37 replies to this topic

#31 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 09 August 2019 - 12:54 PM

Modern gassers are no less complex, and quite possibly more so. The difference is that gassers have been going down this road far longer than has diesel. I think the thought was that everything learned in doing this to gassers would translate to diesels, but I suspect that hasn't always been the case. And since ground vehicles don't fall out of the sky when their electronics go FUBAR, the idea of building in redundancy isn't economically viable.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#32 HughDog

HughDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 05:26 PM

Yup - Know your battles no matter what you buy,... Complexity can leave you on the side of the road (gasser, diesel, electric - ha).  I blew a freakin water pump in the desert after last year's Oveland Expo West – (they don’t discriminate).  Got to spend an unplanned day in the fabulous town of Avondale AZ…  and the point here is that shtz gonna break on ya - so be prepared (i.e. good sam towing, tools, emergency kit, buddy system, unplanned adventure, etc). 

That said, I place my preference with diesel, even with the issues surrounding the system garbage that some newer models are forced to come equipped with (Just to put it out there, some of the breed's systems is a complete garbage from a reliability point of view, but some are not).  But, this is not without much thought . . .   

Best ways to address some of the issues =  Don't buy on impulse and do your research.  Stay away from Diesel models and breeds that are first gen conformers to the new diesel regulations post 2006 and have known recurring issues and have not been addressed with actual corrections vs. recurring failures down the road (or be prepared to delete them).  Here we are in 2019, and yes, there have been revisions to many of the garbage systems that were implemented in earlier days.

Also not a bad way to go Pre 2007 Diesel, but ya still gotta go through the research so you don't find yourself on top of one of the other known issues like bad injectors that cost $5-8K to replace!

End of day, when my FWC is on, it’s like a flea on the back of a bison and if you like the option of being over-powered and don’t mind big w/big'ol diesel with massive payload, decent fuel efficiency and most importantly, if you may one day find yourself hauling toyz, 5th wheels, or whatever the next obsession will take you to - big'ol diesel ain’t a bad option!  I am also comfortable enough with myself that I can state that I still love Tacos, they just don’t fit my current adventure needs!

2014 Ram 3500 MegaCab, 1983 FWC Fleet

#33 Leviticus907

Leviticus907

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationNorthwest North America

Posted 29 August 2019 - 07:16 PM

Well I have travelled from, Virginia to Oklahoma so far and should be in Colorado at the great sand dunes later tonight. Everything has been amazing so far with the new diesel. I'm getting 19-20 on the highway 14-16 in town empty with no camper. The vehicle is a dream to drive, the allison transmission is amazing and the power band of diesel is so much better than my previous gasser. And like the others have said my needs will most likely be bigger rather than smaller as I'm planning on getting a boost so now I will have no issues with towing whatsoever. Thanks for all the great info everybody! I'll post a pic of the truck soon!
2004 Silverado Ext. Cab 4x4 6.0 2500hd
2016 Alaskan Camper i.e. best decision I've ever made ;)

#34 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,940 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 31 August 2019 - 06:20 PM

Well I have travelled from, Virginia to Oklahoma so far and should be in Colorado at the great sand dunes later tonight. Everything has been amazing so far with the new diesel. I'm getting 19-20 on the highway 14-16 in town empty with no camper. The vehicle is a dream to drive, the allison transmission is amazing and the power band of diesel is so much better than my previous gasser. And like the others have said my needs will most likely be bigger rather than smaller as I'm planning on getting a boost so now I will have no issues with towing whatsoever. Thanks for all the great info everybody! I'll post a pic of the truck soon!

Yep, I love the Duramax and Allison combo too!

#35 Leviticus907

Leviticus907

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 12:33 AM

Well here is the new truck! Made it back to Nor Cal from Virginia with no issues. I do have a CEL for glow plug sensor but should be a quick fix. Now it's time to get the proper happi jac set up and get to camping!! Oh and sell my old truck. Attached picture has the great sand dunes of colorado in the background.

#36 Leviticus907

Leviticus907

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 12:35 AM

Well here is the new truck! Made it back to Nor Cal from Virginia with no issues. I do have a CEL for glow plug sensor but should be a quick fix. Now it's time to get the proper happi jac set up and get to camping!! Oh and sell my old truck. Attached picture has the great sand dunes of colorado in the background.

Didnt properly attach picture, oops, here it is.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot_20190903-173000_Gallery.jpg

#37 ClimberRob

ClimberRob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationTahoe

Posted 05 September 2019 - 12:45 AM

Nice truck. Great year Duramax and Allison.

#38 karsonb

karsonb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationNW Oregon

Posted 07 September 2019 - 02:00 PM

One thing about diesels, I had a few and worked with many. With the newer low sulfur fuels, you have to add some sort of additive to the fuel if you want to have trouble free operation of fuel system components from the pump to the injectors. There are some good ones out there. Hammonds makes Biobor, as well as a product called Lubribor, the lubribor is very good for adding back in the lubricity that was taken out by making the fuel low sulfur. You will add much more life to your engine if you religiously use some sort of lube every time you fill. Amsoil also makes a superior diesel additive. For my 6.8L v10 as well as my 4.2L v6 fords i use amsoils performance enhancer for gas, eliminates any bad tendencies with gas, as well as improves MPG by about 1mpg just with the additive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users