Photo
- - - - -

Hawk on a Utility Trailer - It can be done!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 esimmers

esimmers

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 08:02 AM

Mostly just to see if it can be done, I tried out my Hawk on my 5X8 utility trailer with a 3,500 axle. Here are some pictures.

The sides of the trailer are about 7 inches higher than my truck so I made a frame from 2x8s and joist hangers so the trailer would be supported from the bottom as well. There are bolts in the trailer bed to hold the camper down. I needed to add an eight-inch or so piece of chain to the turnbuckles to reach all the way to the trailer floor. 

The front camper bumpers are about 15 inches back from the front of the trailer so there's a 2x4 brace holding the trailer in place.

Clearance for the cab overhang isn't too bad since I use a Softopper <www.softopper.com>. It's only in the most extreme cornering that there's and interference between the truck canopy and the camper overhang. In a pinch, all I'd have to do is to unclip the rear strap of the Softopper and tip it forward to clear any possible cornering interference.

I haven't weighed the tongue weight of the trailer with the camper on it. Fully loaded, the camper could weigh as much as 1800 pounds. The trailer itself weighs about 750 pounds. The center of gravity is clearly well forward of the trailer axle and the tongue weight is obviously more that the minimum 10-15% of total weight that always must be the tongue weight. My F-250 barely notices the tongue weight, whatever it is.

Like I said, I did this just to see if it would work. It clearly does but hauling a camping trailer is a completely different beast that putting a camper on a truck. Advantages and disadvantages either way.

Anyway, I thought you'd like to see what I did.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Trailer and truck.jpg
  • 3 Wood frame.jpg
  • 4 Loading.jpg
  • 5 Interference.jpg
  • 6 Truck and Trailer 2.jpg

#2 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 13 July 2019 - 01:14 PM

Inventive...what is the tongue weight?  And, not that you can do it now, but a longer tongue length [5'] would allow tighter turns without hitting the camper with the truck..how does it handle irregular road surfaces, bounce?

Definitely outside the box thinking!

Phil

#3 Ohpyramids

Ohpyramids

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationLos ANgeles

Posted 13 July 2019 - 04:10 PM

Nice!

My only worry would be times when the trailer and truck are both pitched up at the ends, such as entering a steep driveway or crossing a washout. Looks like the fwc could smash into the topper?

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 13 July 2019 - 04:16 PM

A hitch extension would solve much of the issue with the over cab/ topper contact.

I am haunted by waters

#5 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 13 July 2019 - 05:19 PM

Tongue weight; weight distribution within trailer and CG will affect how stable this is when towing and under heavy braking.  And without a responsive active suspension system in trailer, this combo will jolt around on anything but very smooth pavement...I have no idea what the results will be..also your Hawk looks like it is kitted out and not a shell, so I suspect the guessed at the "fully loaded" 1,800 lbs is quite low...Since you know the weight of the trailer, weigh the combo and then determine the tongue weight as a % of total.

Not an expert in this but the stability would be my concern; even with the hitch extension that WS mentioned...also, just me, I would remove the jacks, they are just waiting to get hung up or struck..

Again, a novel approach...but why not put camper in truck and tow trailer for anything you have planned to carry in truck?  Good luck.

#6 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 13 July 2019 - 06:47 PM

Weight distribution video

#7 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 13 July 2019 - 07:42 PM

Another tongue weight video. Can go bad fast if too light. 

watch?v=4jk9H5AB4lM

#8 fireball

fireball

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Locationcentral PA

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:10 AM

We love our setup - hawk on a flatbed off-road trailer. So many advantages over the other trailers folks are using I am really surprised more folks aren’t doing this.

Edited by fireball, 15 July 2019 - 02:12 AM.

#9 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:50 AM

We love our setup - hawk on a flatbed off-road trailer. So many advantages over the other trailers folks are using I am really surprised more folks aren’t doing this.

Novel idea to be certain...but for myself and I suspect others who buy FWC the intent was to go without a large camper or trailer which expands where we can travel...can you post photos?

Edited by Wallowa, 15 July 2019 - 02:51 AM.

#10 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 15 July 2019 - 12:57 PM

I have posted this pic here in the past, taken during 2009's BitD Vegas to Reno Desert Race. It was towed by the Full Size Bronco next to it.

i-3bLTzR4-L.jpg

Thom

Where does that road go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users