Photo
- - - - -

new tires - snow rating - new truck - not worry? chains?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 LosAngeles

LosAngeles

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 03:04 PM

Hello all you nice people :) 

I'm about to custom order a 2020 F350 4 x 4 and according to Ford the tires included are: LT275/70Rx18E BSW A/T. These are to get the E load rating on the tires needed to get 11,500 GVWR.

I am told I don’t have any choice in what tire is used by Ford - that this is what will arrive. I’m also told that Ford will use any brand of tires. No way to tell or select in advance.

The question is - what are the odds that these tires will be snow rated?

More to the point - should I actually care if they are snow rated?

I have encountered places where the tires needed to be snow rated, or you have to carry chains, IIRC. So should I just buy a set of chains and call it good?

Thanks. Just asking to learn. I will be encountering snow.

#2 knoxswift

knoxswift

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationAshburn, Virginia

Posted 22 October 2019 - 03:34 PM

Usually AT tires are not Great but also not to bad in snow.

I live in the mountains. I purposely purchase tires that are "SnowFlake" rated, there are tires in E available with SnowFlake.

It is also mandatory to carry chains whether you have snow rated tires or not where I live. But usually at the check point the snow flake and having 4x4 gets me by without having to slap on chains...

Edited by knoxswift, 22 October 2019 - 03:42 PM.

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 22 October 2019 - 03:38 PM

For California take a look at CalTrans webpage -

Chain Controls

Looking at "snow thread tires," the requirements are pretty lenient.

There is a gray area on larger trucks. Take a look at R1 conditions where it mentions light trucks under 6000 lbs. I've been told twice at chain up check points that 4x4 trucks over 6000 lbs even with snow tires are required to chain up in R2 conditions. Our truck is under 6000 lbs.

All vehicles in winter in possible chain control areas are required to carry chains or cables as there is the chance conditions could go to R3 where all vehicles need chains.

Bottom line is do you want to be driving in those conditions? Ready for them, yes, of course. Pull aside, pop the top, and brew up some hot chocolate.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 22 October 2019 - 03:49 PM

Many tires are M+S rated and some carry the snowflake symbol, meaning they come with more capability in those conditions. I’ve had mixed results with both and find that good siping is often the key, YMMV. For my use I want steady performance on ice (if such a thing exists 😂) thus my preference for the siping. Chains? In CA I always carry them (CHP WILL CHECK!) but haven’t had to use them in decades. All of my vehicles are 4WD.

If you have a preference for a specific tire maker you can often have the dealer exchange them with the stock units for a modest up charge. I never have, I run the stockers until I have an idea of the driving characteristics of the truck.

Good luck with the purchase!

Edit: Great advice posted by others as I was typing! 👍

Edited by Mighty Dodge Ram, 22 October 2019 - 03:51 PM.

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#5 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 22 October 2019 - 06:02 PM

My bet would be the ATs will be M+S rated but likely not snowflake. If curious enough I'd look at the tires on a dealer lot or ask on a Ford forum tho understood, there are no 2020's out yet.

Whether M+S cuts it for your jurisdiction I can't say. Mine added M+S a few years back to the previous snow tires or chains on highways after Oct 1 requirement.

Chains can get you past the legal part. (I also carry them for mud). Thing is, do you want to use them ? Or, if you are relying on the tires, are they going to be suitable for the conditions. After all, you're spending how much on a rig ?

That said, the Conti ATs that came on our truck had a sorry reputation on the enthusiasts forums, "junk", "garbage", etc. We ran them 3 years and they handled everything I put them thru - including snow. If I was driving more snow I'd get a dedicated set of winter tires/wheels. That would be safest.

#6 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 22 October 2019 - 06:05 PM

As Ski said "chains/cables" are required to carry and use for all in R3 conditions.

It's cheep insurance to buy a set store them some where in the truck/camper.

If you need them you have them.If you don't have them but need them your travel may be

restricted.

Remember if you are driving in a chain control area and you are required to chain up,

and don't that you will be fined a separate amount for every chain up sign you passed

if you get in a accident/get stuck in some drift.

IMO it's not worth it.Chains are cheep.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#7 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 22 October 2019 - 11:15 PM

For what it is worth...I live in snow country... nasty New England at 1600 feet. lots of snow ice sleet etc... I have found over 8 years with the Cooper Discoverer  E rated A/T3 does remarkably well in rain and fine for me in snow. Mind you...for those that try to drive an empty truck in winter ...nothing will help if you don't have weight in the back. I know it sounds severe but I made a platform so I can carry weight in the bed and still have a flat top to do what I need to carry. I carry a slab of 600 pounds of cement 6" deep. Good for the alignment w/o camper and essential for control in snow. I have never slid nor fishtailed. Mind you... when it gets bad nothing will be perfect... 4WD just gets you stuck in deeper snow.

BTW ... what chains are most rec'd for our trucks?

Edited by buckland, 22 October 2019 - 11:17 PM.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#8 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 23 October 2019 - 12:22 AM

I have a set of cables for LT trucks.

Never used them no do I want to.

Only insurance

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#9 Edgewood

Edgewood

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • LocationBellingham WA

Posted 23 October 2019 - 05:40 AM

For me it's the "last mile"conundrum. I swap out my AT tires for snow tires when winter rolls around. But still... but still it's that last mile that can be problematic. The road may be unplowed dirt and snow, icy or compacted and glazed snow, steep up or down. I carry chains. I don't use them often but they sure can help get you out of a tricky situation.

#10 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 23 October 2019 - 06:08 AM

Are they going to look for the snowflake rating on your tires? No. If you have MTs or ATs and 4wd they'll wave you on by. Thats my experience. In winter I'll carry chains but the only time I've been checked is once when I was towing  a trailer. 

Ski is right though. The one time I had to chain up my trailer I'd have been better off just finding a place to spend the night . 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users