• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 20 September 2019 - 10:38 PM

For those thinking about driving a loop thru new found land and labrador I thought I'd post a few comments about the northern ferry connection. We recently (early Sept) tried to cross from lab to newf and this is what we learned and would have been useful to know beforehand :

1. The boat doesnt always sail. Weather dependent of course but it may be the case more than you might imagine.

2. 75% of the approx 120 vehicle spots are reservable. Costs $10 and that goes toward ~$35 fare - if you can use it.

3. The remaining 25% go to the old reservations first (from times the boat did not sail), IF they are claimed. And there could be a considerable backlog (see #1). Next up are the no reserves drop ins.

4. Everyone must check in ( this might be new). Reserves have an advance time requiremant to remain valid. The rest are first come first served but they are verbally called out some time after check in so you need to be waiting near the counter.

It's not always a perfect system but the Labraborians and Newfoundlanders were good as gold about it when we were there (day before Dorian was to hit the area). We were only tourists and knew our place.

Take away is to reserve 2 or 3 days sailings in advance - if you can. And be prepared to wait things out, or bail. If you've travelled cw thru lab first and bail, it's a 1700km, 3 day drive back to Baie Comneau. And further again to the Sydney crossing.

No complaints here, just an FYI.

HTH someone.

Edited by klahanie, 20 September 2019 - 10:41 PM.

#2 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 24 September 2019 - 06:04 PM

Do you think the postponements were due to Dorian or is this a common occurrence?

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#3 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 24 September 2019 - 10:21 PM

Not uncommon, from what I gather talking to a few people, after the fact and in different locals.

If I got it right the boat sailed 3 of the previous days before our attempt, which was the day before Dorian. I was told tho that Sept blows. July, Aug might be better, IDK.

It is a new ship for this run, put into service earlier this year. I expect the co. operates with an abundance of caution, perhaps because of the vessel choice but I'm not a sailor...

Reservations cramp our style but it is my recommendation (and what the locals do). Might also be prudent to travel the loop CCW as there is "more" to do, services, options etc on the Newf side, if plans are delayed.

We ran from the Lab coast as the storm was to travel right up the strait. Soft top sleeping is not at it's best in such a storm but if the boat is ever not sailing it's likely windy anyways.

#4 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 25 September 2019 - 11:46 AM

^ that should have been sailed 3 of the previous 7 days. So there was a backlog before the effect of Dorian. And presumably would be worse with a few days out for the storm.

Of course some folks would just bail on their bookings. Sucks if for family visits, work, appts etc. We had wheels and time so no biggie.

#5 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 26 September 2019 - 03:03 PM

I follow a YouTube channel called 'Venture4WD' by Chris Shontz, a guy from my area who has been traveling nearly full-time in his Jeep/UrsaMinor rig for several years. 

He made the crossing from Newfoundland to Labrador last week and had a weather delay....

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#6 Edgewood

Edgewood

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • LocationBellingham WA

Posted 27 September 2019 - 07:12 PM

I like how that guy travels and now am subscribed. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users