Photo

Any last suggestions? About to lock in our Hallmark pop up truck camper order.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 LosAngeles

LosAngeles

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 04:19 AM

Any last suggestions? About to lock in our Hallmark pop up truck camper order.

Thanks to everyone here who has given me lots of great info and ideas during my design phase. Super helpful!

I have had fun fine tuning the final details with Matt at Hallmark. He has been great to work with to help us build the pop up truck camper of our dreams. 

Any other final details (or small options) we should consider adding to the build?

The build is now:

9.5’ long body, with extended cab over bed, and bed side storage units (going on a F350 crew cab, long bed)

AluCab 270 Shadow awning (passenger side)

NovaCool 2 way fridge - side by side - 7.5CU FT

2 x 20 lb propane tanks

Glass top Cooktop 2 Burner 

mini shower stall, with tie down points for a PortAPotty

external shower - Bullfinch 

TrumaCombiPlus for propane / 120v hot air and hot water

Tork Lift Tie Downs 

Zamp external solar panel port. (likely rarely used)

720 watts solar on roof

2 x 100 amp hour lithium batteries. BattleBorn.

all Victron system, with inverter, Color control panel, etc etc

Air Conditioner Mach 8 Polar Cub on roof. 

2 LED floodlights on rear with 3 way switch (on, off, or triggered by reverse)

ladder to roof for cleaning dirt or snow off solar panels

30 gallon fresh water tank, grey tank.

rear storage bins

2 x 20 lb propane bottles. 

bed mat included. 

Not going to have the bike rack, but this random pic gives a very general idea of what the rig will look like. 

thanks!

J.

cropped Hallmark down  swing away bike rack copy copy.jpg

#2 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 13 October 2019 - 12:20 PM

I like the idea of a rear awning like shown in the pic. If it allowed the rear door to be left open in the rain with just the screen door closed and offered some protection for shoes or what not left out AND I was going full out on the purchase, then I consider it.

Edited by klahanie, 13 October 2019 - 12:21 PM.

#3 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 13 October 2019 - 12:30 PM

Seems like a very big fridge and unless it is a 12volt compressor and not propane, then why are the expensive lithium batteries and 720watts solar needed.?

1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

#4 LosAngeles

LosAngeles

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 01:09 PM

I like the idea of a rear awning like shown in the pic. If it allowed the rear door to be left open in the rain with just the screen door closed and offered some protection for shoes or what not left out AND I was going full out on the purchase, then I consider it.

Good idea... our 270 AluCab 270 shadow awning will provide some coverage for both rear and passenger at same time.

I think we will use it al lot. For both (light to medium) rain and sun.

:-)

J.

#5 LosAngeles

LosAngeles

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 01:16 PM

Seems like a very big fridge and unless it is a 12volt compressor and not propane, then why are the expensive lithium batteries and 720watts solar needed.?

Heya DanoT. Yup it is a 12v fridge - no need to be flat, and no need to ever ever switch between propane and 12v

We three like to do extended off the grid, middle of nowhere camping, while still enjoying fresh food thus the bigger than normal fridge.

As we will camp 4 seasons / rain / cloud / short days / furnace running a lot ... we went for 720 watts solar.

The cost to add a panel or two at build is way cheaper than later, of course.

So propane is only for the efficient Truma Combi Plus hot air and hot water - plus an external quick connect low pressure outlet - for a Camp Chef 2 for cooking outside, plus a CampFire in a Can when in areas (california) that understandably don’t allow WOOD campfires a lot of places because of fire risk. Plus inside stove for when weather is lousy.

It is my understanding that in the long run - Lithium will be cheaper. Just big up front cost. But many other advantages.

:-)

J.

#6 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:50 AM

Looks like you have a very well optioned Hallmark!
I think the 270 awning will be one of your favorite amenities. The Bullfinch outdoor shower is very nice as well.

As someone who has the Everest (8.5’) on a F-350 srw once you get the camper on you may find that installing a rear sway bar and a set of air bags might improve the ride as you will be heavier than we are..

Congratulations!

Edited by smlobx, 14 October 2019 - 10:52 AM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#7 LosAngeles

LosAngeles

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 01:33 PM

Thanks so much smlobx for looking over our list... as you are a Hallmark owner, it is especially helpful. :-)

The only slight pain with the 270 awning on a Hallmark is that as it is up high.... we'll have to carry a good length step ladder, i think, to be able to reach it to unzip it and deploy it, and also folding it up. 

On a campsite with uneven ground it could be a bit precarious..... I'll have to take my time to make sure i don't fall off the ladder! ;-)

Do you (or anyone else) happen to know if an extension can be bought for the Bullfinch shower hose? as I know it is a unique connection type. 

Cheers

J.

Looks like you have a very well optioned Hallmark!
I think the 270 awning will be one of your favorite amenities. The Bullfinch outdoor shower is very nice as well.

As someone who has the Everest (8.5’) on a F-350 srw once you get the camper on you may find that installing a rear sway bar and a set of air bags might improve the ride as you will be heavier than we are..

Congratulations!

#8 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 15 October 2019 - 07:58 PM

I don't doubt that the Truma Combi is a great unit until it needs service or repairs and then it might be a bit of a problem finding someone to work on it. I met a guy last winter in Whitefish Mt who was about to travel 2.5 hours to take his RV to a shop that could get his unit working.

Edited by DanoT, 15 October 2019 - 07:58 PM.

1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

#9 LosAngeles

LosAngeles

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 08:06 PM

I don't doubt that the Truma Combi is a great unit until it needs service or repairs and then it might be a bit of a problem finding someone to work on it. I met a guy last winter in Whitefish Mt who was about to travel 2.5 hours to take his RV to a shop that could get his unit working.

The good news is that according to Truma - the units have a less than 1% failure rate across the lifespan of the unit. Amazing.

Also I spoke at length with a Truma mobile service tech and about 90% of issues can be fixed over the phone.

Also we happen to live very close to a main Truma USA repair center.

So we are covered. :-)

#10 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 18 October 2019 - 06:32 PM

Thanks so much smlobx for looking over our list.....Do you (or anyone else) happen to know if an extension can be bought for the Bullfinch shower hose? as I know it is a unique connection type. 

Cheers

J.

what I ended up doing was just to purchase a flexible hose and new shower head like this.

https://www.amazon.c...,aps,151&sr=8-6

the new hose attached to the existing  Bullfinch hose without issues and gave us the flexibility of where to set up our tent and have a better shower head.

Edited by smlobx, 18 October 2019 - 06:33 PM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users