17 replies to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 19 October 2019 - 03:20 PM

....................especially if it involves high mountains?

Decades Old Human Remains discovered on Mount Williamson

another article with more details

Skeleton unearthed beneath California peak

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 03:45 PM

If you'd like to look at Williamson Bowl on Google Earth -

36°39.207'N 118°19.486'W

these are not the coordinates of the location of the body.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 11:55 PM

Mysteries abound. Likely an interesting story if it ever gets figured out.

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#4 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 03:11 AM

Mysteries abound. Likely an interesting story if it ever gets figured out.

The remains are old, possibly decades. It looks like a burial. It doesn't match a missing person case. A fractured skull. "No foul play is suspected." Who is it? Who did the burial?

#5 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 20 October 2019 - 04:01 AM

My gal and I have climbed Mt. Williamson years ago, I often think about discovering something or body out there. We use to make 9 day backpack trips completely off trail and thought how would anybody find us.

I lost my favorite doctor, he went solo from the rest of his group and fell after summiting a peak. Took days to find him.

Modern day tracking devices now help, but my PLB only works if I'm alive and can activate it. The ones that long track and send out coordinates updating regularly intervals is what I would like if we were still doing these off the grid routes.

Edit to enlarge text...Tablet makes it too darn small!!!

Edited by pvstoy, 20 October 2019 - 04:05 AM.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#6 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 03:17 PM

On of the saddest but enlightening death in the mountains -

The Mike Turner Story

#7 PacingTheCage

PacingTheCage

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:25 PM

Wow! Truly sad but also enlightening as you sad.

#8 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 23 October 2019 - 08:58 PM

Looks like mystery solved.  The body found in Williamson Bowl is believed to be that of a Manzanar internee who was part of the "Manzanar Fishing Club".  A group of 10 or so took shelter overnight from a snow squall on July 29,1945 and the next morning one member of the party was missing.  His body was subsequently found and was laid to rest at the scene.

Authorities are awaiting the return of DNA testing to confirm the identity.

Full story just posted by the Associated Press outlets.

Foy

Edited by Foy, 23 October 2019 - 09:18 PM.

#9 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 10:25 PM

Wow, such a historic and unexpected twist to the story. The guys in the Manzanar Fishing Club were darn tough to climb up to that fishing hole. Foy, thanks so much for posting this!

#10 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 24 October 2019 - 09:18 PM

Wow, such a historic and unexpected twist to the story. The guys in the Manzanar Fishing Club were darn tough to climb up to that fishing hole. Foy, thanks so much for posting this!

Whoa, I'll say they were some tough individuals to get up there from the internment camp!  If I'm seeing the grounds correctly, the lowest lake in the bowl and the one directly feeding Williamson Creek has a pool elevation of 11,600'.  The lower end of the Manzanar footprint on the same digital topo is at 3,880'.  So 7,720' of elevation gain in around 10 miles!  That's Mr. Ski3pin style hike-in fishing!

Foy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users