32 replies to this topic

#1 KMac

KMac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationMass

Posted 09 August 2019 - 01:30 AM

Does anybody have any additional information on their new campers coming out in December?

I saw some teasers on their Facebook page.

#2 KMac

KMac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationMass

Posted 09 August 2019 - 01:52 AM

I came across this thread on expedition portal: https://www.expediti...ject-m’.207703/

#3 hmt

hmt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationWest of East

Posted 09 August 2019 - 01:54 AM

The most recent TCM article on FWC had mentioned a new product coming. I suspected it was something like that to counter the wedge market. Interested to see more details and weigh the tradeoffs of full camper vs project m.

#4 Oilbrnr

Oilbrnr

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationFlagstaff & Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 09 August 2019 - 04:30 AM

Utility of a bed shell, flexibility to use for camping.

And dust all over everything.

https://campovrlnd.com beat'm to their own game.

• 2016 Power Wagon - King/Thuren/Carli/Air Lift/Daystar suspension
  • 2017 FWC Hawk

#5 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:55 AM

I've been following this and very curious to hear more details.

But from what i can tell, its going to have one of the main issues/reasons i went with an FWC, DUST intrusion.

A great idea in theory, and I'm itching to see more details, but i think it would be a MUCH MUCH harder product to pull off with all the totally different odd ball bed sizes coming out on all the new trucks. A production nightmare.

But very curious and watching closely.

A tailgate delete and door option would make this a ton more appealing

Edited by So Cal Adventurer, 12 August 2019 - 02:45 PM.

Follow My Shenanigans: instagram.com/campermccampface

#6 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 12 August 2019 - 12:53 PM

Biggest pet peeve of ours is the pull-out bed. Having to put the bed away just to make coffee is a full-stop.

Utility of a bed shell, flexibility to use for camping.

And dust all over everything.

https://campovrlnd.com beat'm to their own game.

In case anyone doubted the viability of using 80/20, have a look at their "Camp Tackle" page. Too bad that they don't leverage it to it's best extent. Straps to hold down the boxes when there are much more robust solutions immediately available.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#7 Cummins_Expo

Cummins_Expo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationPrescott Arizona

Posted 12 August 2019 - 02:35 PM

I've been following this and very curious to hear my details.

But from what i can tell, its going to have one of the main issues/reasons i went with an FWC, DUST.

A great idea in theory, and I'm itching to see more details, but i think it would be a MUCH MUCH harder product to pull off with all the totally different odd ball bed sizes coming out on all the new trucks.  A production nightmare.

But very curious and watching closely.

This is such a true statement!  Here at AT Overland  we have had to find the happy medium with the full size and mid size market.  But now an again you get the oddball.  

Sealing dust out can be a challenge with a "topper" on my Ram i had to seal places where the factory said meh close enough.  

365 Camper-  Prescott, AZ.    FWC repairs and Upgrades 

#8 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 12 August 2019 - 05:21 PM

The OVRLND Aluminum panel lift is similar to what I sketched up some time ago as a replacement for the FWC panel lift.

My design has diagonal cross bracing support in the middle but still is an open design. I have not made one up yet.

I worried about the Aluminum tubing under bending load and was considering thick Aluminum billet stamped or CNC machined.. I am curious how the OVRLND units will hold up.

Edited by ckent323, 12 August 2019 - 05:27 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#9 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:15 PM

I have my 160 watt Grape Solar panel mounted on the factory aluminum roof rack. That rack is very thin (1/16" wall thickness, I think) aluminum tubing. I mounted the panel to 1/8" angle aluminum and mounted that to the rack using bolts and Nylock nuts wirh large washers because the amount of torque required began to collapse  the thin wall tubing. It has held up for a couple of years or so.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#10 Ghettofab75

Ghettofab75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationAtascadero, Ca

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:27 PM

It'll be interesting to see how these are priced and outfitted, and of course weight.

It seems like a neat idea, essentially a camper shell that pops up.  No floor pack weight and it can stay on the truck all the time.  I was thinking something like this with modules that slide in would be a great compromise, but in the end I think a fully self contained camper that simply comes off as one piece winds up being better.  Its easier to size for different trucks and once its off it is still fully sealed.  Also the floor pack weight does help to lower the CG of the camper a bit.

Still very curious about these.  My guess is they will be mostly marketed at the tacoma crowd.

Kevin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users