13 replies to this topic

#1 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,574 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 02 October 2019 - 02:36 PM

The news just reported the Collings Foundation B-17 crashed and burned on landing in NJ. It’s sad to lose these old warbirds. I hope everyone made it out.

https://www.cbsnews....y-live-updates/

I am haunted by waters

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 02 October 2019 - 07:17 PM

Steve 5 killed 9 injured.

We just had this group in our area a few months ago.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 02 October 2019 - 10:57 PM

Back in the 90's when you could buy stick time on the '17 and the '24, I flew the '17 in 1994, and the '24 in 1996.  Something I'll always remember, and looks kind of neat in your log book. Accidents like this continue to drive insurance costs up for warbirds and I'm afraid in not too many years the costs will be so high most of them will be grounded.  A sad day for the warbird community and those who lost loved ones.

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#4 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 02 October 2019 - 11:14 PM

At Bradley Int Airport, Hartford, CT (BDL).

Many onboard had paid $450 for a 30 minute ride.

Based on pilot's call to tower, appears #4 engine failed shortly after takeoff;  they were returning to the airport.   

Those big radials produce a tremendous amount of asymmetric torque when an outboard engine fails.  I seriously doubt there is anywhere to go get simulator training for such a failure for the B-17.

Very sad.

Having read quite a bit about the B-17 operations during WWII, it is stunning to learn how many B-17s crashed on landing back in the UK due to engine failures and battle damage. 

Tail draggers are a hand full when all systems are functioning properly.  If #4 engine had failed, and likely no simulator training for such an event, I'm sure the pilots were using every skill and technique they possessed to get the plane back safely to BDL.

Edited by Advmoto18, 03 October 2019 - 11:28 AM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#5 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 02 October 2019 - 11:17 PM

Back in the 90's when you could buy stick time on the '17 and the '24, I flew the '17 in 1991, and the '24 in 1996.  Something I'll always remember, and looks kind of neat in your log book. Accidents like this continue to drive insurance costs up for warbirds and I'm afraid in not too many years the costs will be so high most of them will be grounded.  A sad day for the warbird community and those who lost loved ones.

Most owners carry liability only.  

If the Foundation was a non-profit, they may not even have carried insurance.  Most non-profits aren't cash cows and officers can't be personally sued for liability unless criminal negligence is proven.

Edited by Advmoto18, 02 October 2019 - 11:22 PM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,574 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 02 October 2019 - 11:59 PM

Back in the 90's when you could buy stick time on the '17 and the '24, I flew the '17 in 1991, and the '24 in 1996.  Something I'll always remember, and looks kind of neat in your log book. Accidents like this continue to drive insurance costs up for warbirds and I'm afraid in not too many years the costs will be so high most of them will be grounded.  A sad day for the warbird community and those who lost loved ones.

Didn’t you fly this antiques in SE Asia? A-26s?

I am haunted by waters

#7 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 03 October 2019 - 12:12 AM

Didn’t you fly this antiques in SE Asia? A-26s?

Yes sir..flew out of NKP  68 & 69..

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#8 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 03 October 2019 - 05:44 AM

I flew in that plane when it was in Santa Barbara. It was on my bucket list and I would do it again. I have much more respect for those WW2 pilots that brought those planes home in pieces with no modern day simulator training.

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#9 desert-trails

desert-trails

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationPalomar Mountain, CA.

Posted 03 October 2019 - 02:41 PM

I've flown on that B-17 "Nine-O-Nine" twice, the last time was this spring when I took my son-in-law along with me.  Pilot, co-pilot, and engineer up front, passengers in the back sitting on the floor with lap belts.  Once airborne the engineer would give the passengers the all clear and you could get up and walk around and look out view ports and make your way up to the bombardier's spot in the plexiglas nose.  What a view flying out over the Pacific coast from that spot.  That plane, and the B-24 and others that Collins owns are original configuration.  It's a big loss as there are only a few left flying in the world. 

Cliff

Cliff

2018 F-350 4x4 Ex Cab Long Bed

2011 Cuchara

2009 Tacoma 4x4 TRD

2010 4-Runner Trail Edition

#10 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 03 October 2019 - 11:05 PM

Very interesting to hear all of your stories.

Never flown in one closest I came to a prop job was the COD  S2F flight

in Jan of 1965 to land on the Ranger CVA61 in the Gulf of Tonkin ,quite an experience.

Landing on the carrier flight deck rolling and pitching.

I have watched for many years the war birds fly the sky's around Monterey Bay.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users