17 replies to this topic

#11 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,251 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 21 October 2019 - 04:13 PM

We are so blessed with the incredible natural landscapes within our Nation's border. We are also one of the few nations with large tracts of open public lands we can wander through, visit, and enjoy. I fear when these treasures are exploited for private financial gain.

The erosion of benefits related to interagency passes is an short sighted "cure" for issues when as Missing Link says, "There is a whole lot more to it than that."

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#12 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,251 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 21 October 2019 - 04:46 PM

It jumps out at me that that this committee put together to help with policy is shockingly almost all private industry. How is the public represented in these discussions?

gallery_1902_252_587456.jpg

My perspective is based on personal experience - I served six years (two three year terms, appointed by the Chief of the Forest Service and then appointed to a second term by the Secretary of Agriculture) on a Federal Recreation Resource Advisory Committee set up by the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act of 2004. The Committee was mandated to have broad representation from local governments, private sector, and public recreation users. It was my honor to represent Winter Non-Motorized users.  When I see the make up of the above committee, I am stunned.

No matter where we may stand with political views, we all should be concerned with one sided representation.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#13 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 21 October 2019 - 05:37 PM

To clarify, all we have at the moment are recommendations from this committee.   There is no word on if the National Park Service will adopt all, none or some of these recommendations. 

This committee was obviously stacked in favor of industry, and specific industries at that, so their recommendations are not too surprising. 

The worrying aspect of this is that the NPS has already adopted one of the prior recommendations that came out of this committee - allowing e-bikes within the parks and they adopted this without any pubic input.    While that may be a slightly less contentious recommendation, let us hope that this is not a sign of the current NPS/DOI leadership will adopt these other suggestions without further more balanced input.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#14 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 21 October 2019 - 09:11 PM

I know that what I am going to say is anecdotal and not particularly insightful but the day I turned 62, I drove to the front gate at Sequoia NP to purchase my "geezer pass."  I paid my $10.00 and commented about what a good deal it was.  The park employee that I was dealing with said, "Sir, you've paid taxes all of your life and you've earned this privilege . . . . . congratulations."  Again, I realize that there is a whole lot more to it than that, but it sure made me feel good!

Yes it IMO one of the "perks" of seniorism here in the USA. ( I've had my geezer card since Oct 2005)

I don't feel bad about the $10 fee I paid for the pass.

I also use my "saved" money on fees to donate to nonprofit groups that support our parks and eco systems.

It's sad to see any "privatization" for our national treasures.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#15 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 22 October 2019 - 02:00 AM

So what's new guys? This is how things works these days, management by the one percent, and I fear it will only get worse. I just started that new revolutionary war trilogy by Rick Atkinson with book 1, "The British Are Coming."  Why did I bring this up in this up in this thread-what was one of the main reasons why we broke  from GB and is one of the supposed  main foundations of our country "No taxation without representation." A philosophy  that is apparently sadly lacking in how our Public Lands are now to be  managed.  Remember to vote.

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#16 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:50 AM

Come on.  Can they really do that?  I mean they sold you a product with benefits and now they want to change them on you?  Kind of sounds like a 'bait and switch' tactic!  Lame.  They raised the fee (which is fine) but now to reduce the services?

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#17 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 October 2019 - 02:53 PM

Time to start writing to our representatives..... They don't read WTW.....

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#18 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 22 October 2019 - 06:09 PM

Time to start writing to our representatives..... They don't read WTW.....

VOTE EARLY AND OFTEN

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users