21 replies to this topic

#1 Norsman

Norsman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:54 PM

Help. Currently camping and the alarm is going off every 15 minutes. I haven’t used the propane in over a month and the tanks are shut off. I have a back up detector that’s not going off. How do I disable it?

#2 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:14 PM

More information is required to help. What year camper do you have? What model? Front Dinette, side dinette, sofa? How old is the propane detector? They should be changed every 5-6 years. What is the beeping pattern? It signifies a code, which can be found in the manual.

Help. Currently camping and the alarm is going off every 15 minutes. I haven’t used the propane in over a month and the tanks are shut off. I have a back up detector that’s not going off. How do I disable it?

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#3 Norsman

Norsman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:38 PM

Thanks in advance. It is a 2019 Hawk, front dinette. The detector should be new. It is beeping 6 times in sequence then a long pause then 6 again. Then a red light flashes.

IMG_0586.jpg

Edited by Norsman, 12 August 2019 - 11:39 PM.

#4 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:59 PM

Mine failed when the camper was just a few months old.  Got a new unit from the factory and no issues for 4 years!

Call the factory and have them drop ship a new unit.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#5 Norsman

Norsman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:45 AM

We pulled the 12 volt fuse to stop our bad propane detector beeping. We did not worry and just replaced the propane detector when we got home. Propane detectors have a history of poor reliability.

The fuse happens to be to the 120 circuit breaker and LED lights as well. I’m going to just disconnect the wires from the back of it.

Edited by Norsman, 13 August 2019 - 12:46 AM.

#6 BrianG

BrianG

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 13 August 2019 - 05:58 AM

Mine failed after 6 months, FWC sent me a new one. New one has lasted 3 years.

2018 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel, 2015 Hawk Silver Spur Exterior, Front Dinette

#7 MountainSufi

MountainSufi

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 01:03 AM

I've been informed by 2 FWC dealers even DOG FARTS can set off the LP-CO detector! It takes very little stove top cookin' to set off the smoke alarm. There's a reason even dealers disable/take out batteries on their own private campers... 

The emergency side window exit seems legally necessary, but has anyone in the history of the world used this emergency feature?

I've jettisoned my smoke alarm battery, and will probably disconnect the LP-CO detector when it starts acting up (much more reliable to have fresh air from window cracks).

And admire the view outside my closed emergency exit window...

Edited by MountainSufi, 19 August 2019 - 02:56 AM.

Jackson Hole, Wyoming
2012 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport Long Bed
2017 Fleet FWC, Side Dinette (Purchased from Rocky Mt. FWC)

"We're all in this together"--The Red Green Show

#8 deezlgeezr

deezlgeezr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 19 August 2019 - 06:31 PM

I've been dealing with this problem for a while now; the problem seems to appear when temps inside the camper get high (80-90) or when the batteries seem to be in 'heavy charge', when solar is in direct sunlight. 

Someone suggested that the increased interior temps may cause the linoleum floor to begin 'off-gassing' (some sort of decay process) which sets off the alarm. Since the alarm is near the floor this may be somewhat true. 

But I will agree on one thing: IT'S A GD PITA!!!

I will personally thank the member who posts a solution that actually works. 

Just wait until you 'mash' the beeper off button too hard, pushing it into the alarm, requiring housing diasassembly to 'pop' the button back out for the next alarm activation...You'll get good at getting those screws out!

2016 Ram 2500 4X4 Laramie CC SB AT 6.7L Cummins

2017 Hawk Silver Spur Front Dinette 

#9 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:43 PM

Chewing gum.

Stuff some in the intake hole and the beeping should stop. You won’t be safe but may be less annoyed. :P

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#10 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • 408 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:57 PM

I occasionally have this problem (front dinette Fleet), about twice a month. Fortunately, not continuously. I reset the detector and open the camper and battery compartment door for about 15 minutes.

Word has it that it's the batteries. AGM batteries will outgas just a little bit, typically when charging and that can trigger the detector..

FWC apparently is working on a solution for the front dinette campers, since the back of the detector faces the batteries. You can try placing some kind of a cover over the back of the detector to seal it from the batteries.

2015 Fleet on 2019 Ranger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users