• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JoeKan

JoeKan

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 20 August 2019 - 03:31 AM

I posted this in another section but thought I would get your input as well. How do you all provide power for your camper when you are boon docking or living off grid? I'm wanting to set up a 2nd battery under my truck hood that would be connected to the alternator and the isolater. I'm still not sure what size alternator to get because I won't be drawing much power.

Do you have a dual battery system set up? Would you share what you used and how you hooked it up? Or does anyone have any ideas on it?

By the way, check out my "new" truck I'll be hauling my Alaskan in. It's a 1967 Ford F250. I know she's not a thing of beauty yet, but I'm getting her fixed up to look as nice as my 67 Alaskan. 

Thanks,

Joe 

Attached Thumbnails

• 1967.jpg

1972 NCO Alaskan 10'

#2 Optimistic Paranoid

Optimistic Paranoid

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:14 AM

Biggest problem with modern trucks is that there isn't any ROOM under the hood to mount a second battery, which is why the modern Alaskans put the house battery in the camper itself.  But that shouldn't be a problem with this truck.  I had a 68 Ford pickup back in the day, and there was a ton of space under the hood.

Regards

John

Rule #1 For Wandering The West: DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

I Don't Like To Make Plans.  They Cause The Word "Premeditated" To Get Used In Court.

My Body Is A Temple!  Ancient, Falling Apart, Probably Cursed . . .

#3 Denver Alaskan

Denver Alaskan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 12:08 AM

My 1966 8' NCO Alaskan camper is totally solar powered by two 100 watt solar panels, as described in this thread: 

http://www.wanderthe...kan#entry130934

Never have to run the truck engine while boondocking to charge the battery. Utterly quiet and reliable in the sunny Rocky Mountains. However, if you live and camp in eastern Kansas your weather is more cloudy than in Colorado, so you may need one or two more solar panels. I disconnected the 120 VAC input plug on my Alaskan and use only 12 volts throughout my camper.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users