13 replies to this topic

#1 Myfotos

Myfotos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationIn my womb with a view

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:45 PM

I recharge my laptop while driving using a 400w inverter plugged into the cigarette lighter and that works fine.  What I am wondering is if it would be safe to use the inverter connected to the cigarette outlet in my Fleet.  I have two batteries, plus solar and know that it would be a drain, but would I damage anything?  Most likely won't ever have to do so, but just curious.

Thanks,

Bill

2007 Tacoma with 2015 Fleet shell

#2 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 08 August 2019 - 11:36 PM

Hello Myfotos
I can’t imagine that it would not be safe to charge from the fleet batteries. I would think it a waste of power from your camper batteries. Going from dc to ac back to dc has to have wasted loss. Makes more sense to use the alternator, also probably hard to use the laptop when driving.
Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#3 Helmut

Helmut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationSouth America

Posted 09 August 2019 - 03:19 PM

we use a 12v power adapter that you can set to the output yor laptop needs (f.e. 18,5v)

#4 Myfotos

Myfotos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationIn my womb with a view

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:33 PM

Helmut,

Thanks for the info.  Where did you get the adapter?  How would I know the output for my MacBook Pro?

Thanks

I agree, Russ, but am curious.  If I am driving, the laptop is on the passenger seat recharging, but there have been days when I stay put for a few days and have to switch to my iPad which recharges on 12v.

2007 Tacoma with 2015 Fleet shell

#5 Lineman

Lineman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 10 August 2019 - 09:10 PM

I use a 300w inverter that is hard wired to run electronics and charge laptops in my Grandby.

I don't see why you would have any problems using the 12v plug in the camper if your inverter setup works fine with the 12v plug inside truck.

#6 Helmut

Helmut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationSouth America

Posted 11 August 2019 - 02:14 PM

Its not very economic to use a 12 to 110 v inverter, just to plug in a power adaptor that transform it back to approx. 20v. There are plenty of 12 v chargers to choose from. Check for the V and Watt you laptop requires and make sure the plug fits your model. Mine is not a Appel, so i cant help you with that. My Laptop for ex came with a power adaptor that has a output of 19 V and 2.37 A.

#7 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 11 August 2019 - 03:02 PM

Morning myfotos
See helmut post, for the most efficient way to charge. I can't anything wrong with charging from the camper battery, using an inverter in my opinion. I'm no expert so maybe someone else know's. Does charging a laptop requires a pure sine wave charger. I wouldn't thinks so but beyond my knowledge.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#8 Oilbrnr

Oilbrnr

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationFlagstaff & Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 11 August 2019 - 05:39 PM

Ok, if it is a 2015ish MBP with the Magsafe connection, you'll have to use the Apple 85 watt power supply. I looked for a bit last year to find a viable 12v option and I didn't find anything satisfactory. 

I'm sure that it (OEM Apple) is fine running on modified sine wave for your needs.

The bigger question is if the cig-socket and wiring to it in the camper, is up to the task of a potential 15 amp draw. Check the fuse rating to it.

• 2016 Power Wagon - King/Thuren/Carli/Air Lift/Daystar suspension
  • 2017 FWC Hawk

#9 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,897 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 11 August 2019 - 06:11 PM

15A?

#10 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 12 August 2019 - 02:17 AM

See if there is a solution here: https://www.zdnet.co...afe-in-the-car/

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users