Photo
- - - - -

trouble shooting electrical connection to the truck.

trouble shooting

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 D_Eddy

D_Eddy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 10:31 PM

My electrical connection to the truck on my 2016 Hawk is not working.   I have cleaned the three pronged connector which has power on the truck side.   Does anyone know how to test the camper side connection?  I have no voltage across on the on the fermale posts despite  being connected to the camper battery...maybe some diode in the way.   The system charges with the solar and with shore power, but no truck power. 

#2 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 17 July 2019 - 04:45 AM

Check wiring to the battery separator.

Check any in line fuses on the battery wiring.

And maybe watch this?

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=W6T4IpnVi5k

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#3 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 18 July 2019 - 01:59 PM

-----

D_Eddy said...

My electrical connection to the truck on my 2016 Hawk is not working.   I have cleaned the three pronged connector which has power on the truck side.   Does anyone know how to test the camper side connection?  I have no voltage across on the on the fermale posts despite  being connected to the camper battery...maybe some diode in the way.   The system charges with the solar and with shore power, but no truck power. 

-----

Welcome, D_Eddy!

When you say female posts, I'm assuming you mean the female pins/sleeves inside the male Attwood plug (the camper side of the connection)  

If that's the case, you may not be seeing voltage there because of the automatic charging relay in between that plug and the camper battery.

As far as testing that side of the connection, I think I'd start with plugging the connectors back together and measuring voltages at both truck and camper batteries with the truck off and then on (after several minutes of operation) to confirm the problem.  I'd first verify I have shorepower unplugged and I'd also disable solar charging --- both a few hours ahead of testing.  (The point of that would be to avoid being fooled by charging voltages from those other sources (or the residual effects on the camper battery) while trying to track down the charging-from-the-truck issues).

If I don't see charging voltage at the camper battery, I'd look for +12 at the ACR's A terminal.  That one should be connected to the truck battery's positive post via the white wire through the Attwood connector (and should have power all the time).  And if no +12 there, check the fuse again and then start continuity testing of the wires.

Also- this ACR Explained page may be helpful and has a link to a troubleshooting flowchart.

Edited by Old Crow, 18 July 2019 - 04:41 PM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users