Photo

Think someone would steal a camper in the city?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#11 ardvark

ardvark

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 05:32 PM

I wasn't of the impression the OP was storing it. I understood it was at his residence. I wouldn't store one any place unless I was checking on it routinely or there was regular security as there is where we store our fifth wheel. 

#12 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 16 October 2019 - 05:50 PM

I wasn't of the impression the OP was storing it. I understood it was at his residence. I wouldn't store one any place unless I was checking on it routinely or there was regular security as there is where we store our fifth wheel. 

Sorry for being unclear. In my comment I was speaking of units stored at home in driveways, beside garages, etc. They have discovered people sleeping/ using campers and travel trailers. I was not referring to storage facilities.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#13 ardvark

ardvark

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:29 PM

Sorry for being unclear. In my comment I was speaking of units stored at home in driveways, beside garages, etc. They have discovered people sleeping/ using campers and travel trailers. I was not referring to storage facilities.

Got it, thanks for clarifying. :)

Steve

#14 roverjohn

roverjohn

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationKANSAS CITY

Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:58 PM

Hasn't there been reports of stolen campers fairly recently here on WTW? I seem to remember a couple, both in the PNW where the owners were hoping to refind their campers, which then turned into 'we need to be tougher on crime' threads or maybe one turned into a 'back in my day' thread..

#15 ardvark

ardvark

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 10:10 PM

I think where it occurred is crucial. I know theft is a problem when things are left unattended in the BLM as I have heard accounts of that myself. I think the issue is how often it occurs at someone's home in a good neighborhood. 

My two cents

Steve

#16 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 16 October 2019 - 10:22 PM

I would just secure it - on platform, etc., as others have suggested here and not worry too much about theft. Of more concern to me would be a cover or shelter from the elements. The one/first winter we stored our camper outside off the truck was a hassle because we deal with heavy snow and snow load, probably not an issue for you. Good luck with your solution.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#17 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 18 October 2019 - 06:41 PM

^^^

I agree with Ski. Are there any mini warehouses near you? Storing the camper in a building would solve the theft/vandalism problem along with degradation due to constantly being exposed to the weather.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users