68 replies to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 05 September 2019 - 10:01 PM

We do our best to take a long summer trip each year. This year we left on July 31st and returned on August 31st. We logged in around 3400 miles and averaged - old fashion math - 17.1 mpg. More than previous summer adventures, this trip included a bit more visits with family and friends. Where did we go? Let's see - Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, and California. We hiked, fly fished, and worked.

We encountered the usual wide array of characters from the "Texagonians" to the large woman camp host who stopped us as we entered her campground.

"Do you have a spot for us?" the Lady asked.

"Lots of sites," the host answered and continued, "The nicest spots are up on the hill but there's a group up there saving sites for friends that might show up. But they haven't paid for them. They are not saved until they're paid for. If you want one of those sites just take it. I'll back you up on it!"

We decided not to mention we were there for a good night's sleep and not to take part in campground wars. We quietly grabbed a non contested site away from others.

We had many incredible wildlife encounters. Our favorite was the large bull moose walking past the Napa Auto Parts Store. We decided to follow him.

Enough jabbering on. Let's get started  -

Steens Mountain, Oregon - August 2019

and part two -

Idaho & Montana! - August 2019

and part three -

Green River, Bridger Wilderness Wyoming - August 2019

and part four -

Colorado - August 2019

and part five -

Great Basin National Park - August 2019

and part six -

Yosemite! - August 2019

and the final part -

Hoover Wilderness - August 2019

As ever, please enjoy following along. :)

Edited by ski3pin, 30 September 2019 - 10:10 PM.
updated

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 ExploreDesert

ExploreDesert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMenifee

Posted 06 September 2019 - 12:03 AM

I've been following you and the Lady for years and have been a huge inspiration for ideas and where I want to end up later in life. 

Thanks for another great post and always looking forward to the next one. 

- Kyle M. 

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,572 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 06 September 2019 - 12:15 AM

Wonderful report, and... it was at my mountain. Thanks for sharing!

I am haunted by waters

#4 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 02:12 AM

That is most kind, thank you!

I've been following you and the Lady for years and have been a huge inspiration for ideas and where I want to end up later in life. 

Thanks for another great post and always looking forward to the next one. 

- Kyle M. 

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 02:14 AM

Thanks Mr. Sage and please excuse the lapse in memory.......................Steves Mountain, Steves Mountain........................

Wonderful report, and... it was at my mountain. Thanks for sharing!

#6 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 06 September 2019 - 02:58 PM

Looks like a great start to an adventure!  Thanks for sharing!

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#7 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 03:48 PM

Yes, we've only just begun. Thanks for the nice comment, Cayuse. You remind me I need to get back into Cayuse Creek next year for the fall caddis. Next installment on the trip will include the Minnesota Girls.

Looks like a great start to an adventure!  Thanks for sharing!

#8 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 06 September 2019 - 04:48 PM

Thanks for the great report...as usual. Absolutely one of my all time favorite areas, I’ve only seen Wildhorse from above on the road. Maybe next time...

How were the skeeters? Last time there, in mid-June, the campsites below were almost unbearable. Jill and I had planned to camp in the back of the truck but I ended up renting one of the “cabins”...marriage saved!
Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#9 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 06 September 2019 - 08:00 PM

Been looking forward to this one. Curious to see if you hit up any of my bucket list spots!

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#10 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,283 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 06 September 2019 - 09:56 PM

Thanks Ski.Nice fish and wildflowers.

Waiting for more parts.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users