• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 MikeMarkCA

MikeMarkCA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 01:36 AM

3 way, fridge works fine on AC, but in Propane many times loses Propane charge. Needle showing no charge, and a constant clicking outside which I assume is the auto lighter trying to light.
About 50% of the time it works.
Propane stove no problems
Propane heater no problems
Propane water heater no problems.

2013 Lance 950

Any ideas?

Thank you.

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 01 November 2019 - 02:08 AM

Mike, what gauge are you referring to?  I assume one on the gas bottle, but want to make sure.

I am haunted by waters

#3 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 01 November 2019 - 05:59 AM

The burner needs cleaning.

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#4 ardvark

ardvark

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 06:49 AM

The burner needs cleaning.

Agree. OP has not established that he has a propane system problem and given all other appliances operate fine on propane the greater likelihood is that he simply has rust or dirt obstructing his burner. Might be able to fix his problem using nothing more than a puff of air to blow the dirt/rust away. Orifice for the fridge is very small and it doesn't take much to upset gas delivery across the burner.

Edited by ardvark, 01 November 2019 - 06:51 AM.

#5 roverjohn

roverjohn

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationKANSAS CITY

Posted 01 November 2019 - 01:00 PM

If it's not lighting it could also be a blockage of his propane orifice just before the burner. Little bugs like to make their nest there.

#6 MikeMarkCA

MikeMarkCA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 01:21 PM

Sagebrush, thanks for the reply.

The needle Guage on the fridge itself. As I prime the fridge with propane, the needle will rise into green zone to let you know fridge is primed with propane, at that point the clicking stops as the fridge lights.

#7 MikeMarkCA

MikeMarkCA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 01:25 PM

No the fridge lights, indeed sometimes the fridge will work fine, but 50% of the time it goes out, meddle Guage drops out of the green, and auto starter starts clicking seay

I’ll take a fine steel wool to the burner, and perhaps make myself a windguard out of sheet metal as some on other threads have suggested.
So we are talking about cleaning off where the pilot light burns?

Thank you for the replies.

#8 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 01 November 2019 - 02:05 PM

Thanks...  I don’t recall ever seeing a gauge on the refer.  I suspect the other posts about cleaning the burner is correct.   YouTube probably has a video on how to do that for your make/model fridge.

Sagebrush, thanks for the reply.

The needle Guage on the fridge itself. As I prime the fridge with propane, the needle will rise into green zone to let you know fridge is primed with propane, at that point the clicking stops as the fridge lights.

I am haunted by waters

#9 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 02:48 PM

If the gauge is like the Norcold fridges use, it works by sensing heat.  Needle in the green means burner is lit, red means burner NOT lit. Could be the above mentioned items or bad sensor sending bad/no signal to the auto shut off valve or possibility the auto shutoff valve is faulty. I would start by cleaning burner as this is a common(often) problem. Work back from there if no improvement. Just cleaned my burner 2 weeks ago, partially clogged with rust flakes, had a weak flame. Good as new now

Edited by Beach, 01 November 2019 - 07:19 PM.

#10 roverjohn

roverjohn

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationKANSAS CITY

Posted 01 November 2019 - 03:49 PM

I'm still voting the orifice as it often presents exactly as the OP is stating. It might be a Midwest thing but it's always the first place I look.

Tiny tiny  tiny spiders or maybe some sort of mite make the webbing at the back side of the orifice. The way these burners are designed the orifice has to be perfectly clean. Even the smallest obstruction pushes the gas flow away from the center of the tube and that causes the system to draw in less combustion air and then you get a yellow flame which then shuts the gas off due to cold flame.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users