Photo
- - - - -

Prospective buyer here. Will a base F150 and a FWC Shell model work?

Ford F150 FWC Four Wheel Camper Shell

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#51 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 02 December 2019 - 06:03 AM

Perspective after ~18 months ... Truck - 2018 Ford F-150, HD 4x4, 3.5L EB V6 ... Camper - 2018 FWC Grandby Shell.
Truck is a Lariat SuperCab long bed. Lariat HD adds 36 gal tank, upgraded leaf springs, 3.73 locking rear axle, 9.75 gear, 18” HD wheels. All this adds to an increase in the Brochure stated payload to 2,730. My actual Truck sticker says payload is 2373. Rear GAWR is 4,800. Front is 3750. Great combo for my specific, individual adventures. Shell build was worth it.
HD F150 Trucks are not a standard lot item, mine had to be ordered. Purchased in Dec. 2017, built in late winter & finished in April, 2018. The fit & finish are excellent. First Ford for me. The 10 speed transmission, when utilized with “select shift”, can offer manual gear like ascent or descent options. Keeps you in a narrow gear range. Easy, responsive acceleration. Controlled handling, with the Camper actually improving the ride. Do not feel a payload. Mileage is ~15mpg.
Grandby Shell ordered with rollover couch, side awning, heater, glass top stove, king bed, Yakima tracks, 12V AGM battery system, alum jack brackets, thermal pac, rear flood lights. Weight of Camper as built = 1,125 lbs.
I researched & planned to be light with a 1/2 ton Truck. It comes down to gear needs, mine are medium duty. Fly, spin rod, bow & game pack, (not too much with the bow these days) are light. A nice dry, warm interior to end the day after chasing a Steelhead run up the Klamath. 4WD is needed to access several of the River bars.
My Shell infrastructure build out was ~75 lbs. Replaced the 79 aH AGM battery with a 150 aH LFP4 Battery system, which saved 10 lbs. Added solar & aluminum roof rack w/240W, 7gal h20 tank, Dometic CFX 50, Starboard table & counter top, 3 step little giant, exterior shower curtain & hitch tank. Camper wet & loaded = 1450 to ~1,475 lbs.
Truck cab weight ... 2 adults = 325 lbs ... some recovery gear, camp gear, clothes, xtra h2o, fish/bow gear = 150 to ~175lbs, so cab at ~500 lbs ... Total weight load = ~1975 lbs, ~400 lbs under payload. Add another 50lbs, still ~350 lbs under.
Below is a link to my build. The truck handles the Camper easily without strain. Downside to a long bed ... it has a poor turning radius & can not engage in tight, heavy duty 4WD use. I miss my Tacoma in that regard. Upside ... It does offer the roomiest, retirement touring FWC, my wife is satisfied, & it still enables my lighter weight, medium duty hobbies.
http://www.wanderthe...-bt-new-choice/

Edited by Stokeme, 02 December 2019 - 05:21 PM.

#52 natetripsus

natetripsus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 02 December 2019 - 07:20 PM

Perspective after ~18 months ... Truck - 2018 Ford F-150, HD 4x4, 3.5L EB V6 ... Camper - 2018 FWC Grandby Shell.
Truck is a Lariat SuperCab long bed. Lariat HD adds 36 gal tank, upgraded leaf springs, 3.73 locking rear axle, 9.75 gear, 18” HD wheels. All this adds to an increase in the Brochure stated payload to 2,730. My actual Truck sticker says payload is 2373. Rear GAWR is 4,800. Front is 3750. Great combo for my specific, individual adventures. Shell build was worth it.
HD F150 Trucks are not a standard lot item, mine had to be ordered. Purchased in Dec. 2017, built in late winter & finished in April, 2018. The fit & finish are excellent. First Ford for me. The 10 speed transmission, when utilized with “select shift”, can offer manual gear like ascent or descent options. Keeps you in a narrow gear range. Easy, responsive acceleration. Controlled handling, with the Camper actually improving the ride. Do not feel a payload. Mileage is ~15mpg.
Grandby Shell ordered with rollover couch, side awning, heater, glass top stove, king bed, Yakima tracks, 12V AGM battery system, alum jack brackets, thermal pac, rear flood lights. Weight of Camper as built = 1,125 lbs.
I researched & planned to be light with a 1/2 ton Truck. It comes down to gear needs, mine are medium duty. Fly, spin rod, bow & game pack, (not too much with the bow these days) are light. A nice dry, warm interior to end the day after chasing a Steelhead run up the Klamath. 4WD is needed to access several of the River bars.
My Shell infrastructure build out was ~75 lbs. Replaced the 79 aH AGM battery with a 150 aH LFP4 Battery system, which saved 10 lbs. Added solar & aluminum roof rack w/240W, 7gal h20 tank, Dometic CFX 50, Starboard table & counter top, 3 step little giant, exterior shower curtain & hitch tank. Camper wet & loaded = 1450 to ~1,475 lbs.
Truck cab weight ... 2 adults = 325 lbs ... some recovery gear, camp gear, clothes, xtra h2o, fish/bow gear = 150 to ~175lbs, so cab at ~500 lbs ... Total weight load = ~1975 lbs, ~400 lbs under payload. Add another 50lbs, still ~350 lbs under.
Below is a link to my build. The truck handles the Camper easily without strain. Downside to a long bed ... it has a poor turning radius & can not engage in tight, heavy duty 4WD use. I miss my Tacoma in that regard. Upside ... It does offer the roomiest, retirement touring FWC, my wife is satisfied, & it still enables my lighter weight, medium duty hobbies.
http://www.wanderthe...-bt-new-choice/

Stokeme,

That's the dream!   Did you add any suspension enhancements to the factory F150 HD?  

Me being budget conscious, I'm looking at F150 Scab V8 4x4s 6.5' bed for a Hawk shell. Brochure payload of 2200 and lots on the used market. I would love to special order a truck like yours but...

I guess I didn't mention that my small business operates almost entirely in SF where I live (unfortunately) but business has been good.  I can only have one vehicle in my life.  This is why my initial idea was the shortest truck WB for city life (hate it). Its the FWC I want, the truck is just to carry the camper. Thus I can spend my free time in the Sierras (and beyond) where I hope to retire. 

I would love a long rolling condo truck and a Grandby but I also need to drive around and park in the city. 

Question to all:  Ground to top of camper (closed) vehicle heights?  Assuming average build, no extra lifts or big wheels.  My garage max height is 7' but I've seen some people push it. 

Edited by natetripsus, 02 December 2019 - 07:21 PM.

#53 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 02 December 2019 - 07:59 PM

That is a legit set up.

My FWC Eagle was over 7' on both my old Dodge Dakota and newer Tacoma. The bed height for my Tacoma 3-4" lower than my F150. Just checked in my driveway. The roof of the camper is around 7' 1" but the vent is another 4".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#54 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 02 December 2019 - 08:23 PM

No mods, HD factory Truck. The “upgraded leaf springs”, I think, is just the addition of another leaf spring. Along with the other HD additions I read somewhere that the front end may be a little beefier, along with the bearings, but can not confirm that info. This combo would not have been in the budget raising a family.
We live in the East Bay, my daughter & her family live in SF. They have one vehicle. Yes, no way driving or parking a Scab, long bed truck, in the City. My rolling apartment is a compromise to satisfy my wife’s desire for a Sprinter CamperVan. Between backpacking & family car camping, we’ve been in a tent for 40+ years. I had her at hello when she could get up, turn the heater on, & make coffee inside the Camper. So far, We do all the cooking outside. I still can not get away from ... at night, you do not cook, or have fresh food out, where you sleep. I do live with food being in the Dometic. This is a great Forum, I spent a couple years browsing, off & on, before my purchase. Learned a lot about Solar. Happy Trails.

*Approximate height to the top of my Yakima tracks (not rack) is 88”. Add another 2 1/2” for an aluminum tube DIY solar panel rack. Oh yeah, correction, actually add 4” for vent, so 92” +/-. Roof solar is something you will want.

Edited by Stokeme, 02 December 2019 - 10:44 PM.

#55 WjColdWater

WjColdWater

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:47 PM

Very nice and well thought out sir! That will be my next ride for our Grandby. Congrats! 

#56 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 02 December 2019 - 11:25 PM

I have a 14 F150 no mods other than airbags and upgraded shocks, standard tire size) with a Grandby and have two garage doors.. one 7 foot and one 8 foot.. I cannnot fit in the 7 foot one, not even close.. I can get into the 8 foot one, but need to air down airbags.. 

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#57 FoxenTec

FoxenTec

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 December 2019 - 02:38 AM

I have the Ram/Grandby with Airbags and a 4WC roof rack.   My garage is an 8' but lowest entry point is 94"    With my roof rack there is no way to get it in the garage.  Without the roof rack and just the vents and solar panels it "might" squeeze under but still close. I have some incline entering the garage which also hampers it.  Wish I didn't order the roof rack as I have never used it. I might have considered trying to garage mine but the length would be my front bumper against the front of the garage wall and the rear with about an inch to spare.  

Jon

FoxenTec

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ford, F150, FWC, Four Wheel Camper, Shell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users