21 replies to this topic

#1 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 14 October 2019 - 04:57 PM

Currently trying to put together a 30 day trip to SW Spring 2020.

We have spent time in Escalante area/Waterpocket/Burr/MuleyTwist/Cottonwood/HItR/Cathedral Vly...etc...but have not gone East of Powell or into AZ/NM/Colo.

#1  Initial plan is to go Mid-March to Mid-April....comments on this timing?

#2 Our routine is to stop in a remote area, hopefully without people, for 2-3 days while going on 4-6 hour day hikes. Then moving on to the next campsite.   My '05 Tundra truck/Hawk are rigged for tough off-road travel, but not "jeep only rock crawling"....

Any nuggets areas you can recommend?  

All suggestions and recommendations are appreciated and feel free to PM me.

Thanks!

Phil 

#2 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 14 October 2019 - 05:39 PM

Phil-

KofA NWR in Arizona is a great place.

Cedar Mesa in Utah could provide lots of time for exploring and options for day hikes with Comb and Butler Washes to the east providing more opportunities.  There will probably still be snow higher up in The Abajo's at that time of year.

We just got back from a weekend in Gila NF, NM and it was beautiful but again snow will probably be an issue but you might find some opportunities in the Big Burro part of the NF.

I think that's a bit late for most of the birds at Bosque del Apache but maybe someone else will chime in.

Also sending you a PM.

Cheers!

Bob

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#3 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:44 PM

Bob, 

Thanks...great info in this and PM...appreciate it.  Yes, wife is a dye-in-the-wool photographer [currently in Prague on a photo trip] and she also has photo trips down there in SW that I have not been on....

Dispersed camping is the operative term....just us and the 'Yots...

What about the timing...Mid-March to Mid-April?  Starting in South and working North to give snow a chance to recede? 

Thanks Again...Phil

#4 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:55 PM

Phil-

We were in Butler Wash, below Cedar Mesa last Easter weekend (3rd week of April I think, and the temps were upper 80's to low 90's but that was unseasonably warm, there was still snow around the Bear's Ears buttes that weekend and up higher so we didn't venture uo that way.

KofA seems to be a great place to get away as long as you can get a bit off the beaten path, proximity to quartzite means there's lots of day trippers and a few RV's near the boundary but lots of areas further back to explore.

Cedar Mesa should be great any of the time, lots of roads to explore and canyons to hike.  Get a permit to be able to drop into some of the canyons where there are a number of ruins.

Unfortunately it will be too early for the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and the South Rim is such a zoo that while beautiful it's hard to recommend, especially if you're seeking solitude.

Have you spent any time in the San Rafael Swell?  Lots of places there to explore.

As for overall timing. I might try to shift it a little bit later but it becomes a crap shoot for temps and where there's been snow chances are the roads will have entered mud season in the high contry and you still won't want to be playing around on them.

Bob

Edited by Cayuse, 14 October 2019 - 07:58 PM.

Off Road Utility Trailer

#5 outdoornate65

outdoornate65

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 02:18 AM

Bob stole my answer. 

Was thinking Cedar Mesa too. 

Maybe look into San Rafael Swell area northwest of Moab too. 

Nate

#6 searching for nowhere

searching for nowhere

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • LocationWestern Washington

Posted 15 October 2019 - 02:54 AM

Bears Ears is good.  Think about camping at Mule Point.  Incredible views of Monument Valley.  You most likely won't be the only one there but the views are great.  

I also give two thumbs up to the Swell.  See a link below for lots of information.  Lots of area with no people unless you are there at spring break.    

Information

Camping with a small trailer.  Everyday is a good day to go camping.

https://searchingfor.wordpress.com/

#7 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 15 October 2019 - 02:34 PM

Great suggestions and appreciated.

Almost hate to ask....but does anyone know when Spring Break is down there?  I know it may vary...not that I dislike people; I just prefer isolated solitude...without people!  B)

Thanks....Phil

#8 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 15 October 2019 - 03:09 PM

Great suggestions and appreciated.

Almost hate to ask....but does anyone know when Spring Break is down there?  I know it may vary...not that I dislike people; I just prefer isolated solitude...without people!  B)

Thanks....Phil

Utah public school calendar for 2019-20 can be found here. The issue with Spring Break isn't just the public schools it is the influx of college kids that also come for climbing/hiking/mtn biking and general exploration.  If you really want to avoid the Spring Break circus you'll probably need to move the trip by about a month and start it in mid-April, should see the desert coming into bloom that way as well.

Off Road Utility Trailer

#9 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 15 October 2019 - 05:30 PM

Thanks for Utah school break schedule....earliest starts March 9 and latest to April 17...kinda of squashes March and April...college breaks as noted will probably be the deal breaker and those are unknown to me but assume near Easter..and these dates are Utah only....

Will keep digging and as Bob said he had 80-90 temps third week in April in Butler Wash and again an assumption on my part but areas South of Utah will be warmer.  High temps are not something that would stop us but hiking in 90s takes it out of you.  If we need to choose between bumping into folks or high temps, we will "sweat it out".  Obviously the crowds are during optimal conditions.

OK...lots to review and I do really appreciate the input and first-hand experiences...thanks.

Phil

Just looked up U AZ Spring break 2020 March 7-1....U NM is March 15-22

Edited by Wallowa, 15 October 2019 - 05:34 PM.

#10 searching for nowhere

searching for nowhere

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • LocationWestern Washington

Posted 17 October 2019 - 04:13 AM

In 2014 I had snow mid May at Capital Reef with snow sticking to the ground.  Nothing dramatic but it delayed me a day, not wanting to drive on Hwy 12 until I was sure there was no snow on the road.  I suggest you plan for any weather and be flexible.  

Ah.. Utah is wonderful. 

Camping with a small trailer.  Everyday is a good day to go camping.

https://searchingfor.wordpress.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users