• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bwesty86

Bwesty86

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 06:29 PM

Very interested in purchasing an Alaskan camper, does anyone know if they offer financing for a new one?

#2 Leviticus907

Leviticus907

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationNorthwest North America

Posted 23 October 2019 - 06:34 PM

It is really hard to find a used Alaskan that isn't super old. People dont let go of these things because they are extremely rad and fantastic. I was lucky enough to find a used one in my area a 2016 but I spent a year searching craigslist and facebook marketplace, RV trader literally every single day. If you've got the money.

Buy a new one keep that guy in business. You could always sell your camper later for barely any loss in value.
2004 Silverado Ext. Cab 4x4 6.0 2500hd
2016 Alaskan Camper i.e. best decision I've ever made ;)

#3 Bwesty86

Bwesty86

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 06:57 PM

Yes all I’ve been seeing is old ones from the 70s. I’ve been looking for one that’s just a few years old. Thanks I’ll continue the search

#4 Leviticus907

Leviticus907

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationNorthwest North America

Posted 23 October 2019 - 06:58 PM

I would check colorado and california craigslist's alot. In my searching that's where I found 3 possibles and one of the three became mine.
2004 Silverado Ext. Cab 4x4 6.0 2500hd
2016 Alaskan Camper i.e. best decision I've ever made ;)

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 23 October 2019 - 07:11 PM

Very interested in purchasing an Alaskan camper, does anyone know if they offer financing for a new one?

Give them a call.  Bryan Wheat is the manager, and will have the answers.

I am haunted by waters

#6 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,382 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 23 October 2019 - 11:30 PM

Give them a call.  Bryan Wheat is the manager, and will have the answers.

I tried to engage with them about their new flatbeds.  They didn't have much info and didn't seem overly interested in answering my questions and referred to the video that was made at one of the expos.   

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#7 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 24 October 2019 - 12:20 AM

I tried to engage with them about their new flatbeds.  They didn't have much info and didn't seem overly interested in answering my questions and referred to the video that was made at one of the expos.   

Hmmmm, I wonder what’s changed...  I had several very good experiences with them, with both Bryan and Rick.

I am haunted by waters

#8 Bwesty86

Bwesty86

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 02:09 AM

The owner was set up at overland East expo, I thought they were the nicest campers out of the expo

#9 Optimistic Paranoid

Optimistic Paranoid

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 08:20 AM

Your bank or credit union won't give you a loan for one?  My credit union will.

Usually, getting your own financing gets you lower rates than going through a middleman who is going to want to make his own profit on it.

Regards

John

Rule #1 For Wandering The West: DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

I Don't Like To Make Plans.  They Cause The Word "Premeditated" To Get Used In Court.

My Body Is A Temple!  Ancient, Falling Apart, Probably Cursed . . .

#10 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 24 October 2019 - 07:16 PM

There was a time around the late '70s early '80s when something like particleboard was used for the cabinetry. When it gets wet, it swells up and fails. There are some threads about that here on WTW I believe. That may have something to do with the gap between the early and more modern used Alaskans out there for sale. It wasn't actually a design fault as much as it was a maintenance issue. The roof vents can leak if the sealant isn't replaced over time. Same for front/rear drain channels, etc.

Alaskans are often compared to an old wooden boat interior....and just like that old wooden boat, you have to maintain the watertight integrity of your Alaskan.

Cab/Overs were not produced from Day One so finding one of them is even harder and they tend to have additional wood damage (rot) on them.  My suggestion for an interested buyer is decide if they want a CO or a non-CO, then the first criteria is to make a detailed survey of the interior and if you find rot/mold, etc. pass on that unless you are desperate for a complete tear-down project. As important is the condition of the floor; if the wood is "soft" and if it is still solid where it meets the sides, front and rear of the lower section.

I searched for a year or so before finding one only 30 miles from me only to find it was sold to a guy who was one email ahead of me. A few months later, after I mentioned that I missed it, the buyer decided to go in a different direction an he contacted me. I went to take a look with my truck and a wad of cash and bought it immediately!

Go on CL and search from Washington to San Diego using every town you can and search just about every day....you will get a good idea of the cost and the condition of all Alaskans probably before one pops up but be prepared to jump on it as they don't hang around very long if they are nice ones....the trashed ones are there for EVER but stay away from that kind of project!

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users