• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 5outta6

5outta6

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 05 October 2019 - 02:14 PM

Anyone own a Jump starter battery pack such as Noco boost or Micro start or other brands and have any opinions on which are the best?

Ford F150 super crew, ATC Ocelot shell, Icom 706MKIIG,  AC6GD

#2 PJorgen

PJorgen

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 05 October 2019 - 02:51 PM

I have the Noco GB40. Never used it on my vehicle but have jump started others, works great. Holds a charge for a long time, I charge it once a year just to be sure but it never needs much.

Only complaint is that the cables are a bit short. One of my vehicles has the battery under the floor in the cargo area so it has remote terminals under the hood for jump starting. The terminals are about 22” apart and the Noco cables aren’t long enough to reach both.

I can’t say which is best as I’ve only used the Noco. I travel solo frequently and I think something like this is a must have. Never needed it but glad I have it.

2014 Hawk, Silver Spur exterior on a 2012 GMC 2500HD 4x4.

#3 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 05 October 2019 - 03:26 PM

I have a DB Power jumper, works great, as above, I've used it to jump others more than me. It's recommended to be charged every 3 months. I've done that and its rarely less than 95% after 3 months even if I have used it. Cables are very short, but haven't been a problem.

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#4 ClimberRob

ClimberRob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationTahoe

Posted 05 October 2019 - 07:32 PM

I carry a Jump n Carry JNC 660. I have used it several times. Great backup battery for a big truck.

#5 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 01:41 AM

X 2 on the need for a REALLY good jump starter if you travel alone. (Like Sioux and I always do.) They say this one starts semi's so it ought to work for a 6.4 Ram gas engine! https://www.amazon.c...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#6 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 03:45 AM

I've got Rockford model that's rated to jump start small V8s but I've used it on my 6.2 gasser with no problem and it has jumped several other small cars. 3 years old, still takes and holds a charge very well. I would avoid the cheaper off brands as they don't have a good reputation for battery longevity. 

#7 oldhotrod

oldhotrod

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 06 October 2019 - 06:41 PM

I was gifted a $50 phone back up battery that came in a med sized notebook case so i charged it and tossed it in the truck..and immediately forgot about it. While traveling, my phone charge cord failed and i remembered that there was a usb cord and adapters with the battery so I pulled over to look for the cord. In the case was a pair of small battery clamps which i thought were a joke. When i went to restart, the truck just clicked and i knew the 5+yr old battery was done. Stuck in a parking lot, i opened up the notebook case and had a chuckle when i grabbed the battery, clamps and cord. Much to my amazement, the little back up battery, about the size of a smart phone, started the truck with ease...and still charged my phone...so the moral, i am not sure there is a best, they are probably all from china...but even the cheap ones work

#8 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 07 October 2019 - 12:45 AM

I have extensive experience with the Micro-Start. We've used them heavily at the Overland Expo; I've lost count of how many attendee vehicles and motorcycles we've jumped with the half-dozen we keep on hand. We've abused them by hooking three together and welding with them, to the horror of the company's owner. We keep one in every vehicle we own. 

My philosophy is, if you get out a jump starter something has already gone wrong. In that situation I want the best possible backup.

#9 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 07 October 2019 - 12:42 PM

Left the Streamlight flashlight in it's charging cradle and ran the CTD's batteries way down. Didn't discover this until I was trying to leave on an impromptu trip. A half hour of the 4rnnr idling at high speed while jumpered to the CTD still wouldn't start it, even with the 4rnnr still connected and at high idle. Would barely click.

Remembered I had this: https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B07661CL25/ and figured that I had nothing to loose. Connected it only to the PS battery and the Cummins 6BT roared to life! The trip started out with about 300 miles of highway driving, but before leaving I made sure that the microstart had a full charge just in case.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#10 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 07 October 2019 - 11:55 PM

Another MicroStart user here. 👍

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users