• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 LosAngeles

LosAngeles

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:40 PM

?’s about options on a custom order 2020 Ford F-350 6.2L gasser

I have a couple questions (below) but for clarity - the truck we are about to order (for our forthcoming, always mounted pop-up truck camper) is listed at the very bottom. This is our first ever truck purchase. Please be kind to us newbies. :-) 

so - do we want these following items that we are unsure on?

Unsure if we want the (approx $500) 5th-Wheel/Gooseneck Trailer Tow Prep Package (4X4) as I need to check with Pop Up Truck Camper manufacturer if we need the One (1) integrated 7-pin connector on driver's side pickup bed wall

Unsure if we want the (approx $1,000) Adaptive Steering System - Thoughts? “At lower speeds, the steering ratio decreases, requiring fewer turns of the steering wheel — and less steering effort. At higher speeds, the steering ratio gradually increases, producing a steering feel that is firmer and more controlled.” 

Unsure if we want the BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with Cross-traffic Alert and Trailer Tow (approx $540) as I believe the width of the pop up truck camper will block the BLIS sensors, and make those little yellow lights always on. An owner of pop up camper made by same company, with a similar Ford, said his BLIS lights were always on when the camper was in the bed. 

Unsure if we want the Exterior Backup Alarm. I hear it is as loud as heck, so would annoy neighbors at campsites, but it is a huge truck, and we will have to back out of our driveway, with big hedge up to sidewalk… …. I would never want to hit anyone!   :-/   TBD

Unsure if we want the Black Hood Defector. (about $130)

Any info as to if the LED Headlamps/Taillamps (2019 = $1k option) will be standard on the 2020 Lariat? I hear rumors of YES.  :-)

Unsure if we want the “Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System” ($1,000) to get the included “Customer-Placed Trailer Camera” (we would place it on the camper rear)  

“customer-placed camera will provide a helpful view of what’s behind your trailer. Prep kit includes camera and wiring.

Unsure if we want the (approx $325) Wheel Well Liner - Front/Rear

Washing off the midwest road salt off the underside of the truck (at home) might be harder with these wheel well liners in place…. thoughts?

Running boards - i hear a lot of talk of rusting running boards. Thoughts on aftermarket ones that wont rust (we are in the midwest)?

THIS IS THE TRUCK WE ARE CUSTOM ORDERING:

2020, Ford F-350 , 8’ box-

6.2L V8 gasser, Single Rear Wheel (SRW) 4x4, 

Rear Axle Ratio: 4.30 with Electronic Locking 

11,4000 GVWR Package 

(this GVWR means the tires change to LT275/70Rx18E BSW A/T, 4x4 Tires - at least in 2019….)

Camper Package (for sure, as we are getting a camper) 

176” wheelbase (the longest possible)

10 speed transmission (new)

Lariat. 

Crew cab (5 seater, with front center console)

Skid plates a la carte (not the FX4 package as the FX4 shocks are lousy)

Definitely want to include the Lariat VALUE  PACKAGE (about $700) to get: “easy entry/exit memory driver’s seat, ….. power-adjustable pedals with memory, power heated/cooled driver and passenger seats with driver’s side memory, PowerScope® trailer tow mirrors with memory, and Remote Start System.” 

Power Equipment Group  - should be included in 2020 Lariat. We’ll need to double check. :-)

(Don’t want the $2,000 Tow *Technology* package - we dont need those things as we hate towing and will *never* tow)

we want the Alternator - “Extra Extra Heavy-Duty” (approx $85)

we want the Engine Block Heater (about $100)

we do want the LED Roof Marker/Clearance Lamps (about $95)

we do want the (2nd) Medium Duty Battery (about $210) - this adds a 2nd battery. 

We want the FIXED GLASS rear window. We do NOT want the Power sliding window (unless it is included no charge)

We do want the "Skid Plates - Transfer Case and Fuel Tank” (about $100) but NOT the cheesy FX4 package. (those shocks are lousy)

PowerScope® Telescoping Trailer Tow Mirrors are supposedly included. We want these for sure. 

Tires included are: LT275/70Rx18E BSW A/T

Black Leather interior. (40/console/40 split bench seat)

Yes we want to get the Adaptive Cruise Control and Collision Warning with Brake Support. (may be included in 2020 Lariat)

We will do aftermarket 3rd party floor mats, and keep the stock carpeting.

we want “Inflatable Rear Outboard Safety Belts (Crew Cab®)” (about $200 (if available - heard rumors they are not available for 2020)

We want the “Universal Garage Door Opener” ($125) 

We want the “Upfitter switches” ($165)

For a 2019 - List price at ford.com built this way is basically $62k. (plus tax, etc)

thanks!! :-)

#2 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:53 PM

Re: the 5th wheel electrical connection. If ordering the camper package it should come with a 7-pin port at the front of the bed. My FIL has the 5th wheel package and it basically gives you another port towards the rear. BTW: Ford does a really good job with their 5th wheel package working with B&W hitches. I like the idea of fender liners for all of the reasons stated and more. As for the other items mentioned: those seem to me to be personal preference/budget sensitive decisions. YMMV and good luck with the purchase. BTW: My FIL had a fantastic purchasing experience with his Ford dealership in Prineville, OR. If you can find a good dealership it’s worth sticking with them for service and parts.
Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#3 LosAngeles

LosAngeles

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 04:56 PM

Thanks for the info. :-)

We will use (as always) a broker to order. So awesome. By federal law they can't sell it - so it goes thru a dealer, FYI.

Just the lowest possible price, and zero dealer hassles and games. 

what is a FIL? You used this term. 

thanks. :-)

Re: the 5th wheel electrical connection. If ordering the camper package it should come with a 7-pin port at the front of the bed. My FIL has the 5th wheel package and it basically gives you another port towards the rear. BTW: Ford does a really good job with their 5th wheel package working with B&W hitches. I like the idea of fender liners for all of the reasons stated and more. As for the other items mentioned: those seem to me to be personal preference/budget sensitive decisions. YMMV and good luck with the purchase. BTW: My FIL had a fantastic purchasing experience with his Ford dealership in Prineville, OR. If you can find a good dealership it’s worth sticking with them for service and parts.

#4 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 20 September 2019 - 10:10 PM

I love my backup beeper, it's great in parking lots. I put on an inexpensive aftermarket one and wired the ground/ neg thru an upfitter switch so can disable it. Might be able to do same with the Ford one.

I'd be more interested in whether there was a traction feature with the off-road pkg like hill descent, along with skid plates, rather than focusing on the shocks. Shocks are easy and you're prob gonna change out any stock shock if you keep/use the truck enough.

No mention of carpet delete. You might not want or have the option but we really like ous. Still use a husky or whatever slush mat on top.

Edit: yeah I'd go with wheel liners. For that kind of money they should be standard.

And I think I'd skip the $1000 steering. Managed so far without it 😊

Edited by klahanie, 20 September 2019 - 10:15 PM.

#5 LosAngeles

LosAngeles

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 10:31 PM

(You) I'd be more interested in whether there was a traction feature with the off-road pkg like hill descent,

AFAIK there is no traction feature with FX4 package.

And also AFAIK the hill descent is only for under 20 MPH or something like that. FWIIW.

I love my backup beeper, it's great in parking lots. I put on an inexpensive aftermarket one and wired the ground/ neg thru an upfitter switch so can disable it. Might be able to do same with the Ford one.

I'd be more interested in whether there was a traction feature with the off-road pkg like hill descent, along with skid plates, rather than focusing on the shocks. Shocks are easy and you're prob gonna change out any stock shock if you keep/use the truck enough.

No mention of carpet delete. You might not want or have the option but we really like ous. Still use a husky or whatever slush mat on top.

Edit: yeah I'd go with wheel liners. For that kind of money they should be standard.

And I think I'd skip the $1000 steering. Managed so far without it 😊

#6 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 02:21 AM

Much the same options as the Ram Chassis Cab I ordered last year. (I liked the Ford but she-who-must-be-obeyed preferred the Ram cab and interior- guess what we bought?) Two comments:

A) If you are going to mount your camper permanently I'd strongly recommend a flatbed model. They are MUCH more livable. You can do a "bed delete" and save like 400 bucks. Or even better consider a Chassis Cab model that is designed for flat beds. (However, you can't get the super high trim models in some Chassis Cab models.)

B) A Crew Cab with an 8' bed is going to be really loooooong. But I'm sure you folks have though this one through. We went with a regular cab (just the two of us) with a 22 wide crossbox behind it and a Grandby Flatbed and can (barely) fit in a standard shopping center parking space. (Sure wish I could post photos here.)

Best wishes,

Steve

#7 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 21 September 2019 - 05:34 AM

FIL = father in law. I’ve thought about using a broker in the past. Worth looking into? As Durango 1 mentioned, you’ll be really long. When my FIL went from his ‘95 Dodge standard cab long bed to the Ford crew cab long bed he had to rethink all sorts of things. But amazingly, for a battleship, that Ford sure drives nice!
Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#8 Lineman

Lineman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 21 September 2019 - 11:19 AM

I would not get the goose neck prep, unless you plan on towing a goose neck/5th wheel.  No to the wheel well liners, it is better to have more access to wash the under body.  No to the backup alarm, unless corporate safety forces you ;)  Actually, I would skip everything on the unsure list; it can all be added later if the need arises.

I would also not get the camper prep package, for a pop up camper.  The camper prep package maxes out the front springs (6600 lb), this causes a very stiff ride.  I have an F250 with the 6.2 that came with 6600 lb springs and had my front springs replaced with a 4500 lb set to improve the ride.  The campers on this website will not put much weight on the front axle.

#9 LosAngeles

LosAngeles

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 06:36 AM

..... I would also not get the camper prep package, for a pop up camper.  The camper prep package maxes out the front springs (6600 lb), this causes a very stiff ride.  I have an F250 with the 6.2 that came with 6600 lb springs and had my front springs replaced with a 4500 lb set to improve the ride.  The campers on this website will not put much weight on the front axle.

It is my understanding that the camper prep package alone does not change the front springs stiffness.

It is the plow package that beefs up the front springs. 

As far as I know. 

:-)

#10 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 03:48 PM

If you have a lot of 12v electrical appliances and want the 5th wheel electrical connection to charge the house battery, keep in mind it has 14-12ga wire on the charge circuit(check to see if the factory harness has heavier ga wiring) which will limit the amount of charging that will take place, especially on short runs. I have a minimal requirement for 12v power and don't require a lot of house battery charging while driving but it is something I wanted,. I added my own for way less than $500, I think I paid about $75 for the kit, bought it from Etrailer and it took about an 1.5hrs. to install. Have you considered the new 7.3 gasser that should be avail. this year? I have the 6.2 w/3.73 gear in a 2012 super cab short bed and while it is adequate for me, you'll be pushing a lot more weight down the road. I don't have any experience with the 10spd and the 4.30 configuration so you might be fine. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users