16 replies to this topic

#11 ExploreDesert

ExploreDesert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMenifee

Posted 05 September 2019 - 03:57 AM

Great report, thanks for sharing. Amazing pics!

Thank you!

Looks like an interesting spot to get some water time in the desert. I like your offroad camping (LOL-overlanding) pic from days of old.

Yup, sure is. Thanks!

Thanks

You're welcome.

I'm not surprised you had it mostly to yourself.  I was at 4-S with a friend and we had it to ourselves also.  When I first moved to the desert, I was exploring around Theodore Roosevelt Lake in Arizona in June and I stopped at the visitor center and I asked why no one was at such a beautiful place and the ranger said 'No one comes here in the summertime, it's just to hot'.  If you're ever at Picacho and it is to crowded, there are a few usable spaces up on Black Mountain with great views if you can live without the river.

Well, in today's age it's almost surprising to to be anywhere without other people around. I guess I expect the worst at times. 

Thank you for the tips on Black Mountain, much appreciated  B) .

#12 ExploreDesert

ExploreDesert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMenifee

Posted 06 September 2019 - 01:19 AM

Headed home the same way I left it, and tried to stop at any roadside markers I could find before it was time to make a more serious push towards my hometown. Closer I got, the more the Palomar Mountain Observatory came into view and swayed my decision.

The observatory closed at 3:30 and according to the GPS I could be there at about 3:10, leaving about 20 minutes to explore the facility before they closed it all down. Given there wouldn’t be a lot of time to actually enjoy it, figured it’d be worth the drive anyways since it’s a place I’ve always wanted to visit and being so into astrophotography it made sense to make a mad dash.

IMG_8969.jpg?w=1500

IMG_8970.jpg?w=1500

I made it in time to check out the observatory and read all the information they have placed along the walls, and it really sparked my curiosity. I can only imagine what it would be like to be apart of the dome opening process, imaging and studying of our known universe (If anyone has a in or a recommendation, it’d be greatly appreciated!!!). I’d love to come back when I have more time to thoroughly enjoy it rather than being rushed, as well as check out other observatories throughout my travels and may start incorporating them along the way.

Afterwards, it was a rather uneventful drive home only thinking and wishing the adventure would continue.

IMG_8973.jpg?w=1500

IMG_8976.jpg?w=1500

IMG_8988.jpg?w=1500

The 200-inch Hale telescope
The celebrated 200-inch (5.1m) Hale Telescope, named for astronomer and visionary George E. Hale, is considered one of the most consequential scientific instruments of the past 100 years. The “Big Eye” was the world’s most prominent and productive telescope between 1948 and 1993, until Keck 1’s first light. The monolithic mirror’s vast collecting area – about 31,000 square inches or 10 square meter – in combination with state-of-the-art instrumentation maintain the Hale’s scientific contribution at the forefront of modern astronomy.​

IMG_8980.jpg?w=1500

IMG_8992-Pano.jpg?w=1500

IMG_9007.jpg?w=1500

Until next time!

#13 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 06 September 2019 - 03:43 PM

Nice stuff on the Hale telescope and good job including it in your trip. It was a major subject in my grade school science studies - the hot ticket item. It made me want to grind glass.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#14 ExploreDesert

ExploreDesert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMenifee

Posted 09 September 2019 - 11:33 PM

Nice stuff on the Hale telescope and good job including it in your trip. It was a major subject in my grade school science studies - the hot ticket item. It made me want to grind glass.

Very cool!

I see it up on Palomar every day from where I live so it was neat to finally see it in person and sparks a new research subject. 

Thanks for reading!

#15 roverjohn

roverjohn

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationKANSAS CITY

Posted 20 September 2019 - 05:12 PM

Very nice report and nice pics.

Are there any times when you would definitely need 4x4 fir this trip?

#16 JimBow

JimBow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationWyoming

Posted 12 December 2019 - 10:30 PM

Nice trip report! Brings back memories. I lived at the Picacho State Recreation Area back in the early 80’s. My Dad was the park superintendent. Also, I worked at the Picacho Mine when it was just starting up again in the early 80’s. Haven’t been back there in 35 years.

#17 desert-trails

desert-trails

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationPalomar Mountain, CA.

Posted 13 December 2019 - 02:51 PM

Great Report.  My wife and I like to camp and canoe at Taylor Lake in Picacho State Rec Area at least once per year.  Great location for wildlife photography.

BTW, I have friends that work at the observatory.  One buddy of mine that was on the fire department with me has worked at the observatory for 40 years.   Give the office a call and see when they have tours offered.  To see it behind the scenes is pretty cool.

Cliff

2018 F-350 4x4 Ex Cab Long Bed

2011 Cuchara

2009 Tacoma 4x4 TRD

2010 4-Runner Trail Edition

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Picacho, Skamper, ExploreDesert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users