Photo

Sealant, Weatherproof Tape, & Coating; Or Just Sealant & Coating?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BreakAes

BreakAes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 04:31 AM

Someone in one of my threads said he used 3 types of products when sealing his RV: Sealant, Eternabond Tape, and an RV Coating.

I watched a couple videos where people are using Eternabond Tape, and like it:

https://youtu.be/AgNaUgPiwaE
https://youtu.be/spdYGUtZVcU

But other people have warned me about using Weatherproof Tape like the Eternabond brand. And I read that if there's an issue with the tape, water can get inside it and cause problems, and sometimes screws can eventually poke through it, if you run the tape over screws.

I also saw that the 4EvaSeal brand of tape might be better than the Eternabond brand, but I've never used these tapes.

At this point I'm leaning towards just using non self-leveling sealant for the sides of my truck camper, and self-leveling sealant for the roof, and finding the best RV Coating for aluminum, as a secondary measure to seal the camper.

I haven't even gotten to use my camper at all since I bought it, due to a leak somewhere. Whatever route I take, I want it to be done right the first time, and hopefully for the lifetime of this camper, or at least for the duration that I own it!

I also need to do more research into RV Coatings for aluminum, but so far the Henry's brand seems like it might be good.

Let me know your thoughts on using Weatherproof Tape, and/or if just using Sealants and an RV Coating is a good idea.

Thanks.

#2 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 24 September 2019 - 04:05 PM

On our RV roof I’ve had good luck with the Eternabond tape and self-leveling sealant where the tape butts up against a penetration, ie vent, air conditioner, etc. We haven’t had many leaks, but when we do it has always been where there is that penetration.
Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#3 BreakAes

BreakAes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 01:08 AM

Thanks, I have a 1996 Lance Squire 8000, and I understand it has an aluminum roof.

At this point, for the roof I'm thinking about using Heng's NuFlex 311 Self-Leveling Silicone as a sealant, and Henry Tropi-Cool 887 Silicone White Roof Coating afterwards.

In one of the Amazon reviews for Heng's NuFlex 311 someone said, "Sticks well to other silicones (including CSL)."

Does anybody know if the Henry Tropi-Cool 887 Coating will stick to the Lance aluminum roof without using a primer?

And let me know if you have any other thoughts.

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 26 September 2019 - 01:27 AM

Used it on mine without a primer and it stuck just fine. Just prepped according to the directions.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users