Photo

Think someone would steal a camper in the city?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 patrickkidd

patrickkidd

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 10:45 PM

I have a 1993 FWC Ranger 2 and love in a good neighborhood in Northwest DC (Tenleytown). I would love to get the camper off the truck which is my commuter, and that would mean leaving it in the driveway in our alley, visible from the road. I have electric jacks, that obviously don’t lower it to the ground so they would have to be left on.

Has anyone stored a camper in these conditions? Has anyone had one stolen? Any way to “lock” it in place? Seems it would be easy to operate the push-button jacks to raise it into another 1/2-ton truck bed - maybe lower it onto a crate or something to store the jacks inside?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers,
-Patrick

#2 ardvark

ardvark

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 11:24 PM

Patrick,

My thought is the best you can do is make it tough for thefts of convenience. Pros will always find a way, but most losses are no due to professionals. I would make sure the battery is disconnected and ideally removed. That will make it much harder to load the camper. Since you say you are in a good neighborhood, that is as far as I would go.

Steve

#3 ClimberRob

ClimberRob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationTahoe

Posted 16 October 2019 - 12:19 AM

Build a platform or sawhorses for it to sit on. Lower it onto the platform, and either remove or disconnect the jacks.

#4 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 16 October 2019 - 12:55 AM

^^

I'd remove the jacks and store elsewhere.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#5 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 01:00 AM

AS climber rob said, put it on a low platform. Then remove the jacks and orient it or block with something so a truck can't back up to it. Maybe invest in a game camera or similar thing so you can monitor it or at least get an ID if something did happen

#6 Optimistic Paranoid

Optimistic Paranoid

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 09:11 AM

I agree with the idea of putting it on some kind of platform and removing the jacks.  But it would have to a really SOLID platform, not sawhorses.  I would be concerned that some stupid, bored teenagers would come along and somehow tip it off just for the hell of it.

As for the likelihood of it being stolen, I'm under the impression that most thieves steal stuff they can easily fence for cash, not stuff they want to keep for themselves.  I'm not sure how easy it would be to sell a stolen camper.  I imagine it would be quite a risk for them to store a stolen camper while waiting to sell it.                    

Regards

John

Rule #1 For Wandering The West: DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

I Don't Like To Make Plans.  They Cause The Word "Premeditated" To Get Used In Court.

My Body Is A Temple!  Ancient, Falling Apart, Probably Cursed . . .

#7 ardvark

ardvark

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 10:53 AM

Question - does anyone have first hand verifiable knowledge of a truck camper being stolen while off the truck?

#8 patrickkidd

patrickkidd

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 12:28 PM

Question - does anyone have first hand verifiable knowledge of a truck camper being stolen while off the truck?

Yes, this was part of my question.

#9 ardvark

ardvark

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 12:45 PM

Yes, this was part of my question.

To me, how likely an event to occur is crucial. For example, when someone says they live in a "good neighborhood", I am assuming things like theft or vandalism are rare events. My camper sits on sawhorses and has for a number of years. I have never had my jacks off, nor have I considered it. You can see our camper from the street and can back right up the driveway to load it. 

Now vandalizing those sawhorses would be possible, but it is going to take a heck of big sledge hammer, not the kind of things kids are going to be carrying around. And I guess if they truly have evil on their minds, they are going to do damage no matter what I do. the same thing with theft. 

In the end it all comes down to how safe you want to be, in my opinion. I am willing to do what is necessary to avoid crimes of convenience, however if you want your camper to be absolutely safe no matter what, I think it should be inside a locked garage. But if I had to do that, I would relocate! :)

Edited by ardvark, 16 October 2019 - 12:45 PM.

#10 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 16 October 2019 - 02:24 PM

Although we also live in a good neighborhood and thefts of RV's have not occurred, neighbors have discovered people living in and using stored campers and trailers.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users