#11 Leviticus907

Leviticus907

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationNorthwest North America

Posted 14 July 2019 - 03:46 AM

2017 F350 Dually diesel.....48 gal on board tank with 10 additional gal attached to back porch.  Plenty of range....plenty of power....only problem is the payment but that will pass.

Yeah that sounds perfect, having a 400mile range would be ideal!! I could traverse mountains get stuck, use lots of fuel and no worries!
2004 Silverado Ext. Cab 4x4 6.0 2500hd
2016 Alaskan Camper i.e. best decision I've ever made ;)

#12 Leviticus907

Leviticus907

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 03:49 AM

2017 F350 Dually diesel.....48 gal on board tank with 10 additional gal attached to back porch.  Plenty of range....plenty of power....only problem is the payment but that will pass.

Yeah that sounds perfect, having a 400mile range would be ideal!! I could traverse mountains get stuck, use lots of fuel and no worries!

Also Alaskan-less ... but fwiw ,I wanted diesel and picked a chassis that could accommodate a below the frame auxiliary fuel tank for the added range - that's where I put the money.

I'd suggest looking at cost and availability (per ntsqd) of your options.

Does your truck rear look similar to this ?
?u=http%3A%2F%2Falaskancampers.com%2Fwp-

If so, I'd consider making a platform extending out the rear that supports 2 jerry cans. Maybe even spacing out the rear bumper to provide some protection (and a mount surface). Not ideal, esp with the LPG and toilet doors, but functional and relatively inexpensive, imo. Or I suppose perhaps could mount those flat type jerry cans to the upper rear wall. That might keep you going until a new truck.

If you're thinking replacement truck at this time anyway, then I'd say diesel if you can get a bigger or aux tank for that model (check first). And note that a delete may make a difference to the fuel consumption. Might have made a difference on vehicle wear and tear also ...

That is basically the model year truck I'm looking to get the gasser I have now is the older body style. And I was planning on having a rack made, but I was thinking more for a generator which is gonna use up even more of my gasoline so I should probably get solar.....

I had a custom built hitch rack "step" designed that had brackets to attach to the outside points of the hitch. I can easily carry two 5 gallon cans on it (weight is no issue, size is). We use it for water, but gas would work too. Will try to get a photo and upload it.

#13 Leviticus907

Leviticus907

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 04:14 AM

BTW - we are in the market for a 3/4 ton gasser and an Alaskan, so am curious as to what size tank you have and gas mileage? If I could afford a newer diesel, might go that way, but too expensive for now.  Thanks.

I have a 2004 extended cab 4x4 with 33x11 tires and 4.1 gears. With alaskan camper on I get 10mpg if there is alot of highway driving otherwise it's like 8mpg.And I have 26 gallon tank. And i looked into a larger fuel tank but they dont make one. Unless i wanted to jury rig a transfer tank underneath somehow.

#14 Leviticus907

Leviticus907

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 04:19 AM

BTW - we are in the market for a 3/4 ton gasser and an Alaskan, so am curious as to what size tank you have and gas mileage? If I could afford a newer diesel, might go that way, but too expensive for now.  Thanks.

If I buy a diesel I'll sell you mine, I'm in Nor Cal.

#15 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 14 July 2019 - 05:32 AM

I have a 2004 extended cab 4x4 with 33x11 tires and 4.1 gears. With alaskan camper on I get 10mpg if there is alot of highway driving otherwise it's like 8mpg.And I have 26 gallon tank. And i looked into a larger fuel tank but they dont make one. Unless i wanted to jury rig a transfer tank underneath somehow.

Well with that information given ... I'd say, change the truck if you can swing it. Couple J cans aren't gonna cut it to give you the security you'll want in the bush.

Now, if you happen to go long bed with a 7" camper ... could get creative with storage for the genny, fuel,  etc.

#16 Leviticus907

Leviticus907

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 01:15 PM

switched from a 2002 8.1L gas silverado to a 2006 diesel and am getting 2x the fuel economy.  I also researched tank sizes and aftermarket options, and it is virtually impossible to get an aftermarket GAS tank.  Diesel is no problem.  My truck now has a 38 gal tank, and I can get a 62 gal aftermarket replacement that doesn't change the ground clearance.  

VERY happy we made the switch to diesel.

This is exactly what I am hoping to achieve!

#17 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 14 July 2019 - 04:17 PM

When I posted above I was thinking later model gassers than the 8.1's. Those are basically a 500 c.i. Big Block Chevy no matter how you dress them up. Probably not a high water mark in mpg's. No surprise that a diesel does better.

FWIW we went with an Aero Tanks 60 gal. replacement fuel tank under our diesel. Based on prior performance that gives us a 780 to 1100 mile range depending on where and how we drive it. We rarely exploit that. The large capacity means that we now buy fuel where we want to (truck stops), not where we needed to (June Lake Loop @ 395). It does hang down a bit lower than OEM did, but not by a lot. It is the break-over zone though, so there is increased potential for ground contact. With the arrival of the new to us Cuchara XL I don't see taking this truck the kinds of places that we took it with the Phoenix in the bed, so this isn't a big worry.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#18 Rdy2Roam

Rdy2Roam

• Members
  • 121 posts
  • Locationflorida

Posted 15 July 2019 - 07:12 PM

I have a 06 dodge diesel 3500 with the 8' Alaskan ridding in the back. I get around 14 mpg which I'm happy with. I like the idea of a bigger tank which I might have to check in to.

#19 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 16 July 2019 - 05:23 PM

I'm sure that axle ratios have something to do with RPMs on the highway which in turn effect MPGs. If you were to drive the majority of the trips on highways where you could do higher MPHs, you'd be burning either fuel at a higher rate and consequently have lower MPGs.

Any thoughts on that or can you guys post the axle ratios along with engine/transmission options?

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#20 Leviticus907

Leviticus907

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 12:45 AM

I'm sure that axle ratios have something to do with RPMs on the highway which in turn effect MPGs. If you were to drive the majority of the trips on highways where you could do higher MPHs, you'd be burning either fuel at a higher rate and consequently have lower MPGs.

Any thoughts on that or can you guys post the axle ratios along with engine/transmission options?

Post #13 6.0 with 4.1 gears. Any stock 250phd is 4.1. Any stock duramax is 3.73. Idk about dodge ke ford. What are you driving??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users