#1 Ghettofab75

Ghettofab75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationAtascadero, Ca

Posted 29 July 2019 - 03:50 PM

I'm looking for thoughts on camper windows.

I'm in the planning stages for building my own camper  from scratch and would like peoples thoughts on the windows, window layouts in an FWC or ATC style popup camper?

I've heard some remarks about people not wanting the forward most cab window because it becomes a cold spot during cooler travel periods.  I don't plan to travel in the cold much, does this window provide any benefit otherwise?  Is it at all useful for rearward vision, or the ability to see whats on the pass side of the truck when lane changing?  I can't imagine its really useful.

Those with the front dinette floor plan, do you use the side windows much at all?  It seems like the windows would almost be covered up all the time with the dinette cushions?

It seems after researching rv windows, I can find dual pane flip out windows like these, https://www.ternover...tic-tern-window, for as much as a really basic sliding window like FWC uses.  There really aren't that many RV window options, since most are made to order and are $$$ because of that.  Those of you with a camper, do you see any advantage to having a flip out window like that vs a sliding window?

I'm starting to lean towards not having any windows in the side at all, and just using the ones in the canvas.  The canvas ones are higher up and less of a break in/theft risk when the top is down and traveling.  Am I wrong on this?  Would I want more ventilation?  I'm thinking a screen door, two roof vents/fans and the canvas windows should be enough ventilation.  I was also thinking of doing windows in the front and back of the canvas as well as the sides.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Kevin

#2 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 29 July 2019 - 05:12 PM

I'm looking for thoughts on camper windows.

1) I've heard some remarks about people not wanting the forward most cab window because it becomes a cold spot during cooler travel periods.  I don't plan to travel in the cold much, does this window provide any benefit otherwise?  Is it at all useful for rearward vision, or the ability to see whats on the pass side of the truck when lane changing?  I can't imagine its really useful.

2) I'm starting to lean towards not having any windows in the side at all, and just using the ones in the canvas.  The canvas ones are higher up and less of a break in/theft risk when the top is down and traveling.  Am I wrong on this?  Would I want more ventilation?  ...

Thanks,

Kevin

For what it's worth: 

1) I do use the front window for looking back through from the truck via rear-view mirror while driving.  Of course, you have to make sure your rear-door curtains are open, but it is functional for seeing behind (if you don't have a rear-view camera.  And when I'm in the camper I like being able to look out that front window and through the truck windshield -- it's the only way to look that direction from inside the camper.

2) I never open the camper (glass) windows for ventilation -- only the ones in the vinyl/canvas pop-up section.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#3 RicoV

RicoV

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationVail, AZ

Posted 29 July 2019 - 06:47 PM

From my point of view, the biggest reason to opt for a side window is for its use as an emergency egress, in the event your normal door entry/exit becomes unsuitable for any reason.  Some would argue that a side window is completely unnecessary; maybe so, but it gives me piece of mind at some basic level.  I like the awning-style (top-hinged) egress window that FWC put in my Grandby, it fits the bill nicely.  Good luck with whatever you decide.

Rico.

RicoV
2011 FWC Grandby Shell on a 2011 Nissan Titan King Cab SV 4WD

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 29 July 2019 - 07:24 PM

I agree with both Mark and Rico. It’s nice to see out the back, and an emergency exit is a must in my book. With respect to the front window, I do not recommend one that opens. They often leak through the weep ports.

I am haunted by waters

#5 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 29 July 2019 - 09:51 PM

I like a lot of natural light so I had my ATC built with windows on both sides as well as the front window. I like to see what's behind me as I'm driving. While sitting inside I don't like the feeling of being in a cave and if I hear any weird noises I can just look out the window instead of having to poke my head out the rear door. At least one side window is a must for emergency egress. I camp fall through spring and if it's really cold I have insulation ready to put up against the side and front windows. My prior 2 Hawks had front sliders that never leaked but apparently it's a common problem. ATC recently stopped using front sliders on their builds. My $.02. 

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#6 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 29 July 2019 - 10:24 PM

I could be wrong but I think an emergency exit is a requirement. The only window I use is the rear door window and the pop up windows. I'm fine with that.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#7 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 29 July 2019 - 11:51 PM

Front window: We have a slider. Like it for covered ventilation; viewing  forward from inside (we often back into a camp spot but note, the cab window tinting reduces visibility at night); the occasional carrying of long items in camper; potential pass / reach thru to the cab.

Side window: We have a large side slider behind a side couch. It is too low to be of much use for sitting and "looking out" so we cover it with a curtain and store stuff in front of it. and never open it for ventilation as there is no protection from rain.

Emerg exit: As mentioned, window is a good idea tho if you always had the top up when inside, I suppose it wouldn't be hard to cut a vinyl type soft wall.

Windows in link: Those flip outs look good for venting and popping out for emerg. Also uses less wall area than a slider. One caution, I've read the poly windows can scratch easier than glass (think branches).

Ventilation: Top down sleeping (with rear door closed) we rely on our two roof vents, an open turnbuckle port and perhaps the front slider. Note that rain can enter open roof vents if they are open more than just a little bit which reduces air flow (ours anyway) - and air flow is important in damp weather. Building your own, you could add vents to the main living area on any wall.

Windows in soft wall. Perversely, ours are a bit too high for "looking out" when we're not in the cab over berth. They are great for light and ventilation but again, rain protection may need to be addressed.

Edited by klahanie, 29 July 2019 - 11:55 PM.

#8 Ghettofab75

Ghettofab75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationAtascadero, Ca

Posted 30 July 2019 - 03:11 AM

I agree with both Mark and Rico. It’s nice to see out the back, and an emergency exit is a must in my book. With respect to the front window, I do not recommend one that opens. They often leak through the weep ports.

So the front sliding window under the cabover beds leak?  Seems like an odd spot to get a leak being under the cabover.  I don't have a sliding rear window on the truck so I wouldn't install a slider anyways.  

It does sound like a fair number of users like to see towards the back of the truck so that's probably a good one to keep.  

I hadn't considered the emergency exit aspect of the side windows.  So that's a very valid point.  Truth be told I can't for see many situations where it would be used vs leaving through the rear door.  These campers are so small I'm not sure that any direction has much advantage.  I don't know I would even think I had an emergency window in an emergency.  I realize that to sell a camper it has to have at least one emergency exit.  It does get me thinking about possibly a zippered escape flap in the canvas front wall though.  I have also seen large skylights in some campers double as an e-escape path, although I can't imagine climbing up to use it.  I guess if the truck was on its side it would work, although I don't know how it would wind up on its side with the top popped.  I would never plan to have anyone in the camper with the top down, nor do I really plan to ever camp that way.

Thanks all for the input.  Keep it comin!

Kevin

#9 Alvis

Alvis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 30 July 2019 - 03:24 AM

ATC Ocelot - I like my front slider window.  See through camper when driving, more ventilation, ...  Have not had any leak issues.

2015 F150 Supercab 6.5 foot bed 2.7

2016 ATC Ocelot side dinette

http://alvisontheroad.blogspot.com/

#10 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 30 July 2019 - 06:07 AM

ATC Puma, shell... build underway.  It has a front slider, and I am thinking of removing it and having a solid front wall with cabinets.  I use a backup camera for rear view vision.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users