Photo
- - - - -

new tires - snow rating - new truck - not worry? chains?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#11 2trout

2trout

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationGlenwood Springs

Posted 23 October 2019 - 02:06 PM

I have never bought a new vehicle, so i know little about the process. If you are custom ordering the truck from a dealer, maybe negotiate for the tires you want to be installed on arrival?

trout

#12 LosAngeles

LosAngeles

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 02:12 PM

Thanks everyone for all the great thoughts.

I am actually ordering the truck thru a broker, who then is actually working with a dealer, but it means zero dealer “negotiations”. But I save tons of money and zero hassle. Have done this a few times before. Highly recommended. Perhaps not for everyone.

Anyway - so I will get chains - for just in case - but will try to avoid using them.

Any recommendations for chains that won’t break if I use them, but are cost effective? Also self tightening and easy to install.

Thanks. 🙂

#13 HughDog

HughDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 12:13 AM

Pretty sure that your 4x4 350 will have enough weight to plow thru all kinds of snow conditions (not counting ice)!  I'd probably just get chains that work for a tire size and wheel size that you are likely to move to if you have any ideas on that already. 

Not sure about you, but I could not wait to burn off the OEM meat and get into a new wheel tire set-up.  Seemed lame that I'd end up buying another set of chains that I'd probably never use - So I carried my Honda's chains to show Highway Patrol if needed.  

Probably sounds nuts, and I would not advise you to be unsafe -  But I traveled about 4K miles in huge snow (Sierras/Rockies) during a pineapple express storm in 2017.  Every state that I went to got a fresh dump during my travel and I never once had an issue - Moreover, I did this with half burn't oem A/T meats (some past the sipes).  At some point between Sun Valley and Jackson Hole I was paving treads 1-2 feet of powder for hours.

Unless you end up with some garbage A/T's, in really big mounds > 2ft of unkept roads, I'd bet the weight of your front end will compensate through most conditions excluding ice.    

All that said, maybe you find yourself in a unique situation like mud, ice or California R3's and all of that which needs to be conquered -   If all you got is a bag of Honda chains, maybe you can spend the night in your Four Wheel Camper!  Best of luck-

Edited by HughDog, 24 October 2019 - 12:28 AM.

2014 Ram 3500 MegaCab, 1983 FWC Fleet

#14 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 24 October 2019 - 01:32 AM

Not sure about you, but I could not wait to burn off the OEM meat and get into a new wheel tire set-up.  Seemed lame that I'd end up buying another set of chains that I'd probably never use - So I carried my Honda's chains to show Highway Patrol if needed.  

Haha, I love this. Bet there's nothing in the regs that say the chains carried have to actually fit ! Sure, perhaps not in the spirit of the law but hey, if one's primary is compliance and lowest cost ...

fwiw, an owner could drive their brand new truck to a tire shop and do a trade in. Heck, some shops will do mobile right to the dealer lot. Might lose the truck tire warranty tho.

#15 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 24 October 2019 - 01:53 AM

I am so ambivalent about chains or cables. Now in my mid-60's, and being raised in Montana, Utah and Idaho, I have been in lots of different snow conditions over the years. I have never had to chain or cable up, and never bought 'snow' tires. Lucky or foolish, I don't know. But when we get our Hawk in January for the Tundra i am debating getting chains. Not sure. I know how to put them on, having helped other people do so. But weight and space seem better used for other things. Hmmm...

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#16 LosAngeles

LosAngeles

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 02:03 AM

all great thoughts. 

thanks everyone. 

much appreciated.  :)

J.

#17 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 24 October 2019 - 03:12 PM

Re: chains and tire size matching up. Once, and only once, I had a Chipper actually check the tag on the chain bag and my tires. Hwy 18 heading to Big Bear, icy road conditions, mini vans strewn all over the place. 😂

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#18 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 24 October 2019 - 09:08 PM

With newer vehicles it is especially important to double check that the chains do not interfere with break lines and sensors. The spacing behind the wheel is getting smaller as the years go by (new F-350 should be fine). I used to live and work on a mountain pass and have seen brake lines and sensor lines ripped by chains and socks. I carry chains in my personal vehicles but have only used them off road. I may know somebody that passes their tow chain off as a tire chain.

I have put chains on my F-450 plow and they gave me more grip then I had on dry pavement, my transmission can attest to that.

Just don't get auto socks. Those things are worthless and down right dangerous.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#19 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,771 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 24 October 2019 - 09:19 PM

And do yourself a favor actually instal the chains after purchasing to make sure they match the tag and fit. Also to make sure you know how they go on when there is not a blizzard. Bought some that were wrong model inside package.

Les schwab will buy back the chains at end of season if not used.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#20 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 24 October 2019 - 11:27 PM

When we ordered our F-350 we got Michelin’s..

https://www.tirerack...77R8LTXAT2OWLV3

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users