C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 09 September 2019 - 09:03 PM

Glad everything worked out.

Waiting for trip photos.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#12 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 10 September 2019 - 01:07 AM

Wango - Just returned from a trip similar to yours (minus the Dalton).  Covered 10,700 miles in 47 days.  Fortunately, not all of the caribou were in hiding when we were there.    

Attached Thumbnails

• Dempster #1.JPG

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#13 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:23 PM

Missing Link,

Still driving me crazy, spent a ton of effort to see them and a few other animals and zilch. My trip was somewhat hampered by my intention to drive the routes we did. Usually I am a journey guy not a destination guy. Oh well, planning for next years trip is underway and will most likely make it 6 weeks with a two week break to get some work done. I could easily still be there as far as work commitments go.

Guess I just gotta laugh.

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

#14 trikebubble

trikebubble

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:47 PM

Made it back,

9,070 miles in 32 (not nearly enough) days.

Fantastic trip, the Dempster and Dalton were as awesome as I had imagined.

Fires did dampen our days in the interior, but Valdez saved that part.

One crazily destroyed tire, and a hitch extension snapping in half were the only issues.

Lots of mud/clay.

Wildlife was so/so. How do 125,000 caribou hide?

26 Black bears in Canada alone.

Photos to come.

We saw 1 lonely caribou (what is singular for caribou anyways?) on The Dempster last year. Only one. We did see quite a few of those cool little red foxes wandering beside the highway, usually holding some poor other thing in their jaws. Saw a few moose, a sh1t-ton of black bear on the Alaska Hwy in BC (saw no bears at all on the Dempster). We saw the big herds of Wood Buffalo as well....they were very cool. We also saw quite a few porcupines while on the South Canol Road, pretty cool little creatures in their own right.

Hands down the best wildlife encounter was the big lynx we saw sauntering along the side of the Dempster on our way back into Inuvik from Tuk. He was just strolling along like a King on his own road, and when we slowed down to take a picture he just roamed into the bush, taking his sweet time, but quicker than we could get a camera.

Edited by trikebubble, 12 September 2019 - 10:48 PM.

#15 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 13 September 2019 - 12:46 AM

Like Trikebubble, we saw lots of black bears on the Alcan and Casssier Hwys.  Spotted this grizzly on the Alacan and quite a few moose throughout the trip.  No wood buffalo at all.   

Attached Thumbnails

• Alcan Grizzly.JPG
  • Cassier Black Bear.JPG

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#16 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 13 September 2019 - 05:08 PM

Wango, glad you enjoyed your trip.

Yah, the wildlife thing can be hit and miss. Shocking really how much distance one can cover without seeing any. We've just crossed the country and seen few large animals. OTOH sighring can happen when you least expect them. Had two bears walk into the campsite one eve while I was outside reading quietly. And last night heard 3 moose running and snorting by the camper - glad we weren't tenting ! Anyhow, I think it's sometime just luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users