• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 WjColdWater

WjColdWater

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 27 July 2019 - 11:55 AM

Hello all. I’m currently setting up a 2017 F-150 standard cab with a 8’ bed. I ordered this truck with all the towing options. 3.5 eco, 36 gal tank, 10 speed trans with manual settings. This is my everyday driver love this machine. I’m setting it up for a FWC Grandby estimated weight 1600 loaded. The cargo and passenger payload is 2155 total. I have E-range BFGOODRICH tires coming this week. Contemplating air springs and a rear stabilizer bar. Recommendations on bag brands and bars you guys may have. The camper will only be on the rig 4-6 weeks a year. I know a lot of you guys are running 3/4 ton rigs. Considering the time I will use the camper I don’t want to give up the 1/2 ton economy. Thanks in advance for your responses.

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,536 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 27 July 2019 - 12:41 PM

If it was my truck, Firestone Airbags would be the first thing I would do. I’d next see how the truck handles with the camper on. If not satisfied with how it handles, next step would be to add a sway bar. On my F350, I have a Hellwig Bigwig.

I am haunted by waters

#3 Dphillip

Dphillip

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • LocationOmaha Nebraska

Posted 27 July 2019 - 12:43 PM

I installed Firestone air bags purchased from etrailer.com on my half ton. I installed them myself as it was quite easy. They work great and have been leak free for over four years. I only need to run about 30 pounds of air in the bags to bring the truck back to normal height.

I really like the reviews the new F-150 is receiving with the eco boost and max tow package. One might be in my future in a few years.

Edited by Dphillip, 27 July 2019 - 12:44 PM.

Omaha Nebraska

#4 WjColdWater

WjColdWater

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 27 July 2019 - 12:50 PM

I installed Firestone air bags purchased from etrailer.com on my half ton. I installed them myself as it was quite easy. They work great and have been leak free for over four years. I only need to run about 30 pounds of air in the bags to bring the truck back to normal height.
I really like the reviews the new F-150 is receiving with the eco boost and max tow package. One might be in my future in a few years.

Thanks for your response. With 50k on this truck it has not disappointed. I was a GM guy for 30 years and this is my second Ford. The Ford F-150 in my opinion is the top pick on a 1/2 ton ride. Being a retired carpenter I’ve had a lot of seat time in pick ups. I have done a lot of research on the Firestone bags and Air Lift brands. I’m on the fence between the two brands.

#5 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 27 July 2019 - 01:45 PM

Have you looked at the Helwig product. I went that route because of the lower operating pressure.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#6 WjColdWater

WjColdWater

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 27 July 2019 - 06:21 PM

Have you looked at the Helwig product. I went that route because of the lower operating pressure.
Russ

I will give them a look.

#7 WjColdWater

WjColdWater

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 28 July 2019 - 08:45 PM

Any reviews on Hellwig Big Wig bags?

#8 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 29 July 2019 - 06:17 AM

I used them on our f250, so far we like them.
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#9 WjColdWater

WjColdWater

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 29 July 2019 - 09:39 AM

Russ, thanks for your take on the Hellwig product. I’ve done a lot of research on bags and I like the lower pressure option.
Wayne

#10 moveinon

moveinon

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie Oregon

Posted 29 July 2019 - 07:59 PM

Definitely Firestone.  They hold up well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users