9 replies to this topic

#1 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 20 October 2019 - 11:24 PM

I'm bummed thursday, I have Friday and Sunday off. My company likes to give us non consecutive days off :( Then at the last minute Saturday work is cancelled. Yay. Too late to do much planning but one the best things about our campers is not much is really needed. I'll head down 395 and hit some of those roads I keep passing by and say "one of these days I've got to see whats down that road.

Winter is coming, you can tell by the number of locked gates, signage removed or covered over for the season.

Of course I left my camera at home so only a few cell phone pics. At least its better than the old days when you'd settle for a disposable 110 at the pharmacy. Weather is not bad as I head out Friday. I love the cloud formations you see along the way, too bad I missed the one that looked like a flying saucer.

KIMG0056%5B1%5D-L.jpg

I'd planned on staying along the Little Walker River but the Obsidian campground was open (scheduled to close Sunday) and I do like concrete restrooms. One couple at the entrance and what looked a scout troop at the other end left the entire middle section for me. I walked as far as I could considering my hip was bothering me. 

KIMG0057%5B1%5D-L.jpg

Lots of critters to give Riley some exercise.

KIMG0059%5B1%5D-L.jpg

KIMG0058%5B1%5D-L.jpg

I don't usually have a campfire when I'm solo but I'd picked up a little wood at the Safeway in Pollock Pines and enjoyed a brief fire. Now there was a little slip of paper included with the wood, this wood is heat treated, insect free, imported from Latvia. Now I'm part Lithuanian so I know where Latvia is. What a strange world we live in where it makes sense for me to burn wood in a California forest that comes from halfway around the world. /boggle

It was cold at night. My heater got a good workout. The dogs water was solidly frozen over so I wasn't too surprised to hear the scout troop pull out at O dark thirty. Of course I only run the heater for the dog. The next day we go looking for Emma Lake.

KIMG0060%5B1%5D-L.jpg

I think I found the trail but not up to walking. I need to confer with my doc.We did get to a point where you can see over part the Burt Canyon trail. Nice cabins down there. Had to turn around in a spot where I'm not sure I'd have been able to with only 2wd.

KIMG0063%5B1%5D-L.jpg

KIMG0062%5B1%5D-L.jpg

On the way to follow Ski3pins advice and head to Rodriguez flat I detoured a bit on 108 and at the Marine base I asked the guy if they had a museum. He said "we do, but its closed and if it was open you couldn't go in without a military ID.

KIMG0064%5B1%5D-L.jpg

Head up and see the stamp mill. I wasn't aware they did any mining around Walker.

KIMG0066%5B1%5D-L.jpg

KIMG0067%5B1%5D-L.jpg

Head on up the road, Pretty steep switchbacks. Nice views but it was windy as all get out. At the horse corral a guy drives up, "you look lost". Nope, just looking for a place to camp. Really nice guy and we had a nice long chat. He was in the process of closing things up. Never believe a forecast for this area, they're always wrong. I looked around but it was just too windy to camp there.

KIMG0068%5B1%5D-L.jpg

I didn't see a lot of color, wasn't the purpose of this trip but there was a little.

KIMG0065%5B1%5D-L.jpg

Made it to the other side of the mountain and camped at the Wolf Creek TH. Only one other camper there who appropriately had a camper with a big Wolf Creek sticker on it. Now if my hip wasn't enough I stepped out the camper and felt a twinge in my back. Definitely no hiking this trip.

KIMG0069_01_BURST1000069_COVER%5B1%5D-L.

Not as cold here but still glad to have a heater. Plenty of rodents for Riley to chase. He's much to slow to ever catch one. Sunday is visit the parents day so we head out early. Plenty of people out fishing. A little ice on the road around the Caples lake, Kirkwood area to keep things interesting. 

As I turn onto the Mormon Emigrant Trail I see tons of rigs, tents (the kind you put up with elephants size) and people at the old Iron Mountains Ski area site. At first I as thinking is this some kind of festival? Then I remembered the uncontrolled control burn. It looked they'd invited to a party over social medial and it went viral. Biggest base camp/staging area I've ever seen.

KIMG0070%5B1%5D-L.jpg

Lassen hot shots parked alongside the road. Fire engines coming and going which I thought was odd considering its burning largely in a roadless area. The road block on the Silverfork road was thoughtfully placed in spot where it was difficult to turn around. 

Got back in time to see the Niners barely beat one the worst teams in the NFL. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 20 October 2019 - 11:48 PM

The Lady said, "There's a FWC on a Ram. I wonder who that is?"

Glad you had a good time. You can drive through the MWTC - stop and ask, don't get these people angry - and access the area behind. One road will take you on dirt to intersect 108 just east of Sonora Pass.  A few dispersed sites as you near 108. They can be popular with deer hunters this time of year.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 20 October 2019 - 11:57 PM

I plan on doing that one of these days. I haven't been down 108 in 15-20 years. I did see half a dozen FWC on this trip. Didn't get a chance to talk to anyone. I imagine not stopping at the MWTC might get real interesting :)

Are you getting smoke from the fire? Looked like it might be just hitting the edge of town.

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 21 October 2019 - 01:19 AM

Winter is here in some places.  Friday we had a lost PCT through hiker rescued near Brietenbush Lake (close to Mt Jefferson Wilderness Area).  He had mild frost bite and hypothermia from exposure to a soaking rain and snow.  I had just been grouse hunting there a few weeks ago.

What blows my mind is he’s planning to go back on the trail and finish the journey.

I am haunted by waters

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 21 October 2019 - 03:56 PM

Craig, Julie enjoyed your post and happily identified all the locations and remembered your turn around point. :)

Are you getting smoke from the fire? Looked like it might be just hitting the edge of town.

Smoke has been settling in overnight for the last two weeks. It is the folks in the Carson Valley that have been impacted the worse with smoke. In the recent north wind event it blew smoke south from the Carson Valley down the east side. We could not see up Green Creek or Virginia Creek because the smoke was so bad. The best quote I saw, "The prescribed burn when out of prescription."

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 21 October 2019 - 09:26 PM

Firewood imported from Latvia? That is one I haven't heard before. :blink: Looks like some good times out and about with Riley. Thanks for the report!

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#7 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 21 October 2019 - 09:26 PM

Craig thanks for the trip.

I find it more that strange that we have to import campfire wood from Latvia.

Don't we have enough dead standing trees to cut for that use?

Think of the "carbon footprint" for the importation of the wood.

Oh well glad to see your photos.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#8 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 22 October 2019 - 02:46 AM

I meant to mention, as much as the heater ran I never got below 94 S.O.C or 12.8 v. Very happy with my solar setup. 

I saw smoke on the way up but thankfully none of it was blowing my way at the time.

Btw, the latvian wood did burn nicely. https://www.alibaba....ood-latvia.html

Some impressive acreage numbers.  https://www.latviatimber.com/untitled

#9 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 22 October 2019 - 11:58 PM

Craig, thanks for sharing. Nice little trip. jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#10 WjColdWater

WjColdWater

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 23 October 2019 - 12:29 PM

You western guys have some sweet areas!  I’m stockpiling ideas for future road trips. Thanks for sharing!

Wayne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users