Photo
- - - - -

Prospective buyer here. Will a base F150 and a FWC Shell model work?

Ford F150 FWC Four Wheel Camper Shell

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 258 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 12 November 2019 - 11:28 PM

So, what, you loaded up and weighed yourself one time and you'll never be over the GVWR of your vehicle? Geez. Give me a break.

why so negative. 

Yes I loaded up the most I would ever be loaded up and was fine.. 

Just because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean it doesn't work for others.. 

14 F150 SuperCrew 6.5 Bed, 5.0

80's Granby rebuilt from frame..

#32 FoxenTec

FoxenTec

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 November 2019 - 02:30 AM

2017 Ram Tradesman 1500 with 8' bed and the 3.6 305 hp engine.  This truck is about as base of a truck as you can get.  Still has power windows/doors, cruise and a 32 gallon tank, so I was happy.  GVWR is 6600 but the Payload is 1880 which put us a bit better then most of the Rams.  We added a new Grandby in 2018 while updating the Ram with Firestone Air bags and Cooper E rated All Terrains.  Mpg runs between 13 and 17 with 15 being typical.  We have a small fresh and gray water tank and we try to use a lot of our former motorcycle gear (lightweight) when camping.   My only regret with my setup is that I wish I had 4WD and an extended cab for carrying a bit more.  However at that point, I would need to jump to a 3/4 ton to stay under the payload setting.  Love our 1/2 ton and Grandby.  

gallery_8354_1205_2317624.jpg

Edited by FoxenTec, 13 November 2019 - 02:32 AM.

Jon

FoxenTec

#33 natetripsus

natetripsus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 08:22 PM

We've been running our 2017 F150XL for a year now with a Hawk shell and it's worked great. We have the 2.7 Ecoboost engine, air bags, 6.5 foot bed. We top out at 6350 lbs. fully loaded and weighed at a local truck stop.  Our vehicle is rated to 6500 lbs. The engine doesn't seem to strain at all, gets 17 MGP, has been on quite a number of road trips throughout the west, including a good bunch of rough driving in the Mojave desert.  Couldn't be more pleased.

Bjammin, Thanks! This is the experience I've been wanting to hear about. So you are saying that the camper plus humans plus stuff and you are still under the max payload? Any issues with rear suspension, handling, upgrades? I see Ford offers the 2.7l EB pyload package, did you get that?  Did you consider any other engine options, 4WD? If you could do it over again, what would you change?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ford, F150, FWC, Four Wheel Camper, Shell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users