• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 WjColdWater

WjColdWater

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 13 October 2019 - 07:11 PM

Being new FWC owners got me thinking. What if an undetected fire started in the rear of the camper? What if an exterior fire prevented exiting the rear door? If the smoke alarm doesn’t function as expected, how would you escape? The fire extinguisher is mounted on the floor in the rear so it’s not a good spot for a rear fire.  Sleeping in the cabover bed you would have trouble exiting the rear door. It’s probably a low probability, but a good escape strategy could save your life. I have added a simple modification to help in this scenario. I dug out an old Gerber folding knife to repurpose for this modification. I cleaned and sharpened to razor quality to mount in the cabover. After looking at the best possible mounting location, I mounted the knife. Now, in the event of a rear fire, we will have a knife close at hand to cut the sidewall and escape from there. 
983-F8782-AF52-414-B-9-FD0-9571-FFDC822-

Repurposed Gerber.  
FA298-C4-E-9913-48-FE-8767-B818-A8748-BC

Sheath modification to except zip ties. 

7297-C3-B4-7-A79-44-E7-9-DA3-9-F976-FFC2

Mounting location on the underside of the push bar. After trimming the ties I filed the cut ends smooth. This location doesn’t interfere with the bar function and can be easily accessed. Hope to never have to use while camping, but it’s there in case. 
Wayne

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 13 October 2019 - 09:48 PM

Great idea.The side window even though it is the emergency exit

might not be usable.

We have a side dinette and it probably would

be easier to exit through the liner.

There are lots of things to make the campers safer/easier to use.

It just takes using the camper and seeing what works/is needed.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 13 October 2019 - 10:06 PM

Great idea.
But I hope you follow that old marital advice to never go to bed angry ...
and that you're not a terrible snorer !

#4 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 13 October 2019 - 10:12 PM

What year is your camper? FWC's have a side window escape hatch, required by law. jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#5 WjColdWater

WjColdWater

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 13 October 2019 - 10:59 PM

What year is your camper? FWC's have a side window escape hatch, required by law. jd

2019 Grandby with a front dinette. And it does have the escape side window. But in a life or death scenario I’m thinking it would be tough to escape quickly. 

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 13 October 2019 - 11:35 PM

2019 Grandby with a front dinette. And it does have the escape side window. But in a life or death scenario I’m thinking it would be tough to escape quickly. 

I think you’re correct.

I am haunted by waters

#7 WjColdWater

WjColdWater

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 14 October 2019 - 11:45 AM

Great idea.
But I hope you follow that old marital advice to never go to bed angry ...
and that you're not a terrible snorer !

:D Good point!

#8 Mark G

Mark G

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • LocationMeadow Vista, CA

Posted 15 October 2019 - 12:28 AM

85% of the stuff we worry about never happens.  12% we just deal with.  3% we read about later.

#9 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 15 October 2019 - 11:38 AM

I have many kitchen knives in the drawer right by the bed but I may make this mod for many reasons :) THANKS!

#10 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 16 October 2019 - 02:12 PM

ColdWater....your pictures are not loading.  At least I can't see them on this web page.

You have normal egress through the back door.   All campers are required to have an emergency exit.  This exit's location is dependent on model and interior configuration.

I always go to bed with a serrated knife near my pillow.  If I need to escape the camper right now (while in bed) due to fire in the rear of the camper, I'm cutting the fabric at the front of the camper and exiting out over the truck's cab and down onto the hood.  

As a retired airline pilot, FAA requires fire extinguishers to be placed through the cabin and in the cockpit.  While they can be used to put out small fires, they are not intended to for fire fighting per se.  They are installed primarily to put out the fire on people.  I approach the camper's itty bitty fire extinguisher in the same light;  put the fire out on people.   An itty bitty extinguisher isn't going to do much for fighting a big fire.  

South Carolina Low Country.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users