#1 Leviticus907

Leviticus907

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationNorthwest North America

Posted 05 November 2019 - 04:36 AM

I'm wondering if anybody has used double roll gasket material for the three cabover folding pieces. The gasket material that came with mine has flattened completely and is no longer expanding creating quite the draft and noise entrance. The gasket material I'm thinking of using is the same as you would use for installing a regular Leer type camper shell to the truck bed.

Thanks!!
2004 Silverado Ext. Cab 4x4 6.0 2500hd
2016 Alaskan Camper i.e. best decision I've ever made ;)

#2 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 06 November 2019 - 01:26 AM

What shape is the rest of the Pirelli seal material on the sides of the camper?

Eventually it ALL degrades, but that stuff has a cord in it like your tires do that allows it to flex but keeps a tight seal.

Buying a roll from Bryan at Alaskan and doing the inside and outside edges on sides/rear will REALLY make a more weathertight seal.

The C/O panels will also eventually shred so they need to be replaced, but this is the mfgers suggested material. Some guys have had some success with other products from what I hear, but this is the way 99% of us seem to go and if the OLD Pirelli seal is still there, you just cut the length to match, attach it and move onto the next section. I started on the inside under the wooden rails on both sides and the door, then did the same locations on the outside before moving on to the C/O section.

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#3 Leviticus907

Leviticus907

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationNorthwest North America

Posted 07 November 2019 - 01:42 AM

What shape is the rest of the Pirelli seal material on the sides of the camper?
Eventually it ALL degrades, but that stuff has a cord in it like your tires do that allows it to flex but keeps a tight seal.
Buying a roll from Bryan at Alaskan and doing the inside and outside edges on sides/rear will REALLY make a more weathertight seal.

The C/O panels will also eventually shred so they need to be replaced, but this is the mfgers suggested material. Some guys have had some success with other products from what I hear, but this is the way 99% of us seem to go and if the OLD Pirelli seal is still there, you just cut the length to match, attach it and move onto the next section. I started on the inside under the wooden rails on both sides and the door, then did the same locations on the outside before moving on to the C/O section.

All the seals between the upper section and lower section are intact and fine. It is only the seal for the 3 folding panels for the bed section of the cab over. It has some round black foam seal that does not have any response or form holding abilities. So when I fold the panels up and lock them in place there is a large gap.

But the seal connecting the upper camper and lower camper are fine.
2004 Silverado Ext. Cab 4x4 6.0 2500hd
2016 Alaskan Camper i.e. best decision I've ever made ;)

#4 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 08 November 2019 - 11:43 PM

Then you could just measure how much Pirelli seal you need and order it from Bryan at Alaskan. I replaced mine in the C/O section and aside from down at the side hinge areas which is kinda pinched due to where the center section folds back on them there is NO light coming through the seals when the top is up.

Too thick or too much material makes it hard to lock the sides to the front section and the rear top section.

I do know that you need a good seal on the top section up front because you are facing into the wind and at 65 MPH plus any headwinds, you have the potential for an air leak that can bring dust and bugs in and when you are on a dusty stretch of backroads, dust WILL get in if it can!

When parked in camp and in storage, you want zero access for critters who want to set up home for the winter. 

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#5 flyboykev

flyboykev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 06:12 PM

I had the same issue this past hunting trip during 19 degree cold weather with my old pinch seals.

I ended up just buying cheap 3/4" diameter black foam pipe insulation in 8 foot lengths.

Split the foam to make a C-channel and just slipped it over the tops of folding bed panels and it sealed the air gaps against the wall nicely for under $10.

flyboykev

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users