60 replies to this topic

#21 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 16 July 2019 - 12:49 PM

10’ of copper tubing to cool the discharge air? Brilliant! Any leaks at the fittings due to vibration?

They're all 37° JIC flared connections. I'm sure that it's possible, but I've never seen one or it's AN twin work loose. I keep expecting the copper to work harden from vibration and crack, but so far that hasn't happened.

Hello ntsqd nice clean looking install. My first thought about the copper is looking like a condensate trap. Might be wrong not an engineer. Have always seen the bleed at the lowest point. Lg compressor’s use a radius tube but don’t think I’ve seen loops.

Russ

Eventually that will be an issue, but the bulkhead on the tab at the compressor base is nearly the low point. Cracking a tube nut there will discharge any accumulation. No more of an effort than draining the tank on occasion.

Anyway, my point was that there is a LOT of wasted space under a pick-up bed and with a little thought it can be reclaimed.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#22 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 16 July 2019 - 04:02 PM

“Anyway, my point was that there is a LOT of wasted space under a pick-up bed and with a little thought it can be reclaimed.”

Agreed!
Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#23 Dirt Rider

Dirt Rider

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 10:07 PM

I know this has probably been covered before, but I see packing so everything does not go flying around is going to be a challenge. Don't want to have to cram foam everywhere
20190528_165933.jpeg

#24 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 17 July 2019 - 06:23 AM

Dirt Rider,

See my edit to post #18 of this thread for links to the mirrors and the interior mods.

Regards,

Craig

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#25 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 17 July 2019 - 12:47 PM

I've found that placing stuff lower in the camper results in less random movement. With the previous Phoenix camper I borrowed the ski3pin's idea and ran a strap with fastex buckles anchored with footman loops across the side dinette's footwell area. I could put our gear bags in there, along with spare shoes etc., and that strap was enough to keep everything in place. Even when I hit the submerged ledge in a very large puddle on Cottonwood Cyn Rd. with a lot more speed than I would have liked to.

I developed an extreme dislike for "bungy" straps a very long time ago. When it is a more or less permanent install I try to use 1" webbing strap with fastex buckles and footman loop anchors. If it is expected to be a short time use thing then a trucker's hitch* in surveyor's string/550 paracord/etc. is my go-to.

*There are two ways to tie this, I exclusively use the "quick release" version. This comes close, but the sequence is more complicated than how I was taught and I rarely use or need the second pass over the hook. https://www.animated...t-quick-release

Thom

Where does that road go?

#26 Dirt Rider

Dirt Rider

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 10:00 PM

Craig,

Did you extend the wiring to make your mirrors still work?

#27 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 17 July 2019 - 10:27 PM

Dirt Rider,

The previous owner did the extension and I have not taken it apart to replace the rods yet so all I can say is that I assume the wires were spliced and sealed with shrink tube. They do function with the mirror switch just fine

Edited by ckent323, 17 July 2019 - 10:38 PM.

#28 Dirt Rider

Dirt Rider

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 03:31 AM

Craig,

Was thinking if I buy a rear view mirror camera that takes additional camera input, I could mount them on the camper overhang, it would give a good view of the sides.

#29 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 18 July 2019 - 08:46 PM

That would be cool if you can find something appropriate.

The image quality of the Pyle monitor/camera combo I installed is not good enough to use as a full time rear view camera. Also the camera dynamic range is limited (cheap camera) so the image is crappy in bright sunlight. It works OK as a backup camera with limited need for distance viewing.

Certainly you can wire an aftermarket backup camera to be on anytime the ignition is on (not just when in reverse) and even controlled by a switch.

If you find something satisfactory I trust you will post manufacturer and model info as well as discussion and pics. ;-)

Regards,

Craig

Edited by ckent323, 18 July 2019 - 08:47 PM.

#30 Dirt Rider

Dirt Rider

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 09:05 PM

Craig,

Still researching vendors, got one recommendation from an inmate here and will look at others.

Hal

Here are some pix from my last trip to AK, guess I should do a trip report. Wish I had the camper then
2019-07-18_02-00-11.jpeg 2019-07-18_01-54-55.jpeg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users