12 replies to this topic

#11 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 29 October 2019 - 12:49 PM

Concern is that the ECM may not like the different voltages that a smart regulator will use in normal functioning. The OEM reg function appears to seek to always make the system voltage the same regardless of battery need. No idea how much flexibility the ECM has to compensate. In our case all the ECM does is control the trans, has no engine control functions but does have engine sensors.

I would opt for an OEM dual alt system if one exists. Not a lot of faith in the aftermarket. They usually don't understand or bother with stuff like MTBF evaluations.

The one thing that can really mess with you when doing something like this on a 6BT is that there are apparently many, many different fan idler brackets that place the fan in different locations. So need to find a dual alt. application that is similar to the existing install so that it places the fan in the right spot.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#12 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 29 October 2019 - 05:54 PM

What about keeping the charging segregated. OEM for truck, new externally regulated aftermarket for house. (I think this is what Vic is posting)

If one alt fails the other can charge both battery banks thru a combine switch. Or might the PCM still have an issue with an externally controlled output ?

#13 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 30 October 2019 - 01:57 AM

What about keeping the charging segregated. OEM for truck, new externally regulated aftermarket for house. (I think this is what Vic is posting)

If one alt fails the other can charge both battery banks thru a combine switch. Or might the PCM still have an issue with an externally controlled output ?

If going to dual alts it is what I'm advocating as well. A manual combine switch is a good idea. At that point so long as it runs and shifts the other stuff won't be as important as getting back.

Thom

Where does that road go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users