Did I forget anything? About to order new Hallmark pop up camper

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 LosAngeles

LosAngeles

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 05:27 AM

Hi all! I am about to order a new Hallmark pop up camper. Did I forget anything?

Hallmark has been really great at answering my many questions but i thought i’d reach out to the nice people here to double check…. before i place the order. 

Did I forget anything?

9.5 foot base, Everest build. (yes, they will do this)

Nova Kool 2 Way Refer AC-DC 7.5CU FT 

ALU CAB 270 degree Shadow awning (really want this model - no leg to whack)

Extended “cab over” bed…. with side of the bed storage cabinets

4 x 180 solar panels = 720 watts Grape solar panels. 

Cooktop 2 Burner w/ Piezo Ignition 

Interior small sink, drains to small grey tank on drivers side.

Mini shower stall (drains to bucket below)

MaxxTraxx and locking exterior mount.

two x Battery Battle Born BB10012 12V Lithium 

Victron BMV 712
Battery Monitor w/ Bluetooth Lifepo4 Ready 

60A Mini Lithium Ion Power Center Black PM4060LIK 

External shower - Bullfinch 

Combination hot water heater and heating unit / LP powered MFG. by Truma (PLUS)

FREEDOM XC-2000 XANTREX INVERTER / CHARGER 

dual distribution centers 

Tork Lift Tie Downs 

Victron SmartSolar charge controller MPPT 100/30 

External Solar Panel Zamp Plug Roof/Side 

Lagun Table Leg to make inside dining table more flexible. 

woven grey floor mat, with snaps

stereo delete (not getting the stock stereo)

no graphics “naked trailer” (we prefer the plain look)

Maple Wood Cabinets

TorkLift tie downs (the only option that will work with a current F350)

->  -> * plus a few things that I still need to get added to the existing quote: * 

rear Hallmark Storage bins (to fit Honda 2200, etc)

Low pressure propane quick connect on exterior - for stove, and Campfire In A Can - back passenger side.

Mach8PLUS Hvac

metal work on the roof to 100% cover wires that connect to the roof solar panels. (to protect from UV)

Mounting the stock Ford tailgate camera on the rear Hallmark bumper

Mounting a $400 3rd party AUX camera up high on the rear of the Hallmark (always on if I select AUX camera on the Sync 3 system)

Hardwired 110v surge protector  - Progressive EMS-HW30C

rear exterior hand hold (for getting in and out)

maybe the rear fixed ladder? (unsure of cost) tho no plans to go onto roof…. though the ladder would make cleaning snow and dirt off solar panels much easier when out camping. No good space to carry a regular loose ladder

small single wood step, just below over cab bed, to make getting in and out of over-cab bed easier.

clear rear Hallmark window, adjacent cigarette power outlet, that is switched with a switch there. snap on privacy cover for this rear window.

Extra layer of fabric added inside, (small patches) where hinges rub against the fabric, as long term protection.

Are there 10 LED lights in interior?

Likely add some $50 LED Reading Focus Lights - unsure where?

Maybe get slack on the internal water line that runs to the outside drain valve (and also the outside shower)  to make any future repairs easier. (I hear the outside water valve from the tank drain breaks easily, especially in the cold)

Maybe have them add a rubber bumper to the front of the camper, in case it slides forward a bit in the truck bed. 

is one Power Roof Fan 3-speed w/ In & Out included? (i think it is)

Differences between rear exterior Ladders : narrow, full, OR off set  ($125 any option)

Should I do Bed Line X? Not bother?

Thanks for any and all good thoughts!  :-)

#2 desert-trails

desert-trails

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationPalomar Mountain, CA.

Posted 01 October 2019 - 02:25 PM

LosAngeles,

Sounds like a nice, solid camper.  We bought a used Cuchara last year and love it.

I suggest getting the full-size outside ladder for the reasons you point out if you don't need to utilize the outside back wall for anything else.  Where are you mounting the Maxx Traxx?  You could skip the ladder and mount it on the rear wall out of the slip stream verses mounting Maxx Traxx on a side wall.

Bed-Line X - are you referring to the truck bed being lined?  If so, then I say yes.  We have our Cuchara on a 2018 F-350 long bed and have Line X.   

Tork Lift tie downs are the only option for our new Fords.  At first I was a little unsure if I'd like them.  We've had 4 previous popup campers over the years and always had Happi Jacks, but I've found that, yes, they stick out and might be an issue around rocks on the trail but they sure make the camper feel like it's part of the truck.  So far I've been pleased with them.

Reading light location - depends on where you plan to read.  My wife tends to lay on the bed and read,  I like to sprawl out on the dinette seating.  

What lift system are you getting?  Manual or electric?  I read your post but don't see that info listed.  Ours came with the electric lift.

BTW, we recently did a trip from So Cal to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and on our return loop we started having trouble with the lift.  I called and talked to Bill at Hallmark and he said bring it in.  Well, we arrived on a Thursday morning and had a great interaction with everyone there.  Matt Ward and their "top expert" Mike jumped right on it and found a faulty micro switch that stops the roof when it goes up.  They replaced both up and down stop switches just to be on the safe side and had us on our way in no time.  During the repair they happily answered my questions and gave me some great pointers on my camper, including how to bypass a faulty switch in the future.  I was concerned that maybe the motor was starting to go out but they assured me that the motors they use are practically bullet proof.  We met many of the workers in the shop and everyone was very nice and accommodating.  The price of the repair was reasonable, too.  It was great to meet everyone and I can't say enough about what a great bunch of folks run Hallmark.  I highly recommend Hallmark campers.  You've made a good choice.

Cliff

Edited by desert-trails, 01 October 2019 - 02:38 PM.

Cliff

2018 F-350 4x4 Ex Cab Long Bed

2011 Cuchara

2009 Tacoma 4x4 TRD

2010 4-Runner Trail Edition

#3 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 01 October 2019 - 04:36 PM

After watching the video below with info about the standard insulated soft-walls on a Hallmark, I'm curious what discussions folks may have had with the factory (or what experience you may have had) with the optional mylar fourth layer in the soft-wall material. 

This Truck Camper Magazine article from 2012 has some info but it's kind of generic (perhaps because it was new at the time.)  It also says the material isn't super flexible so that of course raises the issue of how well it does over time.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#4 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 01 October 2019 - 04:42 PM

I posted this in your other thread about this, but it may be better here:

I am not sure where you plan on using your camper and therefore how much sun you will get, but 540W of solar is already a LOT of solar.    For reference we get by with 160W and had 240W for a while and that was more than enough.   Admittedly we spend most of our time in the sunny rockies and south west.   Unless you have unusually high power demands, 360W would probably suffice and 540W would be sufficient overkill.   540W is already a little bit over the max panel watts for the 100/30, so you may need to go up to the 100/50.    720W is a little too much even for the 100/50. 

Why not switch to a Victron inverter or inverter charger instead of the Progressive Dynamics and Samlex, given that you will be using Victron for everything else?   The progressive dynamics power center looks like dodgy RV junk to me, and does not provide the right voltage for lithium anyway.

https://www.victrone...y.com/inverters

https://www.victrone...erters-chargers

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#5 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 01 October 2019 - 04:48 PM

After watching the video below with info about the standard insulated soft-walls on a Hallmark, I'm curious what discussions folks may have had with the factory (or what experience you may have had) with the optional mylar fourth layer in the soft-wall material. 

This Truck Camper Magazine article from 2012 has some info but it's kind of generic (perhaps because it was new at the time.)  It also says the material isn't super flexible so that of course raises the issue of how well it does over time.

Mylar inside the wall is a gimmick from someone not well versed in heat transfer.   The mylar layer could work as a radiant barrier (as it does on spacecraft MLI), but only if it is not in contact with another material, in which case heat transfer is through conduction not radiation.   To be effective it needs to have at least one side exposed to an air space - so adding inside the built up wall will not do anything except make it sound a little like a chip packet. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#6 LosAngeles

LosAngeles

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 06:18 PM

Hey Cliff - thanks so much for all the great words of wisdom, and the vote of confidence for Hallmark. Much appreciated. 

I am 99.999999% sure we will get the manual roof - 20v brushless Dewalt Lithium drill is what Hallmark says is best. I dont want to spend the $3,800 on the power roof, and the added weight. And the added complexity. No need for us.

Here is a question  - could I secure the MaxxTraxx to the full sized rear ladder? Use of both would be very, very rare..... would be a cleaner setup. 

cheers

J.

LosAngeles,

Sounds like a nice, solid camper.  We bought a used Cuchara last year and love it.

I suggest getting the full-size outside ladder for the reasons you point out if you don't need to utilize the outside back wall for anything else.  Where are you mounting the Maxx Traxx?  You could skip the ladder and mount it on the rear wall out of the slip stream verses mounting Maxx Traxx on a side wall.

Bed-Line X - are you referring to the truck bed being lined?  If so, then I say yes.  We have our Cuchara on a 2018 F-350 long bed and have Line X.   

Tork Lift tie downs are the only option for our new Fords.  At first I was a little unsure if I'd like them.  We've had 4 previous popup campers over the years and always had Happi Jacks, but I've found that, yes, they stick out and might be an issue around rocks on the trail but they sure make the camper feel like it's part of the truck.  So far I've been pleased with them.

Reading light location - depends on where you plan to read.  My wife tends to lay on the bed and read,  I like to sprawl out on the dinette seating.  

What lift system are you getting?  Manual or electric?  I read your post but don't see that info listed.  Ours came with the electric lift.

BTW, we recently did a trip from So Cal to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and on our return loop we started having trouble with the lift.  I called and talked to Bill at Hallmark and he said bring it in.  Well, we arrived on a Thursday morning and had a great interaction with everyone there.  Matt Ward and their "top expert" Mike jumped right on it and found a faulty micro switch that stops the roof when it goes up.  They replaced both up and down stop switches just to be on the safe side and had us on our way in no time.  During the repair they happily answered my questions and gave me some great pointers on my camper, including how to bypass a faulty switch in the future.  I was concerned that maybe the motor was starting to go out but they assured me that the motors they use are practically bullet proof.  We met many of the workers in the shop and everyone was very nice and accommodating.  The price of the repair was reasonable, too.  It was great to meet everyone and I can't say enough about what a great bunch of folks run Hallmark.  I highly recommend Hallmark campers.  You've made a good choice.

Cliff

#7 LosAngeles

LosAngeles

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 06:33 PM

I'll check with Hallmark about possibly using a  Victron inverter or inverter charger instead of the Progressive Dynamics.

Maybe a cost issue. Can't remember. 

thanks. 

I posted this in your other thread about this, but it may be better here:

I am not sure where you plan on using your camper and therefore how much sun you will get, but 540W of solar is already a LOT of solar.    For reference we get by with 160W and had 240W for a while and that was more than enough.   Admittedly we spend most of our time in the sunny rockies and south west.   Unless you have unusually high power demands, 360W would probably suffice and 540W would be sufficient overkill.   540W is already a little bit over the max panel watts for the 100/30, so you may need to go up to the 100/50.    720W is a little too much even for the 100/50. 

Why not switch to a Victron inverter or inverter charger instead of the Progressive Dynamics and Samlex, given that you will be using Victron for everything else?   The progressive dynamics power center looks like dodgy RV junk to me, and does not provide the right voltage for lithium anyway.

https://www.victrone...y.com/inverters

https://www.victrone...erters-chargers

#8 LosAngeles

LosAngeles

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 06:38 PM

Old Crow wrote: "...I'm curious what discussions folks may have had with the factory (or what experience you may have had) with the optional mylar fourth layer in the soft-wall material."

When I asked Hallmark about this they emphatically said that almost no one gets or should get the optional Mylar. They said it has a couple downsides and in ordinary 4 season camping it causes more trouble than it helps with.

They said they offer it, if i recall correctly - as a tiny # of people who are doing extreme (Arctic?) winter camping in Hallmarks and it helps a little bit there. But almost no one needs it. We don't. They were very clear in telling me to NOT get it. 

Cant remember the specific reasons as it was about a year ago and lots of 'water under the bridge' in the past year. I just remember them being very clear to not get it. 

#9 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 01 October 2019 - 06:45 PM

My other point was that you can't use the MPPT 100/30 with 720W of solar - you will need the 150/60  https://shop.pkys.co...th-_p_7792.html

I'll check with Hallmark about possibly using a  Victron inverter or inverter charger instead of the Progressive Dynamics.

Maybe a cost issue. Can't remember. 

thanks. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#10 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 01 October 2019 - 08:04 PM

Thanks for the replies on the optional Mylar layer, rando and LosAngeles.  Good info!

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users