19 replies to this topic

#11 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 07 November 2019 - 01:12 PM

When I think back at my abject stupidity about the "total lack of precautions" hike in to Hidden Lake in late September 2018, my neck hair stands up, too.  

Ol' Grizz ain't getting a second chance on this old boy, however!

Foy

#12 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,959 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 07 November 2019 - 11:37 PM

We were up on the Gravelly Range in mid September, about a week before the attacks.  Likely talked with the hunters involved.  We were stopped for lunch and 3 quads stopped by to chat, and compare notes with each other, with us as curious witnesses.  They argued the merits of bear spray vs guns.  I think it was the young feller who I spotted packing a BIG six-shooter on his hip who may have saved his buddy that was getting his neck mauled.

I marvel over how different the bear stories are up in the frozen wastes of Canada (-20*C here in Calgary this morning...brrrrr).  I've been hiking and backpacking in bear country for many decades.  I sometimes carry bear spray.  No bear incidents. 

I liken going hunting in the fall with jumping into the ocean with a bunch of bloody meat in the water with me... sharks attack... would I be surprised at that?  Nope....

On the Gravelly Range Road

#13 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,293 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 08 November 2019 - 12:01 AM

I liken going hunting in the fall with jumping into the ocean with a bunch of bloody meat in the water with me... sharks attack... would I be surprised at that?  Nope....

I like that Vic. That's asking to be eaten.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#14 Luckytibbs

Luckytibbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 08 November 2019 - 03:56 AM

We were up on the Gravelly Range in mid September, about a week before the attacks. Likely talked with the hunters involved. We were stopped for lunch and 3 quads stopped by to chat, and compare notes with each other, with us as curious witnesses. They argued the merits of bear spray vs guns. I think it was the young feller who I spotted packing a BIG six-shooter on his hip who may have saved his buddy that was getting his neck mauled.

I marvel over how different the bear stories are up in the frozen wastes of Canada (-20*C here in Calgary this morning...brrrrr). I've been hiking and backpacking in bear country for many decades. I sometimes carry bear spray. No bear incidents.

I liken going hunting in the fall with jumping into the ocean with a bunch of bloody meat in the water with me... sharks attack... would I be surprised at that? Nope....

Good analogy. Never thought of it that way but it truly makes sense.

#15 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:27 AM

Vic, I mostly agree with all of your posts, but that is just a crazy statement.

CWDT

#16 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 08 November 2019 - 01:56 PM

The grizzly contact over in the Big Hole a while back (2016?) occurred as a father and son approached a downed cow elk they had been tracking.  Grizz apparently got there first and let them know that they should not approach any closer, so they left the scene.  

Montana FWP has been advising hunters engaged in gutting and field dressing downed game to work in pairs with one working the carcass and the other maintaining security watch. I don't recall reading is the 3, now 4, contacts in the southern Gravellies involved downed or wounded game being tracked.

Foy

#17 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,335 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 08 November 2019 - 03:17 PM

Bears are smart. Grizzlies in the northwest move to salmon spawning rivers in the Fall. Now they have adapted to the annual hunting seasons, gut piles and downed meat. They adapt to opportunity.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#18 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,584 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 08 November 2019 - 03:30 PM

...and the report of a rifle is an invitation to dinner in some areas.

Bears are smart. Grizzlies in the northwest move to salmon spawning rivers in the Fall. Now they have adapted to the annual hunting seasons, gut piles and downed meat. They adapt to opportunity.

I am haunted by waters

#19 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 08 November 2019 - 10:32 PM

Not unlike the sea lions in the Willamette..  The salmon fishing guides tell their customers to remain seated fighting a fish until the fish is next to the boat and only then let the net fly. The sea lions have figured out that a flying net means a fish is availabled for theft.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#20 clikrf8

clikrf8

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • LocationBellingham, WA

Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:34 PM

We were in that area when those attacks happened. We were camping in the Palisades area campground when we heard from fellow campers. I really wanted to drive that ridge road in the Gravellys and explore the Centennial Valley but we decided against it. We would have probably been fine but there were many other places to check out. It is definitely on our itinerary for next fall. Be safe out there. That said, we have black bears in the private forestry lands beyond our home but I think a grizzly is more of a threat. 

2008 Ford F250 diesel 4x4 off road pkg 2013 Hallmark Ute http://www.clikrf8images.com/ http://clikrf8.wordp...com/2010/09/01/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users