18 replies to this topic

#1 Jakkkoob

Jakkkoob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 03:28 PM

Hi all,

I have a remodeled vintage 8tf. FWC Fleet, late 80s or early 90ies model that I’d like to install onto our 2012 GMC Sierra 1500 ext.cab with 6.5 ft bed.

IMG_4960.jpg
IMG_5036.jpg
IMG_5035.jpg

The original reach through slots that would give access to the tie downs on the truck bed have been covered up during the remodeling done by the previous owner so I’m having to look into other ways to attach it to the truck. The last owner used very flimsly looking eye bolts and ratchet straps.

IMG_5031.jpg
IMG_5032.jpg
IMG_5033.jpg

I am planning on installing happijac tie downs in front and back of the truck and securing the camper with turnbuckles. Now I need to figure out new anchors on the truck itself to attach the turnbuckles too in order to replace those eye bolts.

Originally I was looking for a part similar to in this post:

But after inquiring with FWC they don't sell those parts actually and said they belong to a different tie down system. FWC recommended that I install jack brackets and mount an eyebolt to those. Only problem I just realized is that since it’s an 8ft camper in a 6.5ft bed both turnbuckes would be pulling forward since the jacks go onto the corners of the camper.

Does anybody have a different idea on how to actor the turnbuckles on the camper? Your input is greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your time.

#2 Backcountry Camper

Backcountry Camper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 03:41 PM

I am not sure if non-Tacoma owners have used the bed brackets but that could be an option(?).

Then you can better distribute your tie downs go internal if room allows for the entire concept.

'todgru' has some photos in this post:

http://www.wanderthe...tacoma +bracket

#3 m.r.h.

m.r.h.

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 04:22 PM

If you want to use the internal tie down system likes FWC does you just need to cut new access slots into your camper. Since you are starting with a blank slate you can put them where ever you want to make access easy. I don't think it shouldn't matter that you are putting it in a smaller bed. You just need to put the anchor on the camper a little bit more forward. I imagine that is what they do when some one calls and orders a Grandby and is putting it in a 6.5' bed. 

Last week I ordered new eyebolts, turn buckles, anchors to mount on the camper, and all of the nuts, bolts, backing plates et cetera from FWC. It was $130 for all of it. I am sure some of that stuff that be made or sourced from other places but I live in a small down with limited access so ordering from somewhere is just as efficient. 

My camper came with some external mounting brackets, hopefully the photo uploads. I am taking mine off in the coming weeks if you are interested in paying for shipping I will send them to you. 

Tie Down

#4 Jakkkoob

Jakkkoob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 05:26 PM

@Backcountry Camper: Thank you for your suggestion. I actually have standard eye bolts in my truck bed that I could attach the camper to. My main 'problem' is that I don't have a proper anchor connection points on the camper itself. Right now, those anchors are by far the weakest point in the system and I'm trying to beef those up. But I should revisit the plan of using the existing eye bolts in the truck bed. They're just very hard to access.

@m.r.h: Looks like you have a similar generation of FWC like us! I also feel ok about putting it in the shorter bed with the tailgate down. The camper is only 690 lbs and I'm 600 lbs under my GVWR. I also started building a wooden frame for it which I'll extend over the tailgate. This is to clear the bed rails, which are touching the camper right now, and distribute the weight more evenly onto the bed and off the tailgate.

Did you already receive the package from FWC? That set is exactly what they recommended me to get also. Would you mind sending a photo of what's included in it? I still can't visualize how the eye bolt is supposed to attach to the jack bracket. But overall, this approach seems safe and heavy duty to me. My only concern was that once installed and tied down to happijacs, the turnbuckles will both pull forward, instead of in opposite directions. I made a quick sketch, the red lines showing the way FWC recommended and the green line showing a 'better' position for the rear anchor, since it would pull into the opposite direction of the front one:

IMG_4960.jpg

Thank you for the photo you sent. Are you using the first generation Brophy tie downs? Do you not like your setup and that's why you're changing it and ordered the new parts? The anchor you have on there does not seem to be connected to the jack brackets. Is it custom made and just screws into the wood of the camper?

gallery_9228_1331_71219.jpg

#5 Backcountry Camper

Backcountry Camper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 06:12 PM

Originally I was looking for a part similar to in this post:

But after inquiring with FWC they don't sell those parts actually and said they belong to a different tie down system. 

Not sure if I am misunderstanding but FWC does sell the tie down brackets.

Posted here:

http://www.wanderthe...-elevator-bolt/

You would need to change their location from the outer camper to inner.

I have done this to my Fleet. Had to cut access doors but it works perfectly

and I feel is more solid/stable than external tie downs.

#6 m.r.h.

m.r.h.

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 06:50 PM

@Backcountry Camper: Thank you for your suggestion. I actually have standard eye bolts in my truck bed that I could attach the camper to. My main 'problem' is that I don't have a proper anchor connection points on the camper itself. Right now, those anchors are by far the weakest point in the system and I'm trying to beef those up. But I should revisit the plan of using the existing eye bolts in the truck bed. They're just very hard to access.

@m.r.h: Looks like you have a similar generation of FWC like us! I also feel ok about putting it in the shorter bed with the tailgate down. The camper is only 690 lbs and I'm 600 lbs under my GVWR. I also started building a wooden frame for it which I'll extend over the tailgate. This is to clear the bed rails, which are touching the camper right now, and distribute the weight more evenly onto the bed and off the tailgate.

Did you already receive the package from FWC? That set is exactly what they recommended me to get also. Would you mind sending a photo of what's included in it? I still can't visualize how the eye bolt is supposed to attach to the jack bracket. But overall, this approach seems safe and heavy duty to me. My only concern was that once installed and tied down to happijacs, the turnbuckles will both pull forward, instead of in opposite directions. I made a quick sketch, the red lines showing the way FWC recommended and the green line showing a 'better' position for the rear anchor, since it would pull into the opposite direction of the front one:

attachicon.gifIMG_4960.jpg

Thank you for the photo you sent. Are you using the first generation Brophy tie downs? Do you not like your setup and that's why you're changing it and ordered the new parts? The anchor you have on there does not seem to be connected to the jack brackets. Is it custom made and just screws into the wood of the camper?

attachicon.gifgallery_9228_1331_71219.jpg

Our campers seem to be from a similar era. Mine is an 86 Keystone. When I got it those black brackets were what was used to tie the camper down, with happijacs I think. I got the Brophy tie downs to get my camper home and thinking maybe they were going to work as a long term tie down method. However, where the brackets on my camper are located, and where the stake pockets on my truck are, I don't think it is a good fit. Similar to your drawing things weren't being pulled how FWC recommends. I could have moved the brackets on my camper I suppose but, I will likely take the camper on and off sort of often.  When the camper is off I will have a fiberglass canopy on  and the Brophy tie downs have to come off. I felt over time that was going to become very week.   

The brackets on the camper are just bolted into the wood of the camper, not sure if there is a support plate or anything. They are covered up by carpet and I haven't taken it off yet. Since they were on the camper when I got it I don't really know too much more. 

I decided to go with the FWC parts because it looks a little cleaner and I could do it myself. It also seemed a little less invasive compared to the happijac system. Seems like there is a little more hardware in the front of the bed that is always going to be there (I could be wrong about this, just going off a friend's set up in his truck). Also seems like more modern day truck beds aren't as strong and stake pocket tie downs can bend truck beds and such. As much as I would love a reason to put a SherpTek flat bed on my truck I am going with FWC tie down parts for now.

My package is schedule to be delivered today. When it arrives I will share the contents. Also will share the install process as well. I need to cut 2 access doors in the rear of my camper because they were left out when the floor was upgraded. Going to install hopefully next week? Have a busy couple of weeks and the camper is just hanging out on a stand for now. 

#7 Jakkkoob

Jakkkoob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 08:22 PM

Thank you both Backcountry Camper and m.r.h. for your detailed input. Lots of food for thought here. I will have a closer look at my setup in the next days and will decide on which way to move forward.

Backcountry Camper, you got it right, those anchor points are exactly what I tried to purchase from FWC but Aaron from their service department said they don't sell those parts (anymore?). Pretty amazing that they're still so responsive though considering that I'm looking for parts for a 30 year old camper.

Following your link http://www.wanderthe...-elevator-bolt/ I'm finding this solution too which seems super solid: http://www.wanderthe...n-camper/page-3

m.r.h. Thanks for sharing your experience with Brophy. I believe the newer version of Brophies does not go into the stake pockets anymore but clamps the bed walls and bed railing ... might look a bit more into those https://www.etrailer...rophy/HSSF.html

It'd be amazing if you could share the contents of the FWC kit you ordered, very curios what's actually in the box and how it's supposed to be installed.

I'm getting a feeling for what's out there and now need to make a call what works best for my setup. So great to have your guy's input and shared experience. This is what I'm considering right now:

Anchors

- another attempt of locating a set of these: http://www.wanderthe...-elevator-bolt/

- or something like this http://www.wanderthe...n-camper/page-3

Tie downs

- Brophy new style bed clamping

- Happijac

- mounted directly to the bed with tacoma stye frame, existing eye bolts in corners of bed or newly drilled anchors like FWC would put in when installing a new camper

- Forklift too expensive and not needed in my situation I don't think, dealing 700 lbs camper, would rather go with Happijac

Edited by Jakkkoob, 08 October 2019 - 08:57 PM.

#8 m.r.h.

m.r.h.

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 12:10 AM

Well it was the smallest, heaviest, $130 box I have received in a while.

Inside it contains.....

4 camper anchors with nuts and bolts (I think these are a new-ish style, old style referred to as elevator bolts)

4 backing plates for anchors (yellow tape in photo)

4 turn buckles 

4 eyebolts, nuts, and washers for truck bed

4 backing plates 

Mounting Hardware

First impressions...

I thought the eyebolts were going to be bulkier. They seem ver solid I just thought they would be larger I guess. The turn buckles having open hooks. I knew that is what I was getting but I am very curious as to why they use those. Closed ends and the use of quick links seems like it would be stronger and wouldn't have to opportunity to unhook. If anyone has some numbers or knowledge behind that I would greatly appreciate it. The anchors that go on the camper seem bomber and straight forward. They also seem to look a little classier than just having eyebolts . 

Unfortunately, I have a busy next couple of weeks with family coming into town followed by a read trip without the camper. So getting everything installed might be a little bit. 

#9 Jakkkoob

Jakkkoob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 07:58 PM

very interesting m.r.h. thanks for sharing the contents of that package. I'll do a trip to the local hardware store and see if I can piece things together, since I would probably only need the camper anchors, not the ones that go into the truck bed. If not, I'll get that set ordered from FWC.

#10 m.r.h.

m.r.h.

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:04 PM

My pleasure Jakkkoob. FWC charges $55 for just the camper mounts, plates, and nuts/bolts. That seemed pretty fair to me. I am interested to see what you come up with. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: installation, tie downs, happijack, anchor points, Sierra 1500

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users