• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JoeKan

JoeKan

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:09 PM

I'm needing to reupholster my cushions even though they are in perfect shape, but they've been around since 1967. The thickness of my cushions are 6 inches and they are 4 feet long (I don't remember the width) but I'm going to reupholster them myself to save on cost. The huge cost is the foam because of the 6 inches. I guess I can go with 4 inch thickness to save money but then it wouldn't be original. What do you all think, 4 or 6 inches? Also, any place where I can pick up foam at? 

1972 NCO Alaskan 10'

#2 kimosawboy

kimosawboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 12:12 AM

Foams have changed over the years, so a vintage 6"  is waaaay different from today's foams.. Do yourself a favor a visit a decent foam shop, explain what your after and try a few different thicknesses as well as types. It is expensive but in the long run its worth getting comfortable stuff. ... Also dont forget that if you go thinner/thicker it might change your seating height when eating at the table..

Edited by kimosawboy, 12 August 2019 - 12:13 AM.

#3 Optimistic Paranoid

Optimistic Paranoid

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:44 AM

Take a look at the Foam Factory.   I'm sleeping on a  mattress from them right now.  Good stuff, informative site.  They'll cut custom sizes for you.

https://www.thefoamfactory.com/

Regards

John

Rule #1 For Wandering The West: DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

I Don't Like To Make Plans.  They Cause The Word "Premeditated" To Get Used In Court.

My Body Is A Temple!  Ancient, Falling Apart, Probably Cursed . . .

#4 popRoid

popRoid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 12 August 2019 - 04:36 PM

My 2018 Alaskan cabover has a foam thickness of 4 in....any thicker and it would interfere with the hinges on the popup panels.  I am considering changing my foam out to an Exped Mega Mat duo 10 which is a combination of inflatable sandwiched between foam and is available at REI.....https://www.rei.com/...10-sleeping-pad

All the best on your choices.

2018 10' Alaskan Cabover/2017 Ford  F350 Dually Diesel

#5 JoeKan

JoeKan

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 13 August 2019 - 01:22 AM

Thanks for all the great advice. 

1972 NCO Alaskan 10'

#6 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:51 PM

As noted, the thickness isn't the deciding factor when it comes to sleeping comfort. I would agree that if you took a cushion to a good foam shop and explained that you would prefer a finished thickness like the one you brought, but want it to be more comfortable I think they can help. I have the original 1976 cushions in my Alaskan and the foam is pretty well shot. It isn't too bad when sitting at the table, but for sleeping....well, you bottom out too easily as they do not have enough loft or whatever they call it, density maybe?

You want a "Goldilocks" foam product....not to soft (that's what happened to yours) and not too hard since you still want some cush for your tush, so to speak...and not too hard either. I happened to have a Memory Foam on a bed in the spare bederoom i "borrowed" and put on as a topper once the bed was made and it's more than comfortable.

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#7 JoeKan

JoeKan

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:27 AM

Thanks PackRat. I found that Foam Factory has some really good prices! And as kimosawboy pointed out, foam today is far better than in the 1960s so I'm not going to go with 6" thickness but probably 3-4". These cushions will be mostly for sleeping on. 

1972 NCO Alaskan 10'

#8 cc7665

cc7665

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 03:04 AM

I put in the Exped Duo 10 and it’s fantastic. I like it better than the foam mat that came in it, mines a 2016. 

#9 nixfwc

nixfwc

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 19 October 2019 - 08:39 PM

Great to hear about Exped mats. Does it get thin enough to be able to leave the bedding on the mattress and fully close the folders? Or can you deflate it to get it thinner and close the folders? I have a 2014 CO Alaskan. Thanks

#10 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 21 October 2019 - 07:22 PM

Even with the original cushion up in the C/O, the sides that fold down are not fully FLAT and then you have to lower the front on top of them. This will distort the Pirelli seal somewhat, so if you leave a cushion or something to support the front wall off the sides, that would be a good idea.

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users