#11 Keith in Co

Keith in Co

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCanon City, CO

Posted 18 December 2019 - 11:59 PM

So did you essentially build an insulated platform that sits in the truck bed then camper goes on top?

No, it is fastened to the base of the camper.   The prior owner had done a similar design using 1/2” styrofoam, and when I removed it to install the 1.5”, I saw that even elevating a half-inch off the truck bed floor had saved the plywood camper floor from rotting. It looked almost new. 

I have seen Alaskans mounted with a separate 2x4 frame between the camper and the truck bed floor. I think this would be a golden opportunity to place R-13 fiberglass insulation in the void. 

#12 el_jefe

el_jefe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 23 December 2019 - 02:56 AM

I'd probably go with styrofoam over fiberglass, it still can get wet under there.

#13 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 23 December 2019 - 11:15 AM

This thread may be of interest to you...

http://www.wanderthe...of-your-camper/

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#14 Leviticus907

Leviticus907

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationNorthwest North America

Posted 23 December 2019 - 01:27 PM

@smlobx thanks for the heads up
2004 Silverado Ext. Cab 4x4 6.0 2500hd
2016 Alaskan Camper i.e. best decision I've ever made ;)

#15 Leviticus907

Leviticus907

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationNorthwest North America

Posted 23 December 2019 - 01:29 PM

No, it is fastened to the base of the camper. The prior owner had done a similar design using 1/2” styrofoam, and when I removed it to install the 1.5”, I saw that even elevating a half-inch off the truck bed floor had saved the plywood camper floor from rotting. It looked almost new.

I have seen Alaskans mounted with a separate 2x4 frame between the camper and the truck bed floor. I think this would be a golden opportunity to place R-13 fiberglass insulation in the void.

Yeah as of right now I need about 3 inches of elevation to stay above the cab, so I think I may just build a platform. I cant remember what the bottom of my camper is like but idk why they wouldn't encapsulate it in fiberglass to prevent rot
2004 Silverado Ext. Cab 4x4 6.0 2500hd
2016 Alaskan Camper i.e. best decision I've ever made ;)

#16 JoeKan

JoeKan

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 16 February 2020 - 03:02 AM

A lot of great ideas here and I'm seeing that I'm going to be doing some insulating in my 64 NCO once it gets warmer. One thing I've noticed about mine while living in it in the Mid-west is the Pirelli seals are dried and there are huge gaps which lets in much of the cold air. That's probably the first thing I'm going to fix, but at least I don't have to worry too much about using the propane heater and getting carbon dioxide poisoning. 

1972 NCO Alaskan 10'

#17 Keith in Co

Keith in Co

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationCanon City, CO

Posted 19 February 2020 - 04:55 AM

A lot of great ideas here and I'm seeing that I'm going to be doing some insulating in my 64 NCO once it gets warmer. One thing I've noticed about mine while living in it in the Mid-west is the Pirelli seals are dried and there are huge gaps which lets in much of the cold air. That's probably the first thing I'm going to fix, but at least I don't have to worry too much about using the propane heater and getting carbon dioxide poisoning.

Seals are certainly job #1.  I use garage door seals from a hardware store. My outside seals last 10-15 years, and inside seals much longer. 

Other than testing all of the LP gas fittings for leaks, replacing the stock heater with an Olympian Wave 3 catalytic heater was one of the best upgrades I made in my 8’ NCO. Totally silent and no more stink. Also freed up all the space beneath the closet where the old heater lived. Since catalytic heaters don’t like dust, I keep the cover on it when not in use.

#18 JoeKan

JoeKan

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 21 February 2020 - 12:41 PM

Would the horse stall mat that some put under their Alaskan to prevent slippage work as an insulator too?

1972 NCO Alaskan 10'

#19 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,574 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 21 February 2020 - 01:49 PM

Joe, not much insulation from a stall mat.  They are just ground up tires.

I am haunted by waters

#20 D.MIDNIGHT

D.MIDNIGHT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationNorth of Boston,MA

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:06 PM

I built a platform for my 1956 8' NCO as I needed approx. 3" + to clear my 2016 Ram bedrails. Built the frame out of 2X4's laid upright to acheive 3 1/2". Used 1/4" luan for outer sandwich on both sides. All Kreg pocket holes to secure the frame. Laid 2" foam board ( R 10 ) on lower then  1 1/2" foam board ( R 7.5 ) on top of that. Now have   R 17.5 for floor. PL  construction adhesive to seal Luan to 2X4's. Secured the platform to bottom of camper with 8"  L style brackets. All in all about $140 and half a days work to have toasty feet. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1259.JPEG

Edited by D.MIDNIGHT, 29 March 2020 - 07:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users