• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 12:33 AM

Has anyone installed one of these in your ATC or FWC?

https://www.customcy...tore/roof-jenie

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#2 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 29 July 2019 - 02:18 PM

I'm not finding a whole lot on the Roof Jenie.

It appears to be an electric motor and hydraulic cylinder assembly designed to replace the hand-crank winch assembly on a pop-up tent trailer... specifically the one manufactured by Goshen Stamping Company for 11 of the major tent-trailer manufacturers.  It actuates the telescoping roof posts, springs, cables, and pulleys built into the camper.  Lowering the roof is done by opening a valve on the hydraulic cylinder.

The site has an interesting article for those who have always wondered how those tent-trailer roof systems work (and that's where I see the mention of Goshen Stamping)....

Understanding Camping Trailers Roof Lifting Systems.

Adapting it to an FWC/ATC would be tough.  I'd think it would be easier to adapt four electric linear actuators-- like those used in the Rieco-Titan roof lift described in this Truck Camper Magazine article and this manual for the lift system.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#3 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,292 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 29 July 2019 - 11:43 PM

Do you think lowering the roof on the FWC/ATC would be a problem?

Sure would save the back.

I'll stick with the roof lifters.

They have worked for 9 years now don't see a change coming.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#4 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 30 July 2019 - 12:20 AM

Do you think lowering the roof on the FWC/ATC would be a problem?

Sure would save the back.

I'll stick with the roof lifters.

They have worked for 9 years now don't see a change coming.

Frank

Frank, if you're referring to the Rieco-Titan electric lift, yes, it's possible for the roof to be stuck in the up position or part-way down due to an electrical problem. The lift can reportedly be operated 'manually' in that case with a flexible shaft you chuck into a drill motor and put into each actuator motor to turn it to lower the roof.  However, I've not yet been able to find anything that says this backup system actually works in practice.  Yes, the actuators have that feature but it's not clear to me that the camper manufacturers leave room for the drill motor and shaft to be fitted into place. 

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users