• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Oilbrnr

Oilbrnr

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationFlagstaff & Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 22 July 2019 - 05:50 PM

Found a '17 in CA that I plan on picking up either this week or next depending on logistics.

Putting in a '16 Power Wagon. Can the factory bed tie-downs be used for the trek back home to AZ?

I planned on using either quality ratchet straps or a combo of turnbuckle and possibly chains with quick links on the OEM hooks.

Once home I can properly install quality bed mounted eyelets and evaluate the wiring portion.

Thoughts?

Edited by Oilbrnr, 22 July 2019 - 05:51 PM.

• 2016 Power Wagon - King/Thuren/Carli/Air Lift/Daystar suspension
  • 2017 FWC Hawk

#2 Ruck_and_Roll

Ruck_and_Roll

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • LocationGrand Junction, Colorado

Posted 22 July 2019 - 06:11 PM

I recently had the same problem.  I went ahead and ordered the install kit from FWC, reviewed the installation videos from FWC, and just did it myself.  They were able to next day air the kit.  Wasn't comfortable with the long drive back to Colorado using bed mounts.  I also had the seller get appropriate measurements of where their eyebolts on their truck were and just did the same. Worked out well.  I'd also get the other fit measurements.

I did the electrical when I got back.

Alternatively, you could have a FWC local dealer do it for you.  There was a dealer about 4 hours from me, quoted me about $500 I think.

-Luke

2021 Ford XL SuperCrew HD Payload Pkg

2008 FWC Hawk

Western Colorado, USA

Instagram: @lukeyfiasco

#3 Oilbrnr

Oilbrnr

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 06:46 PM

The seller is about an hour from the FWC factory. 

We'd discussed the exchange happen there and have the install done by FWC, but not sure how I feel about $500 for something that I'd re-do when I got home with better hardware and wiring job. (guessing on the later)

I'll call and get a quote and availability. 

• 2017 FWC Hawk

#4 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 22 July 2019 - 08:00 PM

Also check to see if All Terrain Campers can do the install for you. They are in Sacramento and frequently do custom work, so can probably do the install to your specs.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#5 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 22 July 2019 - 09:38 PM

I used the existing factory cleats in my Dodge Ram without a problem.  I have a rubber mat on my bed which may help keep the camper in place.  The more difficult part of the installation is connecting to the power in your truck.  You can live without that if you're planning to make a run from CA to AZ.

#6 Oilbrnr

Oilbrnr

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 11:49 PM

I used the existing factory cleats in my Dodge Ram without a problem.  I have a rubber mat on my bed which may help keep the camper in place.  The more difficult part of the installation is connecting to the power in your truck.  You can live without that if you're planning to make a run from CA to AZ.

Yeah I can live without wiring, thanks for the reply. This is going to be a Cannonball run. Or as close as a Power Wagon can do.

Speaking of mounting in a RAM, is the FWC prevented from going closer to the front bedwall due to rubber bumpers at the bottom or restrictions due to interference with the backside of the wheel wells?

• 2017 FWC Hawk

#7 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,583 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 23 July 2019 - 01:29 AM

My opinion, the bumpers are there to eliminate or reduce contact damage between the bed front wall and the camper.

I am haunted by waters

#8 Oilbrnr

Oilbrnr

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 03:28 AM

Yes, but it seems like there is about 4+ inches of clearance between the bedrail and the FWC. 

• 2017 FWC Hawk

#9 hebegebe

hebegebe

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationLA and San Diego

Posted 23 July 2019 - 01:58 PM

Yes, but it seems like there is about 4+ inches of clearance between the bedrail and the FWC.

#10 hebegebe

hebegebe

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationLA and San Diego

Posted 23 July 2019 - 02:02 PM

You can get the measurements for truck bed eyelets from the seller or FWC Drill the four holes and install the hardware before you go it’s easy to make sure you won’t have problems on the road.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users