Dometic 3 way and stove issues.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 muttmaster

muttmaster

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 01:10 AM

Well, I am stumped. My three years old Dometic 2.7 cf 3 way is not working in gas mode. Works fine on 110v and actually runs well on 12v with 280 watts solar and full sun. In gas mode, which acts up occasionally but blowing air and making sure truck is level usually gets it running. Now The Check light stays on after many tries, and is not cooling at all. I have read and viewed what i could find on the RM2354, but I am almost ready to leave it with a service pro.

Now, I find my stove is not running right either. Lower flame, about a medium flame at max compared with before fridge started acting up. Are these issues related? The fridge burner gets hot , abet low blue flame, and blowing burner with air didn’t help any. Gas regulator problem? Any advise would be appreciated.

I will start shopping for a compressor fridge very soon, and I am not sure I want to leave the camper in the shop for couple of days or couple of weeks and several hundreds bucks later...

#2 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 03 October 2019 - 01:59 AM

Have you cleaned the burner pipe yet?  I had the Dometic 3-way and took to carrying a small round wire brush (plumbing tool for copper pipe cleaning).  The tiny slots get clogged and need to be cleaned periodically.  

Note:  I ultimately did switch to a compressor fridge, after our 3-way failed in 2016 (2008 OEM Hawk)

https://www.amazon.c...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I mention this because it fit in the cavity without modifying the cabinet.  

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#3 muttmaster

muttmaster

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 02:32 AM

I have not cleaned the pipe yet, but now I will. I have cleaned my water heater burner tube before and got better blue flame after cleaning and evicting the spider vagrant. The fridge burner flame looks nice and blue and was hoping blowing inside the tube with air would of helped. The flute gets hot as on 110 v or 12v, maybe hotter but the coils is cool on gas mode only. The Check light is on faintly in gas mode and so is dc light on faintly when gas mode is selected.

#4 NorCalSteve

NorCalSteve

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 03 October 2019 - 02:57 AM

Also, try another propane tank, since you mentioned the stove is running strange.  I have one tank that sometimes the safety system in the tank messes up and does not open properly.  I have read that turning the gas on slowly, after connecting it might keep that from happening but I still get frustrated with the weird tank. 

Anyways, worth a try.

Steve

Hawk on a 1994 Silverado 2WD pickup

#5 muttmaster

muttmaster

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 03:27 AM

Tried that already. The second full tank didn’t change anything.

#6 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 03 October 2019 - 10:58 AM

I don't know where you are located, but many areas of the country have mobile RV repair techs, I have used them in RV Parks in lots of places. You pay a service charge for the first visit usually, but you wouldn't have to leave your unit with a shop. I have had good experiences with them. Usually one visit to diagnose the problem, and possibly repair if no major parts are needed. Many carry common items on their truck. If they need to order parts then they setup another appointment with you when they get the parts.

Most are authorized Dometic repair techs.

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#7 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 03 October 2019 - 01:19 PM

Given the change at the stove and the fact that you've already tried another tank, I'd suspect the gas regulator.  An easy first check would be to disconnect the hose from the tank and see if there's evidence of an oily or waxy liquid in the line. Lower the hose end to encourage any trapped oil to drain out of the regulator.  I believe it unlikely you'll find any but it's an easy thing to check.  The oily or waxy substance would be contaminants in the LPG from a bad fill, i.e., one where the equipment and procedures designed to prevent contamination from getting into your fill at the LPG station somehow failed.

If no evidence of contamination, I'd probably just replace the regulator as they're not expensive.  I suppose another approach would be to try adjusting the old regulator's pressure but that really should be done while measuring the pressure and ensuring it stays within specifications.

Edited 10/3 to add:  link to manuals for the RM2354 at PDX RV

Edited by Old Crow, 03 October 2019 - 02:38 PM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#8 muttmaster

muttmaster

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 02:43 PM

Thanks OldCrow and All, after running the fridge on AC for four hours and got it cold, I switched back to propane again. The faint lights on Check and DC and Auto was still on, it the AC light. But the good news is that the fridge stayed cold last night. Apparently blowing air into burner did help. The coils are warm too now but not as warm when in AC mode.
Checked the hose and see no oil, but will give stove burner a good cleaning to see any improvement. Never could stir fry on the wimpy stove but hope it can boil water in decent time again.
Lessons learned...always carry a air chuck with the tire compressor, buy a pipe cleaner, and have backup iced water bottles when going into DVNP. Maybe carry the EU2200 next time too, just in case.
Thanks all for thoughtful advise, I still worry about the faint lights on the fridge panel but it is cooling.

#9 ardvark

ardvark

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 03:29 PM

A faint light on the panel of a Dometic 3-way that has an "auto" is almost always a voltage issue and the most common issue is a power converter that is bleeding AC down the DC line. Are you running on shore power? If you are unplug and try operating on battery only. Dometic says their board can tolerate perhaps a bleed of 1-volt AC, but it can not. Even a .25 bleed down the DC line will throw the board off and keep the lights lit.

As to your propane, a drop-pressure check using a manometer will tell you immediately the status of your regulator. :)

Steve

#10 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 03 October 2019 - 04:19 PM

I see page 10 of the Diagnostic Service manual describes the AC-voltage-on-the-DC-line issue and shows how to check for it at the main terminal block (with a voltmeter set to read AC volts on that DC connection)

Also- see the info on erratic operation of the fridge in the Grounds section.

Edited by Old Crow, 03 October 2019 - 04:44 PM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users