32 replies to this topic

#11 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 23 October 2019 - 09:28 PM

My Honda 2000i gennie will push two standard fridges, a couple or three LED light fixtures, a small TV, and by unplugging the fridges briefly, powers a nice cup of K-cup coffee.  

It helps a lot to crank it up, turn it up to WOT, plug in one fridge, then the other, then the TV, and lastly the lights. The initial start-up draws from the fridges are serious relative to the 2000 watt unit's output.

Foy

#12 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 23 October 2019 - 10:36 PM

I figure mine couldn't handle the startup. I did fire it up to make sure it still runs. SMUD is interconnected and stranger things have brought the entire grid down before.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#13 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 24 October 2019 - 09:39 PM

Power just restored............................next event Saturday. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#14 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 24 October 2019 - 10:41 PM

When Hurricane Maria hit the Virgin Islands a couple of years ago we had two friends who lost a lot and of course they had no power.

we FedEx’ed both of them a Generac portable generator like this and believe it or not Fed Ex delivered them both within 48 hours even though nothing could seem to get through.

https://www.homedepo...-7117/302134958

They used those generators daily for about two months and they performed beautifully.

i personally believe that every homeowner should be prepared to live several days off the grid so to speak. It’s one of the reasons we bought a pop up truck camper..

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#15 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 24 October 2019 - 11:06 PM

Thanks for starting this new thread, Mr 3pin.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#16 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 11:11 PM

Eddie, I agree and your post caused me to laugh because on our morning walk this morning - the roar of generators so bad we could hardly talk, double the number of generators from the last outage - there was a Generac installation going in at a home below us. We are quite use to power outages due to winter storms. We have propane stove, water heater, and heat. Food storage was easy - outside, no chance of anything thawing. Our truck and camper is our go to for survival and in this outage we saved the freezer items with the solar powered truckfridge. Julie & I are debating about a generator. KISS is just a small one to run the refrigerator. But this can grow arms and legs in a hurry. "Well, if we get a generator, why not go larger with a few more normal life comforts?" No hurry to make a decision, generators are sold out all over California. :)

The easiest, and cheapest solution is to just leave and go camping and have some fun and replace anything that went bad in the refrigerator. Or, if the outage is predicted to be long, empty it before leaving. If we stay there is that constant generator noise and everyone we talk to is angry. Winter snow really muffles the generator noise. :)

When Hurricane Maria hit the Virgin Islands a couple of years ago we had two friends who lost a lot and of course they had no power.

we FedEx’ed both of them a Generac portable generator like this and believe it or not Fed Ex delivered them both within 48 hours even though nothing could seem to get through.

https://www.homedepo...-7117/302134958

They used those generators daily for about two months and they performed beautifully.

i personally believe that every homeowner should be prepared to live several days off the grid so to speak. It’s one of the reasons we bought a pop up truck camper..

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#17 WjColdWater

WjColdWater

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 25 October 2019 - 12:02 AM

I’ve been following the fires in California on the nightly news. Bad deal for all effected by the power outages. Maybe time to redesign the entire power grid. I’m sure there can be a engineered solution the power grid related fires. Just wondering how many of these fires are caused by discarded lit cigarettes? They never mention that as a possible cause on the news? Hopefully you guys will get some rain soon, hang in there. 
Wayne

#18 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 25 October 2019 - 12:42 AM

Kincade fire looks to be caused by a PG&E high voltage line (230k I think). So they powered down the smaller lines but left the big boys up. Thats going to cause a ruckus.

https://www.sfchroni...en-14560113.php

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#19 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 25 October 2019 - 03:08 AM

Yikes. Is there a calm season left in California? I have several friends who work year around on wildland fire crews in California. Up north fire season has been over for a month already.

My plan to deal with power outages is find place that is on the same circuit as the local school. We are in a very rural area and our power is the first to come back. We get some noise from the football/baseball games but small trade off. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#20 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 02:38 AM

My plan to deal with power outages is find place that is on the same circuit as the local school. We are in a very rural area and our power is the first to come back. We get some noise from the football/baseball games but small trade off. 

We are on the same circuit as our County Fire Station - about .75 mile away. It helps. :)

How should we deal with this one?

Second Alert: October 25, 2019 6:26 PM
Within the next 24 hours, power may be turned off at the following address(es):

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Meter # xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Service Agreement: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users