• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#31 Oilbrnr

Oilbrnr

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationFlagstaff & Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 02 August 2019 - 05:47 PM

Is it only bolted to the jack bracket, or does the holder also tie to the camper at the tapered end?

• 2016 Power Wagon - King/Thuren/Carli/Air Lift/Daystar suspension
  • 2017 FWC Hawk

#32 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 02 August 2019 - 07:22 PM

Is it only bolted to the jack bracket, or does the holder also tie to the camper at the tapered end?

It is supported from underneath as well by a piece of stock that is bolted through the camper "wings".

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#33 trailerpup

trailerpup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 10:33 PM

I think the first Hawk was made for a Ford and they called it good. On the Fords they all seem to fit flush to the truck in the rear... 6' 8" bed?

I bought one of the AT can brackets, I got the LP bracket, too. The LP bracket is pretty nice. The can bracket came with lots of major scrapes from the brake they used. The edges in some places were razor sharp. It was kind of hideous at first sight. I had a friend powder coat them both. And, they look great now. 

I ordered the mount kit for the can bracket and sent it back. In my opinion it is way overpriced. It is just a couple pieces of aluminum stock and some fasteners.

My first thought, when I went over my Hawk, was that the batteries needed to be moved to the floor below the front window (in cabinet/bench) which would also allow for more enclosed storage. In the end, my purchase of the AT brackets kind of defeats the idea of keeping the weight low. The may end up on one of the swing outs on the bumper.

Speaking of the front window, they really need a slider option. From what I gather, when they did offer them, they had problems with them leaking. So, I guess the solution was to just not offer them any more?

As you said, the front, between the camper and truck, is wasted space, But, with a slide in camper I found there is a lot of that.

Edited by trailerpup, 02 August 2019 - 10:34 PM.

#34 Bwht4x4

Bwht4x4

• Members
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMorro Bay

Posted 02 August 2019 - 11:30 PM

My 2013 Hawk has been on both my 2005 Dodge 2500 and now my 2018 Ram 2500 and on both trucks it is about 2-3 inches too long.  I have a Wilco Tiregate and have trouble using it with my Ram/Hawk combo.  I'm thinking of grinding the front bumpers around 3/4" to see if that will give me just enough clearance.  My worry is the backside of where the tire mounts to the tiregate hitting the rear door of my Hawk and crushing/breaking it.

2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab, 4WD, CTD paired with a 2013 FWC Hawk

#35 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:06 AM

Hope you eventually get your EP1. If they told you 8 weeks, double that figure. It is a nice bumper, but the latches are VERY problematic. Especially when you're in BFE and they won't open. Kinda makes getting in the back of your bed/FWC a, um, challenge. And, there is no welded hard stop to prevent them from swinging all the way open either. The flag latch pin will not self center themselves, so make sure they are ready to drop into the stop holes. Oh, and if you have park sensors. They won't work anymore. Forget about any after sale support too.

Yeah, the EP1 swingout bumper has become the proverbial dead horse that keeps getting beat in the Tundra groups due to the rage its bringing many owners with the issues of the latches.

2 folks i know personally went back and forth with EP1 for almost a year and eventually both sold their bumpers for a loss and went custom.  Hopefully you have better luck.

Great looking truck/camper!

Edited by So Cal Adventurer, 12 August 2019 - 11:09 AM.

Follow My Shenanigans: instagram.com/campermccampface

#36 Mayday

Mayday

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast, CA

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:23 PM

Hey quick ? From a fellow Chevy owner. I’m picking up a used Hawk and was told by a dealer at 10/40 that I would potentially need to build a platform with 2x4’s to accommodate the Chevy bend at the end of the bed. Did you run into this scenario?

Cheers

I guess, like other folks have said, the stock tie downs will work. When I was looking at used I thought I could do the same, but I was just looking local, no more than an hour or two away.

I have the same bumper on order. I've attached a couple pictures of someone (sorry for not having the info to thank the person for posting the pictures on the internet) who extended the bumper mounts. You can see the gap the extensions provide to clear the camper.

I was just reading that Aluminess has mounting bracket extensions for FWC fitment. Not sure Expo 1 has anything of sort.

Camper shell set up looks cool. What didn't you like about the camper shell set up?

Thanks.

#37 Mayday

Mayday

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast, CA

Posted 16 August 2019 - 03:19 AM

Not to hijack the thread but this video from four wheel camper shows the hawk protruding a little past the tailgate (not flush) with the end of the bed. Do you guys think this is to accommodate the "Chevy Notch"of the truck bed? Apparently Chevy is the only truck that has a rounded edge near the gate of the bed. Will a platform or 2x4's be needed? Or is this how it sits on the bed of other truck models? Hopefully this makes sense. Thanks!  

Edited by Mayday, 16 August 2019 - 03:36 AM.

#38 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 16 August 2019 - 04:33 AM

I don’t believe so. I think it’s just additional length. If the Chevy notch requirement is like that of the old Ranger notch, it’s because of a rounded area on or near the tailgate that causes the 90° joint of the camper floor pack to not fit. If your camper doesn’t have the “notch” the best way is to raise it. On the Ranger, some folks have pounded the rounded area down, but I don’t believe you can do that on the Chevy.

I am haunted by waters

#39 Oilbrnr

Oilbrnr

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationFlagstaff & Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 16 August 2019 - 03:07 PM

I think they stick out because FWC designed them to fit a Ford or Chevy bed 20+ years ago that was longer than what is the current norm for full size shortbeds today. And for whatever reason, they seem to not really care to address it.

For those of us that have the need for heavy duty rear bumpers that provide rock crawling protection while also carrying fuel/water, spare tires or other gear on swing outs attached to the bumper, causes major issues.

I can't address the Chevy question.

• 2016 Power Wagon - King/Thuren/Carli/Air Lift/Daystar suspension
  • 2017 FWC Hawk

#40 Zoomad

Zoomad

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 17 August 2019 - 11:11 PM

Not sure how I missed your thread Don!   I'm totally digging the look of the FWC on the Waggy.   I admit it would be nicer if the gate still fit, but still "if it fits, it sits".  

I think you'll adapt to the use of the camper over the topper.   Not having to unload to sleep and reload when you are done is the ticket.  I'm down to the point that I pull out my chairs and Pelican box with my cooking gear, pop the top up and I'm ready.   Reverse the order and I'm on the road.   

It took me a few variations on my loading to get to the point where I'm at for sure.  One of the big changes was getting the ARB fridge from Richard.  Not having to pull a cooler out of the way simplified what I bring along.  

Interested to see what the fab shop down there comes up with for the bumpers.  

Edited by Zoomad, 17 August 2019 - 11:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users