19 replies to this topic

#1 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 26 September 2019 - 07:43 PM

There are some WTW'ers who share my own fascination with the portion of southwestern Montana known as the Gravelly Range and its signature +30 mile above-timberline drive known as the Gravelly Range Road. Myself, I'd eyed it on the Benchmark for years and been on something of a mission for pics and videos of the area before completing a one-day traverse from south to north one year ago yesterday.  It was a Tuesday and the only people encountered were a lone cowboy on horseback at the edge of the Centennial Valley as we ascended towards the Gravelly Range Road and a dozen, dozen and a half elk hunters, mostly scouting for the coming rifle season, but including a few bow hunters since it was already bow season, as it is out there today.  

Ten days ago, on Monday the 16th, a pair of elk hunters near Black Butte encountered a grizzly in the early morning and were attacked.  They managed to drive it away with bear spray even though it came at them repeatedly. Late that same afternoon, and only about a mile distant, two other hunters were attacked.  Those two opened fire with firearms during the attack--the first while the bear was at the neck of his buddy, and the bear was driven away.  Of the 4 hunters, three were injured enough to need medical treatment and one was hospitalized for at least several days.  A 4 day search turned up no grizzly, so signs went up advising of a wounded grizzly in the area.  

On Tuesday of this week, one hunter was attacked by a grizzly at a point about 8 miles south of the area of the first two attacks. The grizzly was driven off by gunfire but not before injuring the hunter.

Both areas are on the western slope of the southern end of the north-south range/plateau of the Gravelly Range and are within the upper portions of the Ruby River drainage, generally between Cottonwood Creek and Coal Creek.

The whole thing makes me feel even more foolish about not having bear spray when we were close by the year before.  The day before our Gravelly Range Road traverse, we'd driven to Hidden Lake in the hills between the Gravelly Range and the Madison Range.  It was only a half-mile walk down a narrow ravine from the Jeep trail's end to the lake so we just "went for it", sans protection of any sort. As we hiked out a couple of hours later, we encountered some locals hiking in.  It was 3 generations of Montanans from the Sheridan area. The grandpa had identified our rental Jeep as being licensed in Bozeman so he was already skeptical of our good sense.  He looked us up and down and quickly said "Where's your bear spray?".  When we admitted we had none, he just shook his head and said "best of luck to you" and proceeded down towards the lake. We'd noticed the youngest, a teenaged boy, had his canister in his right hand while his flyrod was in his left hand.  Dad and Grandpa had their canisters in belt holsters ready for quick deployment.

That was a very dumb move which didn't cost us anything but which won't be repeated. Mr. Griz is expanding his range in southwestern Montana and his presence has been confirmed in the West Pioneers and on the western side of the Big Hole since the summer of 2016, each being areas where the last confirmed sightings had been around 100 years ago. In the Fall of 2016, two elk bow hunters "contributed" the cow elk they were blood tracking to a grizzly which was paralleling them and began to huff and growl as they approached the downed elk.

Be careful out there!

Foy

#2 Vic

Vic

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Locationcamping somewhere in the Sierra Nevada range

Posted 27 September 2019 - 04:06 AM

Good reminder - I've been following this story as well - my old stomping grounds (MSU grad). 

Its their world, we are just visiting.  

I fish Yellowstone a couple of times a year - I call it 'fishing with bear spray.'  

"I took the road less traveled.  Now I don't know where I am"

2014 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel & Hallmark Everest.  (Former Rig - 99 Ram 2500/ 2000 Sunlite Eagle pop-up)

#3 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 08:05 AM

I think there are more grizzlies than the "confirmed sightings" indicate. I saw a grizzly on an elk carcass while bow hunting West of Hwy 15 out of Grant Mt, 10-12 years ago. I was up close too close. The local cowboys knew about it and said it had killed several of their calves. Hunters get attacked and killed every year. Wyoming and Idaho tried to have a grizzly season last year but got squashed by the courts. Maybe next year.

Edited by cwdtmmrs, 27 September 2019 - 08:06 AM.

CWDT

#4 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 27 September 2019 - 08:53 AM

I think there are more grizzlies than the "confirmed sightings" indicate. I saw a grizzly on an elk carcass while bow hunting West of Hwy 15 out of Grant Mt, 10-12 years ago. I was up close too close. The local cowboys knew about it and said it had killed several of their calves. Hunters get attacked and killed every year. Wyoming and Idaho tried to have a grizzly season last year but got squashed by the courts. Maybe next year.

That's exactly what the ranchers in the Big Hole say--"been seeing grizzlies for years".  in 2016 some game cams and the up close encounter at the downed cow elk gave wildlife officials enough details to "confirm" the sightings.  

I'm sure as heck not going hiking or fishing out there without bear spray ever again.

Foy

#5 Rob in MT

Rob in MT

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 03:42 PM

The Teepee Creek area had been closed late August due to high numbers of bears in the area.

#6 BillTheHiker

BillTheHiker

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 27 September 2019 - 03:46 PM

This is second hand, but I know a ranch owner in central Mt mauled by a griz July 2018 not far from his house. It is about 40 miles North of Missori R. and màybe 70 miles West of US 191. After it threw him down he smacked it between the eyes with a large shovel and it ran off. I saw the wounds 4 months after: face shoulders arms legs, he lost most use of left hand.

I camped nearby for 4 days, hiked a lot but never saw a bear or tracks. This is out in rolling grassland pretty far from the Rockies.

#7 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 27 September 2019 - 08:11 PM

The Teepee Creek area had been closed late August due to high numbers of bears in the area.

I forgot how close that area is to the area of this week's attack--around 10 miles E-SE from the Eureka Basin (and one part of the closed area was only 4 miles from my foolishness at Hidden Lake last year!). Teepee Creek/Lobo Mesa is within the upper part of the West Fork of the Madison River drainage.  Montana FWP estimated as many as 20 grizzlies were in the area feeding on a group of dead cattle which had eaten larkspur while grazing on public land.  The closure was announced on Aug 30 according to the Montana Standard's online newspaper reporting.

As to grizzlies in the Great Plains east of the Rocky Mountain Front, if I recall my Lewis & Clark reading correctly, the greatest frequency and ferocity of encounters they had with grizzlies was in the area of Great Falls/upper Breaks.  Wonder if there was a connection between to that area being the 'great hunting grounds" for bison by the Native American tribes?

Foy

#8 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 05 November 2019 - 02:32 PM

On Saturday, Nov 2, a grizzly was killed in the Eureka Basin area of the southernmost Gravelly Mountains.  The Eureka Basin is part of the same general area where three separate attacks by grizzlies occurred at the beginning of elk archery season back in September.  The individual who killed the grizzly cited self-defense. Montana's regular season on elk and deer came in on Saturday and the Montana FWP had warned of greatly increased grizzly presence and activity in the West Yellowstone and nearby areas (including the Gravelly Range).  Hunters working downed game are advised to set up security as they field dress their game.  It's wild and wooley out there, folks!

#9 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 05 November 2019 - 05:17 PM

Over the years on our visits to Yellowstone we have seen several grizzly's.

Our first encounter was at the top of Dunraven pass.

We were parked on the shoulder of the road and a big "silver" tip came walking along the other side of the road.

Didn't pay us any attention just walked away along the road.

We carry spray on our hikes and OBEY the closure signs.

Like others say,it's their country out there.

Stay safe,and carry bear spray.

Thanks for the stories.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#10 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 07 November 2019 - 12:21 AM

My hair was standing straight up as we drove by all the wounded grizzly signs and when I got out to capture a picture of the sign with Black Butte in the background. jd

There are some WTW'ers who share my own fascination with the portion of southwestern Montana known as the Gravelly Range and its signature +30 mile above-timberline drive known as the Gravelly Range Road. Myself, I'd eyed it on the Benchmark for years and been on something of a mission for pics and videos of the area before completing a one-day traverse from south to north one year ago yesterday. It was a Tuesday and the only people encountered were a lone cowboy on horseback at the edge of the Centennial Valley as we ascended towards the Gravelly Range Road and a dozen, dozen and a half elk hunters, mostly scouting for the coming rifle season, but including a few bow hunters since it was already bow season, as it is out there today.

Ten days ago, on Monday the 16th, a pair of elk hunters near Black Butte encountered a grizzly in the early morning and were attacked. They managed to drive it away with bear spray even though it came at them repeatedly. Late that same afternoon, and only about a mile distant, two other hunters were attacked. Those two opened fire with firearms during the attack--the first while the bear was at the neck of his buddy, and the bear was driven away. Of the 4 hunters, three were injured enough to need medical treatment and one was hospitalized for at least several days. A 4 day search turned up no grizzly, so signs went up advising of a wounded grizzly in the area.

On Tuesday of this week, one hunter was attacked by a grizzly at a point about 8 miles south of the area of the first two attacks. The grizzly was driven off by gunfire but not before injuring the hunter.

Both areas are on the western slope of the southern end of the north-south range/plateau of the Gravelly Range and are within the upper portions of the Ruby River drainage, generally between Cottonwood Creek and Coal Creek.

The whole thing makes me feel even more foolish about not having bear spray when we were close by the year before. The day before our Gravelly Range Road traverse, we'd driven to Hidden Lake in the hills between the Gravelly Range and the Madison Range. It was only a half-mile walk down a narrow ravine from the Jeep trail's end to the lake so we just "went for it", sans protection of any sort. As we hiked out a couple of hours later, we encountered some locals hiking in. It was 3 generations of Montanans from the Sheridan area. The grandpa had identified our rental Jeep as being licensed in Bozeman so he was already skeptical of our good sense. He looked us up and down and quickly said "Where's your bear spray?". When we admitted we had none, he just shook his head and said "best of luck to you" and proceeded down towards the lake. We'd noticed the youngest, a teenaged boy, had his canister in his right hand while his flyrod was in his left hand. Dad and Grandpa had their canisters in belt holsters ready for quick deployment.

That was a very dumb move which didn't cost us anything but which won't be repeated. Mr. Griz is expanding his range in southwestern Montana and his presence has been confirmed in the West Pioneers and on the western side of the Big Hole since the summer of 2016, each being areas where the last confirmed sightings had been around 100 years ago. In the Fall of 2016, two elk bow hunters "contributed" the cow elk they were blood tracking to a grizzly which was paralleling them and began to huff and growl as they approached the downed elk.

Be careful out there!

Foy

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users