• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#11 RC1107

RC1107

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 09:35 AM

First time poster, been lurking for awhile.

Good luck with the FWC and build!

Just wanted to mention that the Power Wagon, while a great vehicle, has a lower payload rating than the regular 2500's.  Just beware.  Some of the PW's are in the 1350lbs payload range.  While having a FWC should work, fully loaded it may require some suspension upgrades.  Good luck!

I've read up on a PW/FWC combo and some are ok with it and others say beware due to the PW suspension.  Off road its second to none...but its set up for off road, not hauling.

I retire in couple years and will be going from my 2017 1500 Rebel to a 2500 and a FWC. 

Edited by RC1107, 24 July 2019 - 09:42 AM.

#12 Oilbrnr

Oilbrnr

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationFlagstaff & Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 24 July 2019 - 01:30 PM

First time poster, been lurking for awhile.

Good luck with the FWC and build!

Just wanted to mention that the Power Wagon, while a great vehicle, has a lower payload rating than the regular 2500's.  Just beware.  Some of the PW's are in the 1350lbs payload range.  While having a FWC should work, fully loaded it may require some suspension upgrades.  Good luck!

I've read up on a PW/FWC combo and some are ok with it and others say beware due to the PW suspension.  Off road its second to none...but its set up for off road, not hauling.

I retire in couple years and will be going from my 2017 1500 Rebel to a 2500 and a FWC. 

Thanks. Ironically it is on a stock PW. Owner says it's fine, but it is a fairly bare bones Hawk. Stove, furnace, solar.

I've already built the suspension pretty well over the past few years for longer term off-road trips. Thuren/Carli/King/AirLift/Daystars. I'd built out a shell, and when all loaded up, I'm ~9,500 depending on passenger or dogs.  :D

Be interesting to drive the two trucks back to back and compare. Not sure the current owner has it mounted still. I'll ask.

• 2016 Power Wagon - King/Thuren/Carli/Air Lift/Daystar suspension
  • 2017 FWC Hawk

#13 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 24 July 2019 - 02:13 PM

I ran my Grandby on Tundra for about a month before getting everything installed and just used the bed tie downs.  While not recommended it worked but the only trips that I took with it were staying on pavement or graded roads.

If you need anything let me know, I'm not too far away and work in Scottsdale (near Odysea).

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#14 Oilbrnr

Oilbrnr

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 02:58 PM

Cool. I work at Discount Tire Corp. 101/Scotts.

I'm excited about the build. Couple of the guys I go on trips with have Phoenix pop-ups, and another guy who is on this board, Zoomad, has the FWC K5 Blazer version. After years of watching these types of campers used on above average off-road activities, I'm fairly convinced. 

Longer term goal is exploration in Mexico, northern part of the Cortez and around into Baja. But also ready to roll here in AZ other western states now.

• 2017 FWC Hawk

#15 trailerpup

trailerpup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 11:59 PM

I have a new Hawk shell (950lbs) on a new 2018 Power Wagon. I would recommend not using the stock Ram tie downs. Like you, I installed air bags and cradles. I also installed a Hellwig 1 1/8 inch sway bar and have it set in the middle setting. I have the stock Power Wagon rear springs. With 25lbs of air in the bags it works out very well. The Hemi pulls great, initial 3 day cruise was through Yellowstone and Jackson, truck did very well on all the mountain climbs and curvy mountain downhills, and the 3/4 ton running gear on the Power Wagon, sans heavy springs, is nice to have. I was originally going to keep my 2016 Tundra. But swapped it out for the new power Wagon before FWC purchase. Knowing what I know now I would never put even a FWC shell on a 1/2 ton. Not sure how everyone gets away with it. Just my 2 cents. Enjoy!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_E0289.JPG

#16 Oilbrnr

Oilbrnr

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 05:13 AM

Good to hear, and it looks great on there. Slightly jelly of the smooth side, but beggars can't be choosers sometimes in the used market.

You say you wouldn't recommend the stock tie downs from what standpoint? Not using them to get it home, or just long-term?

I also will have to have the swing outs modified even with trimming or making my own custom front bumpers to replace the FWC ones.

IMG_3350 (2).jpg

Edited by Oilbrnr, 25 July 2019 - 05:28 AM.

• 2017 FWC Hawk

#17 Oilbrnr

Oilbrnr

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 05:35 AM

Here's what it looked like on a recent trip to Death Valley

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190602-leamon_1607410-4551DT19.jpg

• 2017 FWC Hawk

#18 trailerpup

trailerpup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 02:10 AM

I guess, like other folks have said, the stock tie downs will work. When I was looking at used I thought I could do the same, but I was just looking local, no more than an hour or two away.

I have the same bumper on order. I've attached a couple pictures of someone (sorry for not having the info to thank the person for posting the pictures on the internet) who extended the bumper mounts. You can see the gap the extensions provide to clear the camper.

I was just reading that Aluminess has mounting bracket extensions for FWC fitment. Not sure Expo 1 has anything of sort.

Camper shell set up looks cool. What didn't you like about the camper shell set up?

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• 65735105_10212401250181048_2674725526790209536_n.jpg
  • 64264173_10212401277981743_8816540476740993024_n.jpg

#19 Oilbrnr

Oilbrnr

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 04:34 AM

Thats quite the BroDozer!  :)

Hope you eventually get your EP1. If they told you 8 weeks, double that figure. It is a nice bumper, but the latches are VERY problematic. Especially when you're in BFE and they won't open. Kinda makes getting in the back of your bed/FWC a, um, challenge. And, there is no welded hard stop to prevent them from swinging all the way open either. The flag latch pin will not self center themselves, so make sure they are ready to drop into the stop holes. Oh, and if you have park sensors. They won't work anymore. Forget about any after sale support too.

I've thought about extending the whole bumper out, but that kinda kills the departure angle and IMHO will look goofy. I'm going to take it to Randy Ellis Designs here in Phoenix and see what they can come up with to alter the arms and latch positions. Otherwise I'll just have them build a whole new custom one to match the one they build for the front, which I'm going to get from them anyway. 

I liked the shell and had it well setup with fridge, air compressor, place for camp chairs and stove, inverter, lights, awning, full sized table in the Front Runner rack, etc. But every night I'd have to crawl in and dig everything out, and then put everything back away the next morning. Pro/cons. I'm not going to sell it right away since the jury will be out for a bit on the FWC.

What are you putting the EP1 on?

Edited by Oilbrnr, 30 July 2019 - 05:39 AM.

• 2017 FWC Hawk

#20 Oilbrnr

Oilbrnr

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 05:26 AM

Somewhere north of Walker Lake, NV.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3404.jpg

Edited by Oilbrnr, 30 July 2019 - 05:36 AM.

• 2017 FWC Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users