15 replies to this topic

#1 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 02 November 2019 - 09:42 PM

Just a heads up there is a phone scam going around.

The caller starts by telling you some of your accounts will/have been frozen,and that fraudulent activity

has been done to your account.No mention of any names on accounts.

In my case,calls started with my Social Security account had some fraudulent activity,then another call stated my I cloud account has the same activity,I don't even have an I cloud account.

Then you are told to call their number or the within a half hour  the police will be at your door with a warrant.A couple days later and still no cops at my door.

Never is there a mention of my or my wife's name.They don't have specifics of your accounts but

want you to furnish them.I never actually talked to anyone just listened to the threats.

I notified the SSA site and filed a report with the telephone numbers of the callers.

Knowing this was a scam I just ignored the calls and blocked them from my cell phone.

This isn't a new scam. My sister went through this a few years ago.
It really shook her up.She called the police and reported the numbers.

Turned they had other people with the same calls.

Remember your accounts don't call you like this.

This is a pure "Fishing Scam"

Be careful out there.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#2 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 02 November 2019 - 10:18 PM

Good reminder.

I used to worry about my elderly father being scammed by this kind of thing. He once recounted a call he got one weekend. It was concerning suspicious activity on our version of social security and would he provide some personal info, etc.

So Dad says, "Oh, so you're calling from the government ?"

"Yes sir, that's right"

"Well, since when does the government work on Sundays". And bangs down the phone.

Good 'ol pops. Slowed down a lot, but but when it came to being ripped off, he stayed quick on his feet.  :D 

#3 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 02 November 2019 - 11:45 PM

The scams are terrible and so many people are suckers for them. The government could stop them if they wanted to. But we are just not connected as some people. This scammer called the wrong 90 year old man.   

#4 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 03 November 2019 - 01:16 AM

If I have extra time on my hands, i like to pull "The what?" on them.  

#5 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 03 November 2019 - 04:05 PM

That’s funny! Yup, got a voicemail on our house phone (we don’t ever use it anymore) from an Officer “so and so” of the IRS telling us that if we didn’t return his call within 24 hours our bank accounts and all assets would be frozen and a warrant issued for our arrests. I worry about my elderly mother but so far she has fended off the “hi grandma, I’m stuck overseas and need money” scam before. 

Edited by Mighty Dodge Ram, 03 November 2019 - 04:13 PM.

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#6 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,318 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 03 November 2019 - 06:18 PM

We don't have a land line and I don't answer unknown callers on my cell. Unfortunately, my 38 year old work phone still gets daily telemarketers. I just set down the handset as soon as I figure out who they are and let them carry on until they realize I'm gone.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#7 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 03 November 2019 - 09:17 PM

The calls I received were on my cell.

On our land line I just let the answering machine take care of it.

This type of scam can really take elderly folks hard.

When you hear that your accounts are frozen and no Social Security check

coming it can be a shock.

Keep vigilant .

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#8 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,251 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 03 November 2019 - 10:23 PM

A favorite one that was used on the Lady's 92 year old father goes like this. The elderly person is greeted with a young voice that says "Grandpa." It is an automatic reaction to reply with your granddaughter's real name because you are happy to hear from her. Now the scammer has the name and can role play. In my father-in-law's case, he was told she had just been picked up on a drug charge and needed bail. My father-in-law told her to call me and she should already have the number. His mind, thankfully was quite sharp.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#9 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 04 November 2019 - 02:42 AM

Good one ski3pin. My mom put the fake caller on hold, called my nephew (her grandson) in San Francisco, had a good laugh with him, then told the caller on hold “sorry my dear, but you’re SOL”, followed by the click of the hang up. 

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#10 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 04 November 2019 - 06:58 AM

A while back I got a call from medical alert device marketer. While he was going on with his speal I set the phone down and went on with my day. When I finally hung up the phone an hour later he called back and said we had been disconnected for some reason. I told him I had fallen and couldn't get up. He became very upset and wanted to call authorities. Not wanting the sheriff to show up at my door I told him I was just f..ing with him and take me off his list.

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users