• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • 403 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 21 September 2019 - 09:26 PM

Where are folks mounting their MPPT charge controllers?

I currently have a 15 A Morningstar MPPT mounted on the backside of the fascia panel (a battery monitor occupies the location of the original Zamp controller). But at 15 A, there's not much heat dissipation and it has no heat sink. I'm looking at the 20 A, the Victron (to add another panel) and it sticks out 2" with the heat sink.

If you are mounting it on the front of the fasia, is bumping into / catching things on it a problem? If you have a 20 A or higher MPPT, how much heat do you find that it dissipates?

2015 Fleet on 2019 Ranger

#2 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,051 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 22 September 2019 - 11:21 AM

I have the Victron 100/20 (very nice) I have it mounted inside the battery box on the side wall (vertically) as it does have a heat sink fin on the back. I first mounted it on a small piece of wood 4" x 5" ...then make clips on the wall of the battery box to slide it into position  allowing me to remove it easily if I need to remove battery at some point. 

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#3 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 23 September 2019 - 04:45 PM

+1 ... I have a 100/30 Smart Victron, so it is a little bulky, but am happy with it mounted in the battery box out of the way. Can’t speak to heat dissipation but, this summer with 100F+ on multiple occasions, have noted nothing dissimilar. Battery box has 2 small vents probably identical to above post. Mounted directly to wall. Don’t need line of sight w/built in Bluetooth.

Attached Thumbnails

• E27AFEA8-52C6-4A30-9F32-F9F063179724.jpeg

Edited by Stokeme, 24 September 2019 - 12:58 AM.

#4 Bwht4x4

Bwht4x4

• Members
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMorro Bay

Posted 23 September 2019 - 08:25 PM

In my battery box.

2Ea1mTlOuq6B5SWDU3fFTPjYz_X6UJxz_EWVRRSk

2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab, 4WD, CTD paired with a 2013 FWC Hawk

#5 six5

six5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 09:59 PM

I mounted my Renogy Rover 20 behind and above the couch so I can see it. It's only about a 2' long run to the battery box. I had to do a bit of metal trimming so when the couch is made into a bed it wouldn't pinch wires. It seems pretty good. 

#6 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 25 September 2019 - 01:29 AM

in the battery box. victron 100/30, wire length is 6 to 12”, 6 gauge

#7 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • 403 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 25 September 2019 - 07:14 PM

I forgot to mention that our Fleet is front dinette - so the battery box is a lot smaller and it is stuffed full with 2 Full River 224 Ah batteries.

Six5 - do you notice much heat dissipation from your Renogy Rover 20?

#8 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • 403 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 29 September 2019 - 10:41 PM

There was a lot more room behind the fascia, so I mounted the Victron there. It's has bluetooth interface and supports lithium batteries (for when my AGMs reach there demise)..

Attached Thumbnails

• CC Location.jpg

#9 Redfish

Redfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationNorth-Central Florida

Posted 07 December 2019 - 01:30 PM

Cabinet.jpg

Jack,

Timely post. I have the same need. I'm just about to buy and install a Victron 100/20 in my 2016 front dinette Fleet. I'll also (finally!) be installing the Victron BM at the same time.

What vintage is your fleet? I have the factory hot water system, so I think I have a different setup and less room than you, but was looking at installing it in approximately the same position (in my photo, in place of the small gray electrical box). Even with the 2 regular factory AGMs, there is no room in the battery box.

I maybe could install it where my current GoPower PWM controller/monitor is mounted, but on the back side of the cabinet fascia. I'll have to make a custom cover for hole left over from the GoPower monitor in any case.

-How easy is it to pop the cabinet fascia off? Any cautions, tips or tricks before I take it off?

-How hot does the controller actually get? Any issues with it being close to wiring, plumbing?

-Did you install the temp sensor, given that there's likely some difference in temp between the kitchen cabinet and the battery box in cold weather? Temps in my battery box are the same as outside in cold weather regardless of temp in the camper.

Many thanks for your advice and experience.

2016 Tacoma 4x4 V6 SR5 AT

2016 FWC Fleet

#10 Desert Scruff

Desert Scruff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 02:30 PM

I have a 2016 Fleet with a front dinette. I installed a 100/30 Victron controller, a battery monitor and the battery temperature sensor. I have Blue Tooth on the controller and wish I had got it on the battery monitor. I tried the Victron controller in the space where the old controller was but it protruded too far into aisle, which already is close quarters. There is not room in the battery area so I placed it inside the cabinet above the battery box. That cabinet is open at the top allowing air movement. I have felt the controller often to check on heat and have never found it more than slightly warm. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users