#11 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 13 November 2019 - 10:46 PM

Don't get me started on exploding beers  :blink:

I did end up driving faster on the washboard, which helped a LOT, but obviously not enough.  I have driven on a bulldozer driven road.  Ugh... that's bad... I think Hole in the Rock was worse.  The other two gravel roads we did (Bullfrog/Notom and Burr Trail) were very tame in comparison.   

We also did have stuff packed tightly, and used empty containers to keep things organized.  Didn't seem to be enough.  As everything was just getting vibrated to bits.  The screws backing out really surprised me for sure.

Stuff at the front of the camper and in the cab of the truck fared much better.  

We experimented with different cabinet latches on this trip too (This was a prototyping run for us.  I built out the Puma shell in two weeks with cabinets, solar, charging, batteries, inverter, fridge, sink and stove... it was a rush job!) and found that the round slam latches that FWC is using now to be the best.

#12 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 14 November 2019 - 04:32 AM

Thom, better shocks sounds like a plan.  Have you heard of such for a 2006 Chevy 3500?

https://www.shockwar...Front-24-186735

and

https://www.shockwar...-Rear-24-186742

~$350 for all:

https://www.shockwar...erado 3500 4WD (incl.+HD%2C+K3500+%26+K30)

That would get you started anyway.

Comment was made about a rubber bed mat. It was on Hole in the Rock where I realized that we really needed one. I was watching the camper do the Cha-Cha in the bed as we were driving. It helped with things like screws working loose, but didn't cure it. It did stop the Cha-Cha which is reason enough to leave it in place.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#13 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 14 November 2019 - 05:04 AM

^ that's what I use, bought from here (if you're not crossing the line)

https://www.bilstein...x=19&Submit.y=7

If interested in these maybe check the cheaper 4600 also. For my rear app was told the valving is the same as the 5100, only diff is the chrome.

btw Vic were you in 4x or 2  ? ...

And, though I've read about the driving faster technique, are you sure you weren't creating at least as many vibrations, just at a different frequency. Just seems to me you'd be pounding the vehicle more. Expect every vehicle is a bit different and perhaps it works better with lighter vehicles, IDK. Whatever works ...

#14 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 14 November 2019 - 02:13 PM

I think wheel-base has a bigger impact on the critical speed than does mass. Even at that, the difference is small.

The biggest difference is the amplitude reduction once the critical speed is surpassed, not the frequency change (you can't go fast enough to change the freq. by any order of magnitude).

My understanding of the 4600 series is that they use a smaller body tube than the 5100 series. I consider the 5100's to be the bare minimum oil volume. The 4600's would only be good for a truck that never leaves the pavement.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#15 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 14 November 2019 - 02:57 PM

I think wheel-base has a bigger impact on the critical speed than does mass. Even at that, the difference is small.

I have noticed this when convoying with other vehicles of different lengths. Some of the guys are going through hell and others barely feel it. But I have NEVER seen toilet paper unravel!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#16 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 04:09 PM

https://www.shockwar...Front-24-186735

and

https://www.shockwar...-Rear-24-186742

~$350 for all:
https://www.shockwar...erado 3500 4WD (incl.+HD%2C+K3500+%26+K30)
That would get you started anyway.

Comment was made about a rubber bed mat. It was on Hole in the Rock where I realized that we really needed one. I was watching the camper do the Cha-Cha in the bed as we were driving. It helped with things like screws working loose, but didn't cure it. It did stop the Cha-Cha which is reason enough to leave it in place.

Oh, I already have new 5100’s all around.

#17 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 14 November 2019 - 05:43 PM

I was told by a Bilstein rep that the difference between the 4600 and 5100 is length...the 4600 is for stock height, but a larger circumference on the 5100 also makes complete sense. Ran them on my Dodge and it was the very first change I made to the Chevy. Muy bueno.

As a side note: the same rep told me the correct pronunciation is BilStine but I can’t seem to change over from BilSteen. Oh well.

On another note: I’ve never driven Hole in the Rock but I have driven the road to the Racetrack several times. The last time I was there my new Leer canopy, held down by OEM clamps, began to walk itself backwards off the bed rails. We had to resecure  it several times over the week. A couple of bolts have solved that issue. Washboard...hate it. 

Edited by Mighty Dodge Ram, 14 November 2019 - 05:49 PM.

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#18 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 06:37 PM

^ that's what I use, bought from here (if you're not crossing the line)

https://www.bilstein...x=19&Submit.y=7

If interested in these maybe check the cheaper 4600 also. For my rear app was told the valving is the same as the 5100, only diff is the chrome.

btw Vic were you in 4x or 2  ? ...

And, though I've read about the driving faster technique, are you sure you weren't creating at least as many vibrations, just at a different frequency. Just seems to me you'd be pounding the vehicle more. Expect every vehicle is a bit different and perhaps it works better with lighter vehicles, IDK. Whatever works ...

got the 5100's... no bed mat yet... we were mostly in 4x2 at speed

#19 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 06:38 PM

I have noticed this when convoying with other vehicles of different lengths. Some of the guys are going through hell and others barely feel it. But I have NEVER seen toilet paper unravel!

The guys in jeeps were going much slower than me, and appeared to be getting tossed around a lot more too.  

#20 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 06:52 PM

I was told by a Bilstein rep that the difference between the 4600 and 5100 is length...the 4600 is for stock height, but a larger circumference on the 5100 also makes complete sense. Ran them on my Dodge and it was the very first change I made to the Chevy. Muy bueno.

As a side note: the same rep told me the correct pronunciation is BilStine but I can’t seem to change over from BilSteen. Oh well.

On another note: I’ve never driven Hole in the Rock but I have driven the road to the Racetrack several times. The last time I was there my new Leer canopy, held down by OEM clamps, began to walk itself backwards off the bed rails. We had to resecure  it several times over the week. A couple of bolts have solved that issue. Washboard...hate it. 

Stine makes sense.... given the German spelling/pronunciation rules.

regarding loosening clamps ... my Derringer Fast guns never loosened at all during this and the remainder of the 6000 km of the trip

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users